Lilac School

Public | K-6 | 570 students

Posted May 8, 2014

This school is amazing! My daughter is in 3rd grade we moved here from Oceanside to be away from the city. It has been a amazing experience. My daughter has done so well in this school this year and has excelled so much I just can't believe it. This school has so much to offer, so many programs, events and activities. They apparently have a new principal this year and she is just amazing as well. My husband and I were so scared to make this change and are now so happy and thankful that we did. My son is in there pre-K program and will be starting kindergarten next year. I have been on campus on and off through out the year and just love this school and all the kids that go here. It's awesome! Go Lizards.

Posted April 14, 2014

I have had a problem communicating with my child's teacher. Sometimes having to get back to her several times before I get a response. They changed principals and my child has complained about being bullied by the big kids when shes at recess. They have also had a lice problem and don't seem to be too concerned with that.

Posted March 10, 2014

Don't take your kid here. This school is full of bullies. I have never been to a school that had so many mean children. A lot of the children are very rich and the other half are dirt poor. It's very segregated and the principal does nothing about it. She actually thinks her school is perfect. If your kid is getting bullied she will schedule a bully assembly 2-3 months after the fact. She does nothing to correct the behavior and I think the principal needs to wake up and see whats going on at her school before someone really gets hurt . This school is also very unorganized.

Posted December 17, 2012

Great school! Strong teachers, dedicated leadership, safe, warm, and caring environment. Strong academics and arts. Highly recommend

Posted October 18, 2012

I had three of my children enrolled at Lilac Elementry from kindergarden to 5th grade.. I can say the teachers my children (on the acception of two) have been wonderful. Very kind and personable. Though the school has been in a funk the last two years, very disorganized. They do not want to hire another teacher even though they have the funding. So the children are being shuffled around to three to four different teachers and classroomsstarting in 3rd grade through 5th. This was very disruptive to my 3rd gradrer last year. I feel the principle is a complete bully and first hand experience, does not have the childrens best interset at heart. She is manipulating and is only looking out to make more money for the school. I am happy we have moved into a better school district where the compassion and kindness thrives. I think if they found a more suitable principle for Lilac, the teachers and children would be in much better hands.

Posted December 2, 2011

My second child is in her final year at Lilac...my son (now in high school) did 2nd-5th grade there, and my daughter since kindergarten. I have nothing but praise for the school, the staff, the teachers, and the principal (especially the principal!). It has been an excellent learning and social environment for my two children, and it will be a sad day for us when we no longer have a child at Lilac next year. Both of my kids were in "GATE" programs, and were given room to grow beyond the required curriculum, encouragement to excel, and a real sense of belonging to the Lilac family. And family it is, especially when you add in the legion of parent volunteers who all contribute greatly to the school, and are appreciated by the principal and teachers!

Posted March 7, 2011

I have two children in Lilac now, with the older one in the middle. school. The older one started the second year the school was open, and from the very first day, it has been a positive experience. As in other reviews, the principal is a dedicated individual who is so personable, you instantly like her. The children respect her where they want to please her so badly, and she gives each of them individual attention. No one wants to go to her office (for a negative reason), and that deterrent comes from a mix of strength and love that works beautifully with the children. Eveyone knows everyone and the atmosphere is one of a close community, where the parents and teachers work together for the benefit of the children. My children are doing extremely well, and I owe that to the teachers/staff who are intelligent, personable and hard working, and offer our students a variety of subjects where learning is exciting, not a chore. My kids love to go to school, and I hope this foundation Lilac has given them carries forward to the higher grades. The grade levl specific incentives (treasure box, color code behavior cards, gift cards for awards etc.) get the children excited to learn!

Posted February 26, 2011

My two daughters are presently attending this school. This school has been successful because of the dedicated principal. She is by far one of the best principals I have ever known (I used to be an elementary school teacher). I get to experience this school as a parent and see it through the eyes of an educator as well. She is professional, hardworking and enjoys her profession. The students absolutely love her. The bilingual program is successful and the instructors are dedicated to the program. What impresses me most is that the principal decides what is best for the students and school (this means that not everybody will agree with her).

Posted August 5, 2010

I love LILAC ELEMENTARY school. I have five children, one now in High School that started his second grade year there down to my youngest who is going in to Kindergarten. With five kids I have experienced just about everything possible at Lilac. From the bilingual program, bullies (every school has them), teachers, parents, bell ringing ceremonies, wildfires, special needs/resource classes, AR (Accelerated Readier) Program. This school does so much for the kids the list could go on and on. My kids are very happy there and love the entire staff. The principal is the best principal I have ever met and has always treated my kids with respect and love. Just watch her walk around the campus and the kids run up to her with huge smiles. Would recommend the community and Lilac school to EVERYONE!

Posted July 18, 2010

Bilingual program is not "as advertised"-specifically the fact that the "Spanish experts" are not proficient or near proficient in English and this matters more and more as the students progress through the grade levels. More important - teacher moral/attitude toward students and teaching is at unacceptable levels in the upper grades. Recommend: don't go bilingual, especially if you have an accelerated student, and keep in close communication with your child and regular communication with other parents.

Posted June 14, 2010

My son is in Kindergarten and I know he loves school,The teachers and principal are striving for excellence and take their jobs seriously. Treasure box, all day every day ticket and bell ringing is incentives for the students to get with the program and I could not be happier with the work the school has done.My son is now a beginner reader and all I ever did was homework with him.

Posted April 15, 2010

Both my children are going through to bilingual program and loving it. They enjoy learning not only through writing and speaking, but by singing in spanish, learning about the culture through dance and history projects, and through different types of art. What I particularly like as a parent is that there are school wide 'pods' for reading and math so each child goes to a group that is at the level they need to be engaged and challenged. The education my kids are receiving is excellent.

Posted April 1, 2010

I am very pleased with Lilac's performance. My son enjoys school and likes to be involved in different activities. I see the whole school striving to excel with the direction of a strong and focused principal. I volunteer and visit the school regularly and always find the principal out and about, easily accessible to students and parents. Lilac's high academic marks reflect the staff's dedication.

Posted March 31, 2010

I have 3 children at Lilac School and couldn't be happier with not only the education they are receiving, but also the overall experience they are having during these formative years in their lives. The teachers are absolutely wonderful and nurturing and I couldn't ask for a more passionately involved principal. Every child's well being is her first concern. I highly recommend Lilac School to anyone....LILAC ROCKS!!!!!

Posted March 9, 2010

From the moment you drive over the bridge and through the beautiful oak trees you can feel that Lilac School is an amazing place. My daughter has grown so much academically in the kindergarten bilingual program. It is amazing to me that she is only 5 and already bi-literate! The school has the feeling of a small community where kids come first. Lilac Rocks!

Posted January 29, 2010

I am a first time Mom to the public school system and was reluctant to participate. I heard such great reviews from parents around town (and other towns) about Lilac Elementary, I convinced my husband to give it a chance. The Principal is outstanding! She cares about the children and about discipline. My child loves going to school, has an amazing teacher, and her safety and learning abilities have been watched closely. She is learning beyond my expectations and amazment. It is obvious that the Principal and staff put the children first. We are proud that our daughter has had the opportunity to attend Lilac Elementary and we look forward to putting our son in the system as well. Here are a few words that honestly describe the Principal: patriotic, determined, loving, caring, honorable, respectful, a great leader, and thus the school continues to be a very high performing school.

Posted August 21, 2009

My kids went to Lilac and had the worst experience. One of the teachers was very mean to my child to the point where my child was scared to go to school. The Principle was out of hand and very rude. Prior to going to Lilac my kids did really well in school and were very happy. When they attended Liliac it was like a huge change in them and they were all very unhappy. The principle of the school treated my kids unfair and cruel. It was a very sad and painful experience for my kids.

Posted March 20, 2009

Average school for this area. Concerned about teacher to student ratios and rowdiness in classrooms/school grounds. Better than most Escondido schools, but not as impressive as we'd hoped.

Posted October 24, 2007

My daughter just started Lilac Aug 2007 and so far it's been great the district is great as well with the fire at hand right now the district called us at 630am on monday at 547am to let us know there was no School on the recored message and as to date they have keep us updated. This is one informed city. Lilac Rocks!!!!

Posted June 20, 2007

We have been very happy with all aspects of Lilac. Our son just completed kindergarten and is in the bilingual program. My husband who went to private schools all his life had his doubts but is thrilled so far. Parent volunteers are highly encouraged. The principal appears to know every student by name. My son loves and respects her despite having to 'visit' her office for bad behavior on occasion.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

All Students62%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Rose Flowers
Fax number
  • (760) 751-7407

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Individually guided instruction

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Computer lab