Bad
Good

Incredible teachers new bully principal! Was great school but has changed a lot since new principal arrived. Parents are unhappy,teachers are unhappy and we have an extremely unreceptive administration. Too bad even volunteer parents that used to be plentiful are now scarce. Superintendent should have listened to complaining parents but made excuses and did not care!

There are so many bullies at this school and the duty does nothing. They can't send students to the principal because she offers no discipline support to teachers or other staff. Children are tackled, punched, hit, and come home learning every swear word you can think of from this place. There is a "certain" population that creates the bulk of behavior problems. Teachers just give kids a "think" form to fill out and nothing is done. The poor leadership at this school is a reflection of all the problems.

This school is amazing! My daughter is in 3rd grade we moved here from Oceanside to be away from the city. It has been a amazing experience. My daughter has done so well in this school this year and has excelled so much I just can't believe it. This school has so much to offer, so many programs, events and activities. They apparently have a new principal this year and she is just amazing as well. My husband and I were so scared to make this change and are now so happy and thankful that we did. My son is in there pre-K program and will be starting kindergarten next year. I have been on campus on and off through out the year and just love this school and all the kids that go here. It's awesome! Go Lizards.

I have had a problem communicating with my child's teacher. Sometimes having to get back to her several times before I get a response. They changed principals and my child has complained about being bullied by the big kids when shes at recess. They have also had a lice problem and don't seem to be too concerned with that.

Don't take your kid here. This school is full of bullies. I have never been to a school that had so many mean children. A lot of the children are very rich and the other half are dirt poor. It's very segregated and the principal does nothing about it. She actually thinks her school is perfect. If your kid is getting bullied she will schedule a bully assembly 2-3 months after the fact. She does nothing to correct the behavior and I think the principal needs to wake up and see whats going on at her school before someone really gets hurt . This school is also very unorganized.

Great school! Strong teachers, dedicated leadership, safe, warm, and caring environment. Strong academics and arts. Highly recommend

I had three of my children enrolled at Lilac Elementry from kindergarden to 5th grade.. I can say the teachers my children (on the acception of two) have been wonderful. Very kind and personable. Though the school has been in a funk the last two years, very disorganized. They do not want to hire another teacher even though they have the funding. So the children are being shuffled around to three to four different teachers and classroomsstarting in 3rd grade through 5th. This was very disruptive to my 3rd gradrer last year. I feel the principle is a complete bully and first hand experience, does not have the childrens best interset at heart. She is manipulating and is only looking out to make more money for the school. I am happy we have moved into a better school district where the compassion and kindness thrives. I think if they found a more suitable principle for Lilac, the teachers and children would be in much better hands.

My second child is in her final year at Lilac...my son (now in high school) did 2nd-5th grade there, and my daughter since kindergarten. I have nothing but praise for the school, the staff, the teachers, and the principal (especially the principal!). It has been an excellent learning and social environment for my two children, and it will be a sad day for us when we no longer have a child at Lilac next year. Both of my kids were in "GATE" programs, and were given room to grow beyond the required curriculum, encouragement to excel, and a real sense of belonging to the Lilac family. And family it is, especially when you add in the legion of parent volunteers who all contribute greatly to the school, and are appreciated by the principal and teachers!

I have two children in Lilac now, with the older one in the middle. school. The older one started the second year the school was open, and from the very first day, it has been a positive experience. As in other reviews, the principal is a dedicated individual who is so personable, you instantly like her. The children respect her where they want to please her so badly, and she gives each of them individual attention. No one wants to go to her office (for a negative reason), and that deterrent comes from a mix of strength and love that works beautifully with the children. Eveyone knows everyone and the atmosphere is one of a close community, where the parents and teachers work together for the benefit of the children. My children are doing extremely well, and I owe that to the teachers/staff who are intelligent, personable and hard working, and offer our students a variety of subjects where learning is exciting, not a chore. My kids love to go to school, and I hope this foundation Lilac has given them carries forward to the higher grades. The grade levl specific incentives (treasure box, color code behavior cards, gift cards for awards etc.) get the children excited to learn!

My two daughters are presently attending this school. This school has been successful because of the dedicated principal. She is by far one of the best principals I have ever known (I used to be an elementary school teacher). I get to experience this school as a parent and see it through the eyes of an educator as well. She is professional, hardworking and enjoys her profession. The students absolutely love her. The bilingual program is successful and the instructors are dedicated to the program. What impresses me most is that the principal decides what is best for the students and school (this means that not everybody will agree with her).

Last modified Lilac School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.