No rating

Foundations School Community

Private | K-8

Living in Van Nuys

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $276,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,210.

Posted January 16, 2011

FSC offers a magical, yet solid progressive educational experience for children. They seem to have found the perfect balance between providing students with experience based learning opportunities and also ensuring that the children receive a superb academic education. I have seen my child progress in all areas of her development and have watched the 8th grade students graduate and do extremely well in very academic high schools. Children at FSC work hard and play hard. They love school, respect and help one another, and are engaged in their learning. The community of parents is lovely and very down to earth. Teachers care about the kids and obviously love their jobs, and the director is lovely and very involved. We couldn't be happier!

Posted June 18, 2010

Progressive education at it's finest!!!!! What an amazing year our child has spent at FSC! He has grown as a student and as a human being. Last night we watched the eighth graders graduate. It was the most touching graduation one could ever imagine. They have all gotten into great high schools. They are prepared academically and are well rounded, compassionate people. We love the community and the faculty and staff. FSC is a great place for children!

Posted March 11, 2010

A brilliant education and fun place to learn!! My kids love the experience and the school! Coming to school each day is a pleasure. They are greeted by warm, caring teachers, down to earth kids, no bullies, an engaging day of learning ,with a good balance of solid academics and hands on experiences. The PE program is very effective and the dance, music, woodwork, and field trips all rock!!! Gotta love FSC!!!

Posted December 29, 2009

This is a great school and my child loves it there, the staff is excellent with the kids.

Posted October 16, 2009

I had so much fun at the FSC sing last week. The kids reported what was going on in each of their groups and the music teacher led everyone in song and we all played games and they served snacks. We got a preview of a yard sale they were going to have and one group was selling necklaces they made to raise money for a field trip. Foundations is a very cool learning environment and community.

Posted October 11, 2009

I am a parent at FSC with two kids currently enrolled there. They are kids who love school and have a wonderful support system of teachers and parents - all it all because they go to FSC. I am an educator and have had the opportunity to work with private and public schools on a daily basis and this experience makes me appreciate FSC each and every day.

Posted October 7, 2009

FSC is a magical learning environment! It is a true community. My child is receiving an excellent progressive education and is also enjoying learning. The faculty and staff are all warm and loving! They truly care about EVERY child as an individual. The school creates critical thinkers and teaches kids to solve problems peacefully. The children are involved in community service and this is obviously valued throughout the school community, as the Board gives financial aid to 40% of the students!!! The children are connected, compassionate, and SO well spoken. They leave here and enter amazing high schools. We see them thrive as they return to visit and share their stories of how well they are doing and how well prepared they were by all they were given at FSC in grades K-8th. I am so honored to be a part of this great community! Other schools should model FSC!!!!!!

Posted October 7, 2009

We love FSC. Our children have thrived as students and as wonderful human beings who love to learn and who care about the world they live in. FSC walks the walk. The school is lead by a true visionary leader!! All faculty and staff are amazing! Academics are incorporated into a truly John Dewey progressive program. FSC is educating our future leaders. Because they have children through 8th grade, they are able to help kids through those rough middle school years and then send them on to high school ready to conquer the world. Our family has been here long enough to see SO many success stories of children doing well in high school because at FSC they were taught to think, AND were given a solid academic foundation. FSC has truly found a great balance of giving it all to children. And every child feels valued, known, and loved!

Posted October 7, 2009

FSC is a wonderful K-8th grade progressive school. We are so glad that we are able to be a part of this lovely community. FSC has the perfect balance of academics, experience based learning, field trips, arts, a great PE program, excellent music and arts, caring and energetic teachers, and a director who knows and cares about every child. It is a soulful school!!!!

Posted July 3, 2009

FSC is the greatest in progressive education. This has been a wonderful experience for our family. Our child has received a well rounded academic education and has also enjoyed his learning experience. There are lots of field trips and projects. The arts and music are superb. Teachers are caring and the director is very passionate and involved with the students. There is a great balance of structure in the classrooms, but also freedom for the kids to feel safe to voice their opinions. The kids who graduate are self-confident, wonderful people, who are being accepted into many excellent high schools. The community is warm and down to earth!

Posted April 1, 2009

Foundations School Community is much more than a school! It's a way of life.It truly IS a community with all that name entails. There is our charismatic leader, your family's position in the hierarchy beneath, and the resulting sense of order and group cohesiveness that we needed. We find this way very comforting. Sometimes the level of participation can be a bit demanding, but you will get used to it. We are fortunate enough to have the time and money necessary to persevere. I wish the campus was larger and more secure, but you can't have everything. Our kids seem to enjoy the music and movement classes. I'm sure they will graduate prepared for real life, at least I hope so.

Posted March 23, 2009

I read the reviews of Foundations and, having had our daughter there for eight years, my two initial comments are: 1) the overall rating should be 5 stars; 2) the few critical reviews really do not make sense to me. I agree with the wonderful reviews I saw. My daughter has blossomed as a joyful, thoughtful delightful person who learning, life and helping others. She excels in all areas of the arts and in academics. She writes with an ease of expression I did not achieve until I graduated from law school. She has been accepted to the most prestigious high schools in LA. Sure, I would like to say she is all she is because of genetics. But I know that would not be a true statement. Foundations had a huge role in forming her development and I will always be grateful to Sheri and her tremendous teachers and staff.

Posted March 21, 2009

FSC is the best place to be. Most of us parents wish we could attend school here! From the high quality academics to the excellent field trips and community service projects - middle school kids working in New Orleans, younger kids singing to the elderly and middle aged kids passing out backpacks to the homeless - to the excellent music, PE, and drama programs, as well as the obviously dedicated teachers and the principal who even plays outside with the kids...this school has it all! The kids are happy to be at school and the graduates are getting accepted into impressive high schools!

Posted January 25, 2009

FSC was and still is a spectacular experience for both of our children. The results speak for themselves: One attends high school with a GPA of 4.1. The other is still at FSC and is two years ahead in math and reads at least one large book every few days. Both children think critically instead of simply accepting any statement as fact -- something we consider as important as reading and writing in these days of non-stop marketing and spin. Yeah, FSC is different -- that's why it works. Here is one of my favorite examples: At FSC they ask you NOT to help your child with their homework. The student is responsible at a very early age for their own efforts and works directly with their teacher to solve problems. They are self-sufficient for the rest of their lives. PM me if you have any questions.

Posted January 25, 2009

Where else can a child feel heard by her classmates, teachers, and the head of the school? Attention is given to the whole child at Foundations: academically, socially, and emotionally. With small class sizes and two teachers in each room, my children have been well nurtured and educated here. The program is very enriched with the arts, community service projects, and hands-on activities of all kinds. What Foundations produces is children who think and question, not just gloss over information to be regurgitated for a test. All children deserve the respect and the hands-on concrete learning that is provided at Foundations.

Posted January 24, 2009

Foundations offers the best in progressive education! FSC has truly found a great formula for helping children to receive an excellent academic education within an experience based learning environment. My child loves to go to school and is excited about what he is learning! He is involved in the school community, respected by his peers and teachers and will be prepared to leave FSC after 8th grade and go to any high school he chooses to. What more can I ask for as a parent? I highly recommend FSC!

Posted January 24, 2009

Both of my kids went to Foundations from Kindergarten through eight grade and are currently thriving in a public high school and a prestigious private college. They both still LOVE learning, and that feels different from their other classmates. The social and emotional care they received during their time at the school was more valuable than words can say. And the straight A's they are receiving at their respective schools speaks highly of the academic FOUNDATION they received at this amazing school. I felt totally supported by both faculty and the parent community who became my family.

Posted January 17, 2009

My child went to FSC and it was a difficult experience. I was assured all during her first years that all was fine, every report talked about how well she was doing. It was only later that it was clear she was in trouble. The school refused to take any responsibility. In my heart I feel extremely guilty, I know she will never truly recover from missing out on her early education. From reading the positive reviews you may conclude that it works for some. Perhaps, but do you really want to take the chance. I am here to tell you that it is almost impossible for your child to catch up. Remember the children who are still there in the upper grades are the ones who weren't hurt by the school. Everyone else has left. The problem is you won't know until it is too late.

Posted December 15, 2008

FSC offers an overall excellent education! I am a past student who is now excelling in a very academic, traditional private school.I work very hard, often doing several hours of homework each night, but I enjoy the challenge of learning new and interesting information. I went to FSC for K-8th grade and I feel that it prepared me not only for the academic challenges of high school, but for the social and emotional situations that I have encountered as well. At FSC, all of the teachers help the kids with social issues and the principal knows and interacts with every kid too. This was very important to me and to my friends because we knew that we always had an adult we could talk to who cared about us. I like my high school a lot, but I really miss and value the time I spent at FSC.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 3, 2008

We have been at FSC for 7 years now. What started as a simple question from my husband about progressive education, has turned into the best decision we could have made for our daughter. She is thriving academically, as well as socially and most importantly, emotionally. The value, the gift she has received from this community is truly priceless. Her ability to stay clear, level headed and compassionate in some of the toughest situations that have come up in her life can only be attributed to the nurturing, patience and dedication of the collective faculty and staff of FSC. We recommend FSC to anyone who believes in educating a complete person, not just one or two facets.

Ethnicity This school
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1%
Two or more races 1%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • Elem- 9am; ms-8
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Computer lab
  • Library

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now