Van Nuys, CA

Posted August 03, 2015
I was a 2015 senior at Valley Alt and I had been there since the 6th grade. This school has prepared me my for my future in ways that I can't even describe (even when I wasn't the best student). I don't understand the other reviews that say negative things about this school, yes we have a farm and no we don't have a gym, the students don't have gym uniforms (but are free to change if they want), and we don't have an auditorium but we do have an amphitheater. Bullying isn't a problem here and new students are welcomed with open arms. There are no sports but students are welcomed to tryout for the Birmingham sports teams. The teachers are called by their first names but they are treated with respect and so are the students. The VAS staff cares about every student and when needed (academic and personal) students can ask the teachers for help. Over all this school is wonderful, with small class sizes and a very family-like atmosphere. If you want your children to grow up with a great education, a healthy social life, and admission into a university right after high school this is the high school for you.

Posted March 24, 2015
I am a sophomore at this school, and I have attended since the sixth grade. This school is very unique gives many opportunities that some schools don't. The school is K-12. We have a farm on campus with rabbits, turtles, turkeys, chicken, gouts, horses, and more animals. Every Tuesday and Thursday a bus takes the grades 10-12 to Valley Collage to take collage classes from 9:45-12:45. On campus we call all of the teachers and staff by their first name. The school is very small so most of the teachers know all of their students first names and last names

Posted November 01, 2014
Valley Alternative is a gem in the valley! The campus offers Kindergarten through 12th grade. The school is small and intimate. Teachers are called by their first names and know the students on a first name basis as well. This year brings a new Principal who is amazing! She is very involved with the students and truly cares about their best interest. Yes, the school lacks a gym and auditorium, but it's a trade off. This is a safe, friendly environment for students to get a good education. The staff is great!

Valley Alternative Magnet 1

Posted September 24, 2014
This school is a terrible school. It is kindergarten to 12 grade and they all call their teachers by their first names. Most of the teachers are rude and don't really care for their the lunch area is very small, students. They don't have a gym, PE lockers or an auditorium. The students have to do PE in their regular clothes, sweat, then go to class with those sweaty clothes. There is no gym, so rainy days weren't fun. Also there is no auditorium but they have a farm which is behind the cafeteria. They have no sports teams or bands or anything fun like that but they have a farm (what?). The staff doesn't take bullying, fights, or dress code seriously. There were students who came to school pracitcally naked and there were fights happening in and out of class and nothing was done to stop them. Overall, the school needs to be rebuilt with a better administration and staff along with the gym, PE lockers, etc. Regular hall lockers are really tiny and have to be shared because there arent enough. They don't have a class set of books and they have to carry all the books back and forth. If your are a parent thinking about taking your child there, reconsider it.

Valley Alternative Magnet 4

Posted June 09, 2014
(continued) Also, at this school I have the advantage of my teachers really caring about me, my future, and guiding me towards success. So regardless of the lack of sports, or the cafeteria food, or other irrelevant nonsense, when it comes down to what really matters, which is the education, the genuine care teachers have for their students, and preparation for college and the real world, VAS is where you should want to send your child. To wrap it up, the people who wrote all the negative and unimportant comments are probably the ones who did not put any effort into their education or in the parents' cases, their children's educations. As cheesy as it may sound, at VAS we really are a family. Although no family is perfect, we still are pretty great and we overcome our challenges just fine without a large faculty or a lot of money, because like I said that is not what really matters.

Valley Alternative Magnet 4

Posted June 09, 2014
Hi my name is Meri and I will soon be a sophomore at VAS. I have been attending this school since sixth grade, and without a doubt it is great! Some might argue that we lack AP classes and sports teams, but sports are always available at any given time outside of school. But when can you go to a community college 8 hours a week during school time and get credits for highschool and college at the same time? At VAS. That is definitely more beneficial than an AP class, because your child has the opportunity to go straight into university with a lot of college units already completed, specifically the IGETC.

Valley Alternative Magnet 3

Posted June 02, 2014
This school is good at a certain level, but some of the students that go here can be very immature and disrespectful to peers and faculty. What's good about this school is LAVC and job site, that's about it. In my opinion, they really should get rid of the farm, it only brings flies into the classrooms, which gets really annoying. Some teachers' grading systems are ridiculous and should be altered to become more reasonable for students that are having a hard time in the class. And it is somewhat true that teachers only focus on kids who are already doing well.

Posted May 13, 2014
This is a AWESOME school and I love going to school every day because the teachers know how to make learning fun and interesting. I do agree that the coffee cake is disgusting but, who cares about the food, school is for learning not eating. The teachers know their stuff and are smart but a few teachers rise above the rest (Jennelle Stewart, Albert Estrada, and David Santamaria). I give my school five stars because I like it .

Valley Alternative Magnet 2

Posted May 10, 2014
This school is great in academics but when a person is failing ,zero help is brought to them. The teachers only focus on students that are already doing good and don't help the other students at all the teat hers are very rude for example the bio teacher , although he know what he is teaching and does a good job at it ,he insults you and embarrass you if you make a little mistake. The school does not have extra curricular activities to entertain them and a lot of students are focused in drugs you may not see it but as a student that interacts with other secrecy i have seen that many students are under the influence. This school cares of nothing except how good a person's grade can be. The school money is very poor due to the farm animals they need to spend the little money we have on the food and other animal needs so they are not capable of spending money on educational programs for the students. The schools lunches are dreadful and its the reason many students starve themselves the breakfast is nothing but cold bread and disgusting coffee cake EVERY SINGLE DAY. I personally DO NOT recommend this school.

Valley Alternative Magnet 1

Posted May 04, 2014
There is a lot of bullying at this school and the administration doesn't do anything about it. Do not send your child here. If I could, I would give it zero stars.

Valley Alternative Magnet
6701 Balboa Boulevard, Van Nuys, CA  91406
Last modified Valley Alternative Magnet is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley Alternative Magnet Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top