Posted December 24, 2013
This is my first year at CHAMPS and I love it so much the teachers are amazing like no other school I've been to or will ever go to. They take your personal needs into consideration and theres many teachers there that are just amazing, indescribable. The counselors/teachers have helped me try to accomplish my dream of theatre tech and college, something I'll always be grateful for. The atmosphere is amazing, no one judges you and it's a very nice, comforting environment to learn in an everyday basis.

Posted December 01, 2013
Don't just read the reviews ... bring your student for a tour of the school during session ... you will see the encouraging, charismatic learning environment and student engagement for yourself! Another parent wrote this in their review ... but this is how we came to choose CHAMPS. My daughter and I visited three schools during her 8th grade year, and she chose CHAMPS as a result of what she saw during our tour. We weren't disappointed! She loves school for the first time I can remember. Come and visit ... you'll see, too!

Champs - Charter High School Of Arts-Multimedia & Performing 4

Posted November 09, 2013
I was a bit skeptical after transferring to this school a little more than a month after starting sophomore year. Having come from a poorly managed LAUSD high school that failed to address my needs - both socially and academically, I applied to CHAMPS in a last resort effort to salvage my high school experience. Hearing mixed reviews about the CHAMPS experience since my middle school years at the Walter Reed IHP, I wasn't too sure if it was the right decision to make such an abrupt change. Thankfully, I went with my gut instinct and transferred - proving to be one of the best decisions of my life. Though the school isn't perfect, I have been provided with the opportunity to take several rigorous AP classes, play at the House of Blues with the award-winning jazz band, and more recently be a part of the renowned debate team. Though kids at the school can be rude and cliquey at times, I have made far more meaningful social connections then I would have at my previous school. If you're a parent or student who is interested in a unique high school experience, definitely consider CHAMPS. College acceptance rates are eve on par with most LA private schools. Only downside is the campus..
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 25, 2013
We have a new principal at Champs that is continuing the great work of our previous principal with her own spin! She is helping to bring new programs to our school to benefit the parents and students. We have been having Parent ed type programs aimed at teen issues all parents need to be aware of. Looking forward to more new additions to this wonderful school. Come check it out!!!

Posted October 24, 2013
My son is a freshman in the jazz band and he could not be happier. He had a tough time in middle school with his peers. The environment at CHAMPS harbors students who support one another. The curriculum is rigorous! This school is definitely for the more motivated student. New principal is very present and involved. School needs more parent involvement. There is no PTA/booster club president so meetings have been cancelled.

Champs - Charter High School Of Arts-Multimedia & Performing 4

Posted October 20, 2013
My daughter has thrived at Champs since she transferred here several weeks after starting 9th grade at another school. The teachers, for the most part, are young, enthusiastic and creative in their approach to teaching. They're not jaded like many LAUSD teachers who are just waiting for their retirement package to kick in. These teachers WANT to be here and they want to make a difference in their students lives. I'm not saying this is true of every teacher, but a good percentage of them fit this description. It's a great school for kids who don't necessarily want to be in a typical academic environment. There's much more room to express individuality and creativity. The new principal is a bit on the old-fashioned side and I hope she eases up on the strict rules she's imposed, like dress coding, since she started this year. She needs to have a more compassionate understanding of her student body. But overall, I couldn't be happier with the education my daughter is receiving at Champs.

Champs - Charter High School Of Arts-Multimedia & Performing 3

Posted October 19, 2013
CHAMPS young enthusiastic teachers. Changes this year at the administrative level are troublesome and confusing. It seems a little too top heavy with a principal, assistant principal, E.D, Etc. Weekly info from the school has declined. VERY limited sports. No orchestra, but there is great jazz band. Performing arts is strong, with multi media being 2nd. Robotics used to be very strong, but have not heard this year. Honors and AP classes.available. The college guidance team: If you want your kid to get into a college that is a good fit for them, Anne and Yasmine will make that happen. They are knowlegeble, passionate, and really like and understand teensagers. I overheard one mom say, "when Anne gets up to talk to the kids at meetings, she is greeted like a rock star" and that is true. There is a BOD, .I don't know what they are doing. They don't seem forthcoming. They seem to want to put more kids than can fit. (my opinion) because more kids=more money. And while that is true a lot of people like CHAMPS precisely because it is smaller. There is no PTA. There is a governance council, and booster club. My student agrees that the kids get along better than at most schools.

Posted October 04, 2013
CHAMPS has made major, major headway in recent years. They have a college acceptance rate that rivals many of the top private schools. The college counselor Anne Cochran has been named national "College Counselor that Changes Lives", 2013 "YALE Educator of the Year" and is a correspondent on college success for FOX NEWS. Many of the educators at CHAMPS have many years of experience in the entertainment industry and continue to write, produce and direct professional theatre and film. There are several award winning teachers and the performing arts specialists are at the top of their game. Many arts educators at CHAMPS arrived from major universities, THE MUSIC CENTER and schools like LACHSA and Juilliard.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 27, 2013
We love this school. The teachers and the staff are very committed to the students. My daughter has been really happy so far. The only downside of the school is the location. My daughter is okay with it though.

Champs - Charter High School Of Arts-Multimedia & Performing 3

Posted May 03, 2013
I think that CHAMPS gives different experiences for different parents and students. If you are in performing arts with their separate PTA and are wealthy, your experience can be very different from a student from the neighborhood with no money to donate. Having said that there are also great differences in different academies and departments. Math and science outside of the upper level AP and honors course and excepting some biology are abysmal. Test scores bear that out. English and social studies seem to be much stronger with exceptions. Communication has improved somewhat. There is still a distinct problem with teachers and administration failing to answer emails, return calls, address issues and teachers have a problem with timely entry of grades into Teacherease. BUT, I have seen the school working to weed out poorly performing teachers and only one of my child's teachers this year fails to answer any emails or phone calls. For an artistic child it's a good choice. For the more academically inclined it's a mixed bag and you need to be very proactive. The new ED seems very professional. Perhaps the new principal will remedyb the leadership vaccum.

Champs - Charter High School Of Arts-Multimedia & Performing
6842 Van Nuys Boulevard, Van Nuys, CA  91405
Last modified Champs - Charter High School Of Arts-Multimedia & Performing is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Champs - Charter High School Of Arts-Multimedia & Performing Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 193 reviews. Top