Public charter
Van Nuys, CA

Posted November 19, 2014
My daughter, husband & I are very happy with this school. especially the T/K teacher Ms. Meza, she is an amazing teacher, she is perfect for TK kids in every way. I strongly recommend this school !

Chandler Learning Academy 2

Posted May 10, 2014
I'm only experiencing kinder, so I can only comment on that grade. Teachers who are great in kinder are Barragan and Meza. Most of the families in kinder are amazing, so that's the plus. For my taste there isn't enough emphasis on the emotional well-being of the kids. My teacher does care, but the school's main focus is learning/teaching their aggressive lesson plans. I admit this could be a LAUSD issue in any school that would make me feel disappointed. It certainly is a good enough school to send your child for a year to see if it is a happy place for your family. I just can't get on board with many of the rules and priorities that are set by the office. And I can't stomach some of the ways that children are yelled at by both administration and teachers - even at the kinder level there is a lot of yelling with angry intonations. It's not a place for lots of fun... it's for learning. For some that is great news. But I think kinder should be fun and should be more of a bridge between preschool (or no school) and 1st grade.

Posted May 09, 2014
I grew up in the Chandler area & attended from kindergarten thru 6th (the norm then) during the 50's until 'promotion' to jr. high in Jan. '61 (we had mid-terms). In early years we were often so crowded that we had split sessions. I recall attending a.m. or p.m. sessions for a year during second grade. No problem! I've been back in the area for years & am amazed at how the school's 'look' has changed (for the better!) -- since I don't know what the actual teaching is like I can't comment (hence 4 stars) but kids playing outside look very happy when I drive by. I'm pleased at how nice the school looks--far nicer than in the 50's yet it was fine then, too. Now there's grass, trees, murals, & A/C in the rooms. Wow! When voting (in the aud.) one election, I took a tour of the school and memories came flooding back. It was great! Some gripe about class size but 30+ students was the NORM in the 50's and we had no problem LEARNING, even with intense heat and no A/C. There was bullying back THEN, too. It's normal & always was. You deal with it & get thru it. People today are so WHINY & pathetic. Buck UP! Chandler seems great! I'd send my child there if he wasn't 38 --

Posted September 26, 2013
My son started kindergarten at Chandler this fall. Coming from a very small, close-knit preschool, I was nervous about the whole public school thing. I feel very lucky to be in Chandler's district because it was a seamless transition for all of us. My son absolutely ADORES his teacher, loves doing his homework (seriously), and comes home telling me what he has learned. In only a month, I have noticed extreme changes in the way he learns and what he finds interesting. I am very impressed with the way the school is run, and how passionate the parents are. Like ANY school, there are kinks that need to be worked out, but I see big things in the future for Chandler. They just opened a science lab, they have music and art, and the after-school options are great. I am happy we began our elementary journey here, and I look forward to seeing it grow.

Posted September 26, 2013
My school is a wonderful little community school. The teachers are great and really care about the school and the children that go there. There are a lot of parents who are investing in making the school even greater, and that is HUGE. We live close enough to walk and my son loves that. There are trees and grass and that is rare for a public school, most are concrete jungles. My son is loving it, he's excited to go to school everyday and that is wonderful to see.

Chandler Learning Academy 1

Posted September 09, 2013
Test scores are going down at this school and have been for a while. Poor parent involvement. Some teachers seem to really care about the kids, but you have just as many that seem checked out. The special education at this school is REALLY lacking. If you can go to Dixie, Sherman Oaks, Kester or Hesby Oaks you should.

Posted August 27, 2013
We are so lucky to attend Chandler. My son is thriving and learning. The staff is very supportive and the teachers are amazing. My son has never been bullied and he has a lot of good friends. The one incident we heard of was taken care of right away by his teacher and the administration. It is a great school.

Posted August 24, 2013
Chandler elementary is an awesome school. It pains me to see that one parent above stated negative comments about our principal. I have worked as a teacher at Chandler for over 20 years and I still love our school. The teachers are outstanding and the students are exceptional human beings. Our principal has done a tremendous job of providing technological resources for students and staff members to reach our full potential. This is clealy evident in the fact that we became a California Distinguished School. I am very proud to be a staff member at Chandler Elementary School.

Posted August 22, 2013
Both of my children have graduated from Chandler. I must say this elementary school has prepared them for middle school beyond my expectations. As for the review below, you can not please everyone and everyone can not have a wonderful experience. I am sad to read the review that the child was bullied and the parents were not happy. But it happens at every school. As for the Principal McIntyre, she is great. Bottom line. You will not find a more dedicated and attentive principal in the area. She gets the job done with flying colors. Chandler, thank for the great education. This was a great school for my kids.

Chandler Learning Academy 1

Posted August 21, 2013
Principal, Kristine McIntyre, has no leadership abilities and lacks a total sense of responsibility. My daughter was in session for 6 months and had 4 different teachers. In that time, the class size was 30-35 students per classroom to one teacher. She was bullied twice: once when hit in the face with a lunch pail and the second, when a child kicked her in the stomach while she was on the apparatus. She had to find an adult to mediate the situation herself, Principal McIntyre, who neither called or sent a note home to inform us. It was not until our daughter complained of her rib hurting that we knew. I called principal McIntyre to seek to understand the situation, who took zero accountability for any of the events. Her only apology was, "I'm sorry you feel that way". Coincidently we received a letter home that week that stated our daughter was reading and writing below expectations. She is now in a private school where she has received 2 student of the month awards & 2 report cards above average. My 7 year old cringes when we now drive past Chandler Elementary. If you want an enriching, safe and tolerant environment, I would not recommend Chandler Elementary to you.

Chandler Learning Academy
14030 Weddington Street, Van Nuys, CA  91401
Last modified Chandler Learning Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chandler Learning Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top