Bad
Good

Posted December 04, 2014
Erwin has a new principal who is very supportive of students, parents, staff, and faculty. We have a computer lab to prepare students for the new Smarter Balanced tests and life in a tech-driven world. Teachers at Erwin are very dedicated to their students and work collaboratively within and across grade levels. Our academic expectations are high, and we welcome parent participation. The school provides gifted education and intervention services, and we have a nurse and psychologist on staff. Thanks to a our dynamic PTA and Parent Center, we are able to raise money to provide extracurricular activities for our students. Erwin Elementary School has created a safe and caring environment with an emphasis on academic excellence.

Posted October 14, 2014
I really love Erwin St. Elem. My child receives quality education. He loves his teacher and his friends. The principal is very attentive to the children's needs. The principal also listens to & responds to feedback (positive & negative). From what I have witnessed, he wants to make our school better. When we first started at Erwin, I was a little hesitant. I thought that the population (including a large number of "English learners") would be a hindrance in the classroom. My fears were far from the truth. My son is exposed to a melting pot of cultures (which is extremely valuable). He receives a great education. Few children seem to lag because of language barriers. Parents need the translation sometimes, but students seem completely competent with the English language. Another fear when entering the school was the score. I hate seeing the giant "5" on great schools. I spoke the principal about this recently. He explained that because of CA's move to a new testing system, the scores are stuck whether we improve or not. Until we are past the beta stages & until we integrate a new rating system that takes the new testing system into account, there's not much we can do.

Posted October 06, 2014
Don't let that 5 fool you. This school is a gem! The teachers are engaging, the administration is dedicated, and the students are sweet. The PTA is under new leadership, and they're strongly committed to creating a community at Erwin and raising money for our students. If you live in the Erwin district, you should really send your kids here.

Posted August 14, 2014
I have worked at multiple schools during my teaching career, and I have been happiest by far at Erwin (this is now my 7th year). We have dedicated teachers, a strong principal (Kevin McClay), and motivated students. Each year, the school invests in new technology and continued education and training for the staff. The focus never strays away from doing what is best for our students and helping them achieve their full potential.

Posted August 14, 2014
This is a wonderful school to send your children to. The teachers are dedicated to providing an enriching and fulfilling education. Teachers are friendly and professional. The principal is welcoming to parents and is an excellent school leader. Don't be mislead, come check out this great school for yourself!

Posted March 19, 2013
Great school great teachers in a great neighborhood! Our kids are happy and thriving here. So glad the school is off of any busy streets right in the middle of a wonderful neighborhood.

Erwin Elementary School 3

Posted February 27, 2011
My child is in this school and the students who are English Learners they still,need more help in writing skills also in math all public schools need more after school programs or before school I wish the teachers,will volunteer and gave classes to kids.

Erwin Elementary School 3

Posted October 06, 2010
This school had a API score jump after a test taking methods/teaching to the test guru consulted with the school/teachers. A sure way to get scores up but does taking the SAT prep course really make anyone smarter - or just better at taking tests. There are some effective teachers but dismal quality afterschool programs which make it a hard choice for some parents in the area.

Posted August 23, 2010
Great school, nice teachers, It has a gifted and Talanted education program, which offers a more challenging and faced paced curriculum for identified 3rd 4th and 5th grade students. it Also has a free preschool program which is great, overall I'm very happy with this school.

Posted June 10, 2009
I graduated from there in 2005 it is a great academic school and has many after shcool activities to offer.

Erwin Elementary School
13400 Erwin Street, Van Nuys, CA  91401-3014
Last modified Erwin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.