Robert Fulton College Preparatory School

Public | 6-12

Living in Van Nuys

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $276,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,210.

Posted June 22, 2014

We need a lot of work here at fulton, academic wise and fundamental. I kept my kids in fulton middle because we have had a couple of great teachers. Some teachers are still there for the kids and not a paycheck but there's a lot to be done. I've attended a couple of the workshop that show the alignment of where fulton need to be and is heading but I can't waste time when it comes to my kids education. My son just graduated fulton middle but he will not attend fulton for high school. I want him to experience more than what fulton has to offer. Yes his commute is convenient for us BUT I would be failing him as a parent if I didn't want more for my child and currently fulton is not it.

Posted May 22, 2013

The school is run down. Students are just hanging out on the yard during class time and no one is watching them. The principal is no where to be seen and there is no security for this middle/high school. Teachers are grouchy and impatient. The students look board during class time there is obviously no motivation.

Posted August 21, 2012

good school but need to work on uniforms people cant buy them my daughter name is Destiny Hernandez

Posted February 23, 2012

This school has one of the worst academics please be cautioned by this school it is very bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted September 12, 2011

I'm an old alum (80's) and am disheartened that the school is no longer just a Jr. High and how it's deteriorated. My Nephew attended the school for 1 year and got very little out of it. Like anything, it's hit and miss with certain programs and teachers. His mother, who is not academically inclined, asked me to review his education and progress. After looking over his curriculum and work and discussing his education at length with him and some teachers, I compared it to other local schools and schools outside the district (where I now live). I think this school definitely has potential, but it's many years away from achieving it. If your goal is eventually to get your child to a good college after high school, go elsewhere. The teaching and educational environment at this point are very lacking and unorganized and parent involvement is minimal. If you have a choice, I'd go elsewhere in the area - other charters or magnets. Fortunately for my nephew, he can live with me to attend school but I'm convinced that had he stayed, he would be aimless and unmotivated. I'm sad as a proud alum to have to give this negative review but hopefully things will get better soon.

Posted April 8, 2011

It's a very good and academic school, the teachers here in Fulton and great, so far i've been learning plenty of new things and i think it would be a great school to graduate out of.

Posted January 22, 2010

Fulton College Preparatory School had made some very significant strides over the past few years. The teachers are dedicated to their professional craft of educating youngsters, and they do their best to challenge and inspire their clients. The counselors listen, care, and have a true open door policy with the students. The Deans are firm, but very fair. The administrators are very committed to educational excellence, and have developed some wonderful program and policies, such as the uniform policy, the cadet programs, and the high school's lofty academic standards.

Posted January 17, 2010

this school is great, teachers great, principal very motivational and respectful of the students; students come before anyone else

Posted January 4, 2010

I attended Fulton College Prep. since I was in 6th grade til' I graduated class of '09!! Oh yeah! any who Fulton is a great school and i wouldnt see why people say its a 'bad' school ! The teachers are the best & you learn many things!!!

Posted November 2, 2009

The best school my son ever went to the community was great also.

Posted October 29, 2009

My daughter went to ROBERT FULTON PREPARATORY. since 6 grade and graduated 8th and High School I'm very happy and proud of her. Good Job and GreatSchool.

Posted August 31, 2009

Fulton is by far the best school that I have attended. It may not be perfect like some parents would want it but they do their best. The teachers, if the students accept, help them with everything; they care about the students and take their own time to help us out. If we need it and ask for it as well. The best part of this school is that there aren't many groups in there. Everyone is mixed with everyone else; and the 'gangs' aren't there. If there are they know where it's time to take things serious.

Posted August 29, 2008

My children had a fantastic year at Fulton. The campus was safe and the cleanest I have seen. My high school student loved their activities but more could have been done for middle school. Parent involvement is awful. Maybe if more parents were involved and donated to the school students could have more fun activities. It takes money. Overall my kids love their teachers and the school

Posted August 26, 2008

Okey well i've been going to this school for three years now. and sad to say that it wasn't as fun as i expected my middle school to be. it wasn't only boring but some of the teachers were just way to mean and really unorganized. i'm not sure if i'm going to be staying for high school but if i do hopefully my highschool years would be way better than middleschool.

Posted June 14, 2008

I'm an 8th grader at Fulton & all I have to say is that I'm glad i'm graduating. I'm not staying there for another year & I'm happy. There are not many electives, activites, & priviledges for middle school students. There aren't even any lockers for the middle school students. I never really liked Fulton. The only thing I actally liked about Fulton were the friends you made there but that's it. I also liked the Dance program. Our Drill team, Cheerleaders, Hip-Hop team, & Dance classes are actually very good. Our dance teacher, Ms. Gray, is absolutely amazing.

Posted January 23, 2008

This is the 2nd year my children are in this school and i got to say my opinion still stands firm when i say i am very content with it. My kids continue to be in the cadet progam and i continue to support them in it. I am a proud parent of Sargent Herlinda Sandoval and Cadet Peter Calloway. Parents need to be more involved then leaving it all to the staff. The principal has always been there when we had a problem and when we were celebrating a promotion ceromony for the cadets.

Posted September 1, 2007

First of all the principal needs to be on campus more, whenever I call to talk to him they always say he's off campus at a meeting or very busy. There is noting for middle school students, the inportants seems to be high school now.

Posted April 3, 2007

i am not a parent but used to be a former student at Fulton College Prep. school from my experience i learned a lot from joining the cadet corps in my 6, 7 8, and my first semester in 9th grade. This school to be is the ovarall best in the lausd and in my eyes. Fulton is the future for our future kids and future goals. Cadet Major Irdwin Wan Knight High School (Palmdale)
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 4, 2007

This school is by far the worst in caring for students. I don't know why they included a high school when they couldn't even handle middle school. I used to be at this school just less than a year ago and the classes aren't that great as they claim. Don't expect any social events,student council, or dances due to lack of sutdent participation. Not enough adult supervision.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 10, 2006

My two children attend this school and I am very happy with it. They are also in cadet corps and im also pleased to say that my children are more responsible and take orders a little serious now.

This school's

(2012)

1 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

1 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

286 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

232 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

384 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

376 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

184 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

225 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

169 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students30%

Parent education - high school graduate22%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)47%
Parent education - declined to state24%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

210 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students71%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 2026 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields