Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Develops character: Strongly agree

Everyone is treated with respect and equality. People help one another and support each other to be the best they can be.

Everyone at Broadway is amazing. It is a school filled creativity, community and love. Both parents and students alike are happy and active. The staff is fabulous. The teachers teach with a heart. Principal Wang is proactive, thoughtful and a powerful woman with a great big heart. We love Broadway!!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Wow wow wow. The teachers here are simply amazing. The Principal has done a great job of screening for and hiring only the most qualified, comitted teachers. Think about it -- for the immersion programs' "team teaching" model, each teacher needs to do effectively twice as much work (e.g. grading two sets of homework) since the classes swap halfway through the day. You don't sign up for a job like this unless you are SUPER COMMITTED to the vocation of teaching. A round of applause for Broadway teachers!

Amount of homework: no rating

Look, if you want to enroll your child in an intellectually-rigorous program that will build strong cognitive muscles, you have to realize that this requires work. The immersion kids have, on top of the homework other schools have, additional work in their target language each night. I don't like how this question is worded, however -- is the extra homework "too much"? Or is it "just right" / what is needed to develop true fluency in another language? As parents, we are attracted to this school for its rigorous academics, so "additional" homework is actually welcome (especially if you look at how other schools in LAUSD fare!)

My daughter is currently in the Spanish immersion program at Broadway Elementary. She is receiving a first-rate education in a diverse and stimulating environment. Principal Wang, the teachers and the parents all work diligently to make Broadway an exemplary learning institution.

A really dedicated group of parents in both the SI and MI programs + an amazing principal is what makes this school a gem. My child is in the SI program and we love it. Fantastic teachers. He is getting such a quality education, a multicultural environment, and all this is at a free public school. I would just say be prepared to contribute. This is school needs the hard working parents - that either can give money or time to make this school the success it is.

My son has attended the SI (Spanish Immersion) program from the start of the program. I love the school and that the teachers are so passionate about what they do! It's wonderful to hear him starting to communicate in Spanish. The program is 50/50 split... he attends half the day in English and half the day in Spanish (they never hear the teachers speaking in English). I'm excited to have the opportunity to give my son this valuable education of dual languages without the private school cost. I highly recommend this program!!!

My son is a Kinder in the Mandarin Immersion Program (MI) at Broadway Elementary School. We're almost at the end of the Kinder year and couldn't be happier with the school, the teachers and all the parents we met throughout the year. Like many other families, we permitted out of our highly rated school district to give this a shot and we're so happy that we did. My son is now singing, speaking, writing and reading in both Mandarin and English at almost equal fluency. If you're looking for an academically challenging school while having fun learning it and with a family feel, then this is the right school/program for you. I disagree with one of the previous reviewers that the school hardly offers any opportunity for parent involvement. If anything, I almost think it offers too many opportunities. ;)

Our daughter is now wrapping up her second year in the Mandarin Immersion program and we couldn't be happier. Parents of preschool friends often gave us dumbfounded looks when we told them that we were not going to our neighborhood's 10-rated Westwood Charter, but after two years we strongly feel that we made the right choice. Don't be fooled by the 7-rating on Great Schools, as that average is pulled down by the neighborhood school children who share this campus with the two immersion programs. The Mandarin Immersion program has only completed one year of API testing and scored a perfect 10, yet probably deserves even better due to the added difficulty of learning to speak, read and write in two very different languages. The environment is super friendly and the children have so much fun that they don't realize how much they are learning. (Don't believe the other review that claims the school is very strict, its not true.) This is as good as it gets for public schools, and none of the nearby private or charter schools offer the rigor of a dual language education.

I highly recommend the Mandarin Program. My son is in first grade and not only is he speaking Mandarin to me, his English and Math are either on par or ahead of other non-immersion schools. That was a big concern for me so I try to evaluate the English portion to make sure that we're not sacrificing the English portion. The teachers are great, they are caring but they make it clear that they are there to teach. Music and art are incorporated into the lessons as much as they can. The parent community is very involved and the principal and teachers are responsive to parent concerns. I couldn't be happier with the program!

Last modified Broadway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.