Venice, CA
After care: No

Broadway Elementary School 4

Posted November 10, 2014
Our son started Kindergarten this year in the Spanish Immersion (SI) program, and he is really enjoying it. :) It's split 50% instruction in English, and 50% instruction in Spanish. Everyday now he comes home singing Spanish songs and making jokes in Spanish - and we're not even at 100 days yet! Overall seems like a terrific school with a super supportive parent community. The SI program is just two years new, so there are still some growing pains, but still, great people, wonderful kinder teachers, and a fabulous school leader in vice principal Olegario Maravilla. I see a real drive to make the school more than exceptional, and strongly believe in Broadway SI's potential and raising the bar for what a neighborhood elementary school should be. We could have gone to the other "neighborhood" school with just a regular all English program, but we thought about the future, and if our son sticks with the SI program track all the way through high school, he'll be fully college level literate in Spanish before graduation. I couldn't think of a better long term life skill to have living in Southern California. More so, my son is a happy learner at Broadway SI with happy parents!

Posted October 09, 2014
We are in our second year at Broadway Mandarin Immersion and we are absolutely impressed by the quality of teaching that we are receiving in a Public School! Our son is learning Chinese, he adores his teachers and has made many friends. Our principal has amazing leadership and compassion. The parents are very involved and the population is diverse.

Posted October 05, 2014
Broadway Elementary is trying to do something beyond what most parents in regular English programs can understand. Any negative reviews for this school by previous posters are most likely not in either the MI or SI programs. This was a failing school all but a few years ago. The MI program came in and raised up this school that no one in the local community really seemed to care about. The principal is currently being split between three programs, having to deal with LAUSD politics along with the daily issues of running a school. I applaud what the MI and SI programs are trying to do, it requires strong parental involvement, time and money. This is not just a drop your kids off at school place. The program's success is a reflection of how much the parents ARE the school.

Broadway Elementary School 1

Posted September 29, 2014
This school is amazing academically but if you are looking for feel good, creative program-- do not look at the Mandarin Program. It is strict and lacks fun. It seems like the school could do something to make it a more enjoyable experience for kids. Also, they ask the parents for A LOT of money! There is no room for lower income families if you ask me. They cater to the rich.

Broadway Elementary School 1

Posted August 22, 2014
Second time posting... seems like my first post was deleted. Here is goes again. My worst decision as a parent was to send my son to this school. The school is split into 2 programs and it is pretty clear to see which program is favored. The principal seems to undermine the intelligence of the parents and act as if this isn t obvious to see. The teachers lack enthusiasm for teaching and the office staff could learn some manners from my 6 year old son. The school hardly offers the opportunity for parent involvement which makes it difficult to have a strong relationship with the staff. Worst school in this district! Stay away!

Posted March 02, 2014
Broadway is a great school. We went with the Mandarin program because research shows learning a pictorial language (Chinese, Arabic etc ) in conjunction with a phonetic language (English) challenges the brain even more. Plus, the Mandarin program parents have raised funds so every Mandarin classroom has a TA and the children (in every grade) get to take multiple field trips (unlike the other programs at Broadway, and the majority of schools within LAUSD). To date, LAUSD has not committed any funds towards moving the program to another location and has failed to execute any previous plans for such a move. I don t think they have the money to build anything, anywhere, on the Westside. Time will tell.

Posted February 27, 2014
Our daughter is a kindergartner in the Spanish Immersion program. There is currently a lot of change happening at Broadway, namely, the Mandarin program has grown too big for the school and so is being moved to a new location over the course of the next three years. Currently there are only two SI classes but that will grow as Mandarin transitions. We are so incredibly happy with our experience here so far. Ole Maravilla (the Vice Principal and SI champion) is a fantastic leader and very passionate about the school and the kids.There is wonderful group of families and parent involvement is very high. Most importantly the teachers are phenomenal! I have an older child that went through the Santa Monica school system and I can say with out any reservation that both Mrs. Nagata and Sra Carvajal are among the best teachers I have ever worked with. I have always been heavily involved in the classroom, spending up to 15 hours per week at times, so have experience with many different teachers. I honestly can not say enough good things about them. Our daughter is absolutely thriving! We feel so incredibly blessed and grateful to be a part of this fabulous program.

Posted October 21, 2013
I am the parent of a first grader at Broadway. My daughter transferred into kindergarten six weeks after school began last year. I have been delighted with the school, from the principal all the way down to the janitorial staff. The academics are challenging, but the teachers make the work engaging and fun. There is a tremendous amount of parent involvement, which lends itself to an overall sense of community. And, call it a personal bias, but I do not believe there is a better principal to be found in all of LAUSD. Her commitment to the students resonates in every decision she makes. I continue to be awestruck that my girl is going to leave elementary school with a great overall education and fluent in Mandarin. All this from a public school? WHAT?! I love it.

Posted September 26, 2013
The Broadway Mandarin Immersion program is great. My daughter just started kindergarten there and is so excited for both her chinese and english classes. The teachers are excellent and the school is on top of EVERYTHING. The parents are also very involved (sometimes a little too much, but that's my own pet peeve) and the school is run extremely well. I wasn't sure if the school would be worth the trek and given that our local school is extremely good, but after only a month or so, i can say it definitely is worth it.

Posted September 23, 2013
Wonderful principal and excellent teachers. Parents in the Mandarin Immersion program are quite involved. The after school program run by STAR is also very well organized.

Broadway Elementary School
1015 Lincoln Boulevard, Venice, CA  90291
Last modified Broadway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Broadway Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top