Venice, CA

Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted March 04, 2015
My child is one of the casualties of CDA Elementary over crowding.. All was well until she was shuffled off to the new overflow mixed grade class ( how which kids were chosen is a mystery and we were told not to question the Principal's decision). My child's grades began to suffer immediately and I knew right away it wasn't a good fit. I waited a few weeks ,spoke with the teacher - no improvement. When I spoke with the principal about it and asked if my child could go back to their old class the request was denied and I was told even the old teachers were going to have to drastically change the way they teach and give homework to fit Common Core ( this hasn't happened yet btw). In the mean time my child is behind even though I have been trying to fill in the gaps with homeschooling. If I have to homeschool my child just so they how to multiply and divide and write cursive & use grammar and spell, what is the point of sending them to this school? Also when parent concerns about their children fall on deaf ears- what is the point? Luckily CDA is not the only " good" lausd school in the Area.Walgrove and Beethoven also have high API so we may be leaving soon.

Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted January 28, 2015
We have been at Coeur D'alene for several years now. When we first came I was happy to hear from the community how everyone is so involved and how the Principal knows everyone's name and that as public schools go this was the best we could get in the LAUSD. The school has grown from the low 400's 3 years ago to 590 students. Same classrooms and more kids. This year they had to make a classroom with 3rd and 4th grade kids. I don't want to imagine next school year. LAUSD is not going to start construction on this school before 2016. That said, the teachers seem to need help on refocusing. Some appear burnt out and should move on and have the school bring in fresh new teachers who are excited to teach. This year I am hearing a lot of parents talking about how they will be taking their kids out next school year and the complaints about the lack of communication between teachers and parents. I agree on both. This year my spouse and I feel like we are having to do so much more work at home and chasing after the teachers to get any sort of information on what is going on in the classroom. Tenure or not teachers should be held accountable.

Posted October 18, 2014
Simply the best lausd can offer. Although an hour shorter than private school on a daily basis, they do the most they can to make up for it with great after school programs. Super great principal , devoted and overworked. Your lucky if your in their boundaries.

Posted October 17, 2014
Our first year here and our child goes to K. Overall, I cannot say anything negative about this school; very friendly and professional staff, great after school program, wonderful principal who knows each and every family's names. This is a place where kids don't just learn but they are involved in every way to enhance each of their passion. Also I must mention how great the parents are here as well, its very diverse yet I feel many of them are participating in many ways to help maintain this wonderful community here. I am more than glad to have found this school for our child.

Posted September 11, 2014
This is our third year at Coeur D'Alene, and we've been consistently impressed with the warmth, diversity and genuine commitment of the entire community. The principal and his staff are always on top of things, and he literally knows every student's name within the first week of school. Every student. The teachers are experienced yet enthusiastic, and they work to keep curriculum lively and current. Because of the dedicated families and fundraising, we are incredibly lucky to have all the things that should be automatic but unfortunately are not for most of LAUSD; our students enjoy weekly PE, art classes, music, dance, gardening, and much more. The after school programs are widely varied and a wonderful support system for working parents. Bottom line: If you live in the Coeur D'Alene district, consider yourself one lucky parent!

Posted September 02, 2014
Wonderful neighborhood school, amazing community, inspiring teachers and administrative staff, great principal, excellent booster club and group of volunteers that supports the school - we cannot say more good things about it. Our son loves school and has grown so much in the last few years both academically and emotionally. Highly recommend!

Posted August 29, 2014
We are now in our 2nd year at CdA and love it even more than the first year! CdA is a wonderful community with many parents who are so friendly and truly care about the school and their chid's education. I am impressed with the transition to Common Core Standards. Mr Jenkins the Principal is highly experienced and educated in training teachers at our school as well as teachers at other schools. He continues to excel in his own knowledge in order to share it with the teachers. He is always visible and knows not only all the children's names but knows the parent's names as well. My son loves going to school and comes home with stories of what he learned for the day. His teacher has wonderful tactics implemented in a structured environment to motivate learning and positive social behavior. Parent involvment is encouraged but not required. The teachers welcome parent volunteers to help in the classroom. I love this! I know exactly how my child is doing. CdA is a school that is beyond the expectations of the LAUSD. WIth the Parent booster club and the involvment of Mr Jenkins, CdA offers wonderful resources for learning and preparation for future years.

Posted August 29, 2014
My family has been so fortunate to call Cda our home for the past 7 years. Within the limitations set out by lausd, Cda has been able to break through those limitations and offer my daughters a well rounded diverse education. They start the day with cardio and yoga to get their synapses firing, and then enter their class room ready to learn. Large class sizes are rectified by small group learning, paired learning and independent learning. The grades are fully staffed with aides all paid for by the parent fundraising group. The fundraising gives our kids music, poetry, art, dance, theatre, PE and a librarian. The principal is committed to high academic standards for both the teachers and students and is a constant presence on campus. I appreciate how available he is to us as parents. We will be sad to say goodbye to Cda after 5th grade.

Posted August 29, 2014
We are now entering our second year at CDA and love it more than the first year! CDA is a wonderful community where the families are so friendly and truly care about their child s education. The transition to Common Core Studies has been excellent with Mr Jenkin s, the Principals involvement. He has trained not only the teachers at CDA but teachers from other schools. He has continued to increase his knowledge and continues to share it with the teachers. We are so lucky to have him with the experience he brings. Mr Jenkins is always visible on the campus and not only knows every child s name but knows the parent s names as well. My son loves going to school and is excited to share what he has learned for the day. His teacher is extremely organized and has implemented a great structure for learning and positive social behavior. Parent involvement is encouraged but not required. The teachers welcome parents to volunteer in the classroom. CDA is truly a gem inside the LAUSD System. With the involvement of the Parent Booster Club and Mr Jenkins, CDA has been able to implement more than what LAUSD offers and has a great amount of resources for learning.

Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted August 28, 2014
Our child attended Coeur D'alene for three years and within the confines of LA Public it was an outstanding school. Good teachers, good leadership, amazing diversity and outstanding parent participation. BUT after moving to a FL school district we realized how truly broken LA Public is. CDA was a bastion in a broken school district. Teachers were committed, yet below par nationally. Principle Jenkins is proficient yet completely unapproachable (yet isn't being approachable part of the job description for an administrator?). Parent involvement was great . . . but also a necessity as without the financial contribution from parents ($300,000 a year) this school would go without a library and after school programs which other school systems take for granted and are fully funded without non profit contributions. In the end, CDA is a great school; prospects for middle and high school after CDA . . . horrific! CDA plays well to test scores that are designed to increase funding, but we are not sure if this is a good thing for the students. For these parents goodbye was the best choice for our child.
5 people found this helpful

Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School
810 Coeur D'Alene Avenue, Venice, CA  90291
Last modified Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 137 reviews. Top