Venice, CA

Posted April 17, 2015
My kids went to this fabulous school! They are French native speakers and thanks to the professionalism provided in CDA Elementary School, Director, Teachers and Staff, their level in English and others subjects have clearly evolved! They absolutely loved that great School and me as well as a parent! E.P.T.L

Posted March 12, 2015
My daughter has been going to CdA since Pre-K. She is now in the fourth grade. I can't praise the school enough. Principal Jenkins is a fabulously dedicated leader who works hard (and constantly) to improve the school for all students. As a Room Parent and member of the School Site Council for many years I have seen his dedication up close. The teachers strive to give students the best education possible. They are so highly regarded in the Southern California education world, they frequently host teachers and educators from other schools, who sit in on classes to learn the secrets to success from CdA (especially when it comes to the new Common Core standards). We are so very lucky to live in the zone. There are many who don't and do anything to get their child into Coeur d'Alene. My only sadness is we have to leave after fifth grade.

Posted March 05, 2015
Coeur d Alene or CDA has been my children s second home since they were four years old. This is a very special neighborhood school that has the best vibe on the west side! If you appreciate an ethnically and economically diverse school that reflects Venice Beach, then you must check out this school. My daughter graduated from CDA last year and has blossomed in her current middle school. CDA is close knit and she has made friends for life. I started both my daughters in Mrs. Elson s Pre-K class that taught us all so much about how to use everyday life as an opportunity to learn. There are many wonderful veteran teachers at our school and if they are new, you can bet that Principal Jenkins has vetted them well. He is instrumental to the growth and popularity of the school, in part, because of his vision and his background as a teacher himself. There is a tremendous sense of community at CDA. Yesterday I watched over 20 parents line up for a Room Parent photo Moms and Dads! Parents volunteer and really make a difference. Once your child goes to middle school, there really is no interaction with other families. I cherish the time I spend on this campus.

Posted March 05, 2015
Coeur d Alene Avenue School exceeds our expectations for a public school because of the combined efforts of its teachers, staff and families. I can t think of another school in our area, except for a private school, that offers the kinds of approaches to learning that they do, readers and writers workshop and Cognitively Guided Instruction to name a few. The principal, teachers, and staff are accessible, open to feedback, and truly dedicated in their time and efforts. Many of the teachers work along with our families on weekends and well into the night, and their efforts do not go unnoticed. We just found out that the school was invited to do another round with the Cotsen Art of Teaching foundation, and we could not be more thrilled for our children, who directly benefit from this partnership. The focus of our principal and teachers on innovative, exciting practices cannot be matched. We feel so fortunate to be a part of this vital community.

Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted March 04, 2015
My child is one of the casualties of CDA Elementary over crowding.. All was well until she was shuffled off to the new overflow mixed grade class ( how which kids were chosen is a mystery and we were told not to question the Principal's decision). My child's grades began to suffer immediately and I knew right away it wasn't a good fit. I waited a few weeks ,spoke with the teacher - no improvement. When I spoke with the principal about it and asked if my child could go back to their old class the request was denied and I was told even the old teachers were going to have to drastically change the way they teach and give homework to fit Common Core ( this hasn't happened yet btw). In the mean time my child is behind even though I have been trying to fill in the gaps with homeschooling. If I have to homeschool my child just so they how to multiply and divide and write cursive & use grammar and spell, what is the point of sending them to this school? Also when parent concerns about their children fall on deaf ears- what is the point? Luckily CDA is not the only " good" lausd school in the Area.Walgrove and Beethoven also have high API so we may be leaving soon.
5 people found this helpful

Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted January 28, 2015
We have been at Coeur D'alene for several years now. When we first came I was happy to hear from the community how everyone is so involved and how the Principal knows everyone's name and that as public schools go this was the best we could get in the LAUSD. The school has grown from the low 400's 3 years ago to 590 students. Same classrooms and more kids. This year they had to make a classroom with 3rd and 4th grade kids. I don't want to imagine next school year. LAUSD is not going to start construction on this school before 2016. That said, the teachers seem to need help on refocusing. Some appear burnt out and should move on and have the school bring in fresh new teachers who are excited to teach. This year I am hearing a lot of parents talking about how they will be taking their kids out next school year and the complaints about the lack of communication between teachers and parents. I agree on both. This year my spouse and I feel like we are having to do so much more work at home and chasing after the teachers to get any sort of information on what is going on in the classroom. Tenure or not teachers should be held accountable.

Posted October 18, 2014
Simply the best lausd can offer. Although an hour shorter than private school on a daily basis, they do the most they can to make up for it with great after school programs. Super great principal , devoted and overworked. Your lucky if your in their boundaries.

Posted October 17, 2014
Our first year here and our child goes to K. Overall, I cannot say anything negative about this school; very friendly and professional staff, great after school program, wonderful principal who knows each and every family's names. This is a place where kids don't just learn but they are involved in every way to enhance each of their passion. Also I must mention how great the parents are here as well, its very diverse yet I feel many of them are participating in many ways to help maintain this wonderful community here. I am more than glad to have found this school for our child.

Posted September 11, 2014
This is our third year at Coeur D'Alene, and we've been consistently impressed with the warmth, diversity and genuine commitment of the entire community. The principal and his staff are always on top of things, and he literally knows every student's name within the first week of school. Every student. The teachers are experienced yet enthusiastic, and they work to keep curriculum lively and current. Because of the dedicated families and fundraising, we are incredibly lucky to have all the things that should be automatic but unfortunately are not for most of LAUSD; our students enjoy weekly PE, art classes, music, dance, gardening, and much more. The after school programs are widely varied and a wonderful support system for working parents. Bottom line: If you live in the Coeur D'Alene district, consider yourself one lucky parent!

Posted September 02, 2014
Wonderful neighborhood school, amazing community, inspiring teachers and administrative staff, great principal, excellent booster club and group of volunteers that supports the school - we cannot say more good things about it. Our son loves school and has grown so much in the last few years both academically and emotionally. Highly recommend!

Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School
810 Coeur D'Alene Avenue, Venice, CA  90291
Last modified Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Coeur D'Alene Avenue Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 142 reviews. Top