K-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to St.Mark Elementary School, home of the Lions. I have the honor of leading the best staff on the West-side. We boast a balanced program designed to educate the whole child. We offer rigorous academics, strong, competitive sports teams and an excellent fine arts program. Please stop by and let me show you all the reasons St. Mark is the right choice for your child. Thank you for stopping by and GO LIONS!!
September 20, 2010

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

I have three children who have attended St. Mark. One is now in high school, the second just graduated and the third will be in 7th grade and we couldn't be happier with the school. The teachers are caring, knowledgeable and innovative. My children have been excited to go the school every morning, which is not always the case. The principal is outstanding - forward-thinking, involved, inspiring and knows the name of every child in the school. My oldest tested into several honors classes for high school, which tells me how prepared she was by St. Mark. I'm confident my son starting high school will excel, coming from such a wonderful school. It's a community that feels like a big family and we are so lucky to be part of it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are awesome! Creative, interesting, enthusiastic. They genuinely care about the kids and it shows.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Every morning at assembly the children recite the PeaceBuilder's pledge in which they agree to avoid put downs, compliment others, do the right thing and never bully. They truly hold themselves and other students accountable.

There is an ongoing problem with bullying an students making racial insults. For instance one student told me that "I would get a weave because I am black" I finally gained the confidence to confront my principal and she told me that it was not the schools responsibility and that it happened too long ago (It happened a week before I complained) At this point I did not feel safe or protected by my school. Also my sister that at the time was a fifth grader ( she is now a sixth grader) was called a gorilla by a students parent. The principal responded to my mom by saying "Oh you know she's French you know how they are" My mom was infuriated since it was such a slap in the face. My sister eventually had enough after a child favored by the administration called her fat and said that "he hopes she dies" The school did nothing about it and my sister left the school. So unless you want to be cleaning food off your child's clothes everyday because someone threw it at them or unless you want you child to be taunted with racial slurs I do not recommend this school at all.

Terrible math program, high teacher turnover and a principal who doesn't communicate with parents regarding staff changes. Many of the teachers seem unhappy which in turn create an unhappy environment for the children. We left after two years because if this.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

All the students are very respectful of the faculty and constantly look to them for guidance.

Amount of homework: Agree

With our busy schedule its just enough, because the outside of school programs, soccer, basketball and the practices also take up a lot of time.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They practice Peacebuilder everyday, its a small campus, everyone knows everyone and its like a family.

I have 2 kids at this school and have been part of this community for the last 3 years, we could not be happier. The Principal has made huge changes and is striving to continue to make this the best Elementary School on the West Side. The faculty are all committed to providing my kids with best educational experience ever. When every Faculty Member from TK to 8th Grade knows my kids names, I know they are interested, committed and they care. We helped plant 40+ trees this past weekend on the first part of the transformation of this campus and water reclamation project by providing shade, create habitat for birds and butterflies, reduces our energy consumption and creates science learning opportunities.”with features to help increase the learning experience highlighting nature. This is such a wonderful place, we are so happy for our kids

We joined St. Mark 7 years ago, when our oldest son started Kindergarten and we have nothing but great things to say about the school. Mary Ann McQueen the principal, is a strong and talented leader. We love the sense of community and the diversity. It is amazing to see how the kids interact with each other as a real family, the older kids know the younger ones by name, and there is a feeling of brotherhood all around. The Greening and Water Reclamation project that has been going on during the past months is making the school unique in the West side, and the first phase culminated this weekend with a Tree Fest event, where parents, students, faculty, and other community volunteers worked together planting trees around the school. It was inspiring seeing everyone in action! We are very proud to be part of St. Mark!

Last modified St. Mark School is a Private school that serves grades K-8