Venice, CA

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to St.Mark Elementary School, home of the Lions. I have the honor of leading the best staff on the West-side. We boast a balanced program designed to educate the whole child. We offer rigorous academics, strong, competitive sports teams and an excellent fine arts program. Please stop by and let me show you all the reasons St. Mark is the right choice for your child. Thank you for stopping by and GO LIONS!!
September 20, 2010

Posted September 23, 2014
This school is just the kind my husband and I dreamed about finding after having kids in LA. A place where they will grow intellectually and as a well rounded young adult. The principle is top notch. Mary Ann McQueen, came from Marymount after 19 years. The staff that she has hired either all have their masters or finishing up their masters. The children are taught per their level in the grade through small classroom groups on their iPads. Because of the small class sizes you get one on one attention regarding your child, and the principle and teachers are always accessible to you. The school has adopted the "Peace Builders Pledge" which helps the children learn about treating others how you want to be treated, righting a wrong, helping others out, building peace at school, at home and in your community. Which is essential with any bullying problems. Last the community here is like no other i have seen at other schools. The parents, the children, the staff, make any family feel like they are part of the St. Mark Family. We are elated as we have a 3rd and 1st grader and can't wait for our youngest to start TK, as we are good until 8th grade. Venice's best kept secret!

Posted March 11, 2014
This school is a well kept secret! An amazing principal, caring and innovative teachers and small class size. My children are thriving at St. Mark! This school is the perfect blend of traditional values and forward thinking regarding education. We are grateful for this school and it's community!

Posted March 02, 2014
This school is all we ever prayed for in a Catholic school for our children and more. My son is in TK and my daughter will be starting TK next school year. My son feels so wonderful and welcomed by the entire staff. St. Mark School is made up of a wonderful Principal, staff and students that make a St. Mark FAMILY. As parents, we are kept in the loop with regard to everything including week by week curriculum, progress reports, behavior and activities. Class size is small and all of the students have plenty of attention from their teachers and instructors. We love St. Mark!!!

Posted August 27, 2012
My son and daughter both went to this school and had an awesome experience, great education and socialized with respectable-caring peers. Safe school, great sports and after school activities, we have been very happy here.

Posted May 27, 2012
St,Mark School offers an excellent education! The students are bright and intelligent. Most of all they are aware of their community, respectful and tolerant of others. I could not ask for a better education, or a safer environment for my kids to grow up in!

Posted April 09, 2012
St. Mark School is by far the BEST choice on the west Side. The kids are smart, they have a love for learning, a respect for their teachers and parents and academically they soar!

Posted December 15, 2011
My daughter started in kindergarten and is now flourishing in 1st grade. Academics are solid, classes are small, and the teachers are significantly invested in individual student development and education. This is a school of relationships rather than rosters and numbers. Come on in, walk the halls during the day, and you will be amazed by the student teacher interaction that is both loving, professional, and intellectually challenging. The school is building upon its relationship with Loyola Marymount University, a leader in private school education research, private school teacher training, and social justice. You will be asked to volunteer; may seem a chore, but you will become part of a dynamic, diverse community and you will see the direct benefit of all your efforts. None of the snob factor, competitive parenting, or materialism you may see at other local privates. I have looked deep into this place, and it isn't perfect by any means, but the teachers and staff make this place special. If a parent has a concern, they are heard, and appropriate changes happen fast. Looking over my review, I almost want to erase it so the school stays a hidden gem with small classes.

Posted November 29, 2011
St Marks has a committed teaching staff with low student-to-teacher ratios and a quality family experience. Student successes are celebrated and their hurdles supported in a way that builds confidence and encourages involvement. Students from every grade level support the younger students and remain involved in their "school family's" success throughout the year. In this way, the kids learn not only that they can be successful as students, but they can become even more successful by helping others achieve success - a lesson that lasts a lifetime. From the Lion Olympics to the Talent Show to the Carnival, SMS includes all the kids and encourages a safe, supportive environment. SMS teachers are among the most active in stressing a complete education of mind, body and spirit. Educational excellence is expected; SMS graduates go onto HS & College at rates exceeding most schools in LA. But beyond educational excellence, the teachers and administration at SMS engage the kids at an early age in the human experience. Tolerance and community is taught, along with humility and compassion . Tuition is affordable, education is excellent and school spirit is palpable. We love SMS.

Posted November 22, 2011
This is THE BEST value for the money on the Westside. Our children are in Kindergarten and second grade and we are so pleased with the teachers, the curriculum, the environment and administration. It is a warm, friendly, welcoming environment with a small local school feel. Our children love their teachers and have learned so much since they have attended the school. I was a little nervous about sending my kids there because I am not Catholic, but they are very accepting of all denominations and I appreciate the overall values that my kids are learning. I would not recommend the school if we were not 100% happy with it - we cannot be more pleased.

Posted November 17, 2011
This school in my experiance is absolutely the best in the Westside for my child and my peace of mind. It truely is a family like environment and a very very safe school. At no time does anyone come in or out of the school without being notice. It truely shows how important and special the children are at this school. The academics are at high standards. Love this school in it's all.

St. Mark School