Ventura, CA
Students enrolled: 1,271

Posted November 09, 2012
Our son loves this school! All his teachers are excellent and challenge him to do his best. Mr. Chapin's (7th grade world history) enthusiasm is contagious and my son makes extra effort to study for his class. Mrs. Z, has been very encouraging in her LA class. Mrs. Kennedy runs an interesting & interactive Science experience. Mrs Shirley is a solid & steady type Math teacher, using experience, patience and encouraging that practice makes perfect. Mr Anter's class (computer) has been a great learning tool and my son using what he has learned in class for projects at home. And we are very pleased with this school's PE activities, sports and clubs. Wonderful school!

Posted May 30, 2011
I attended this school for 6th through 8th grade a couple of years ago and it was a great school. I was never bullied, the teachers I had were very supportive and challenged their students, and I really enjoyed my time there. I am not sure why some parents were saying that some of the library books were inappropriate. I was a library assistant and an avid reader while I was there and I do not remember seeing a book that was not appropriate for children of that age. The classes were excellent and challenging, and they did help me in preparing for high school. The GATE (GATE is the schools equivalent for AP/ Honors classes in high school) classes that I took were rigorous but fulfilling. I will say though that it does matter which teachers a student receives. I liked all of my teachers while I was there. Like I said before, they seemed to care about their students and wanted them to succeed. Also, PE was not simply just walking around the field. That was just our warm up while I was there. The teachers would talk while we did our warm up but then became involved after the warm up finished.

Posted February 27, 2011
Am glad that my second child will NOT be attending Balboa! Most teachers are checked out and far from enthusiastic. I TOTALLY agree with the previous post! PE there is a joke and have heard about many twisted ankles on the field and the bullying! Pricipal is nice to your face but will not follow though, and the same with our counselor. It is an old and run down school! Parent involvement is questioned. I have 2 very inappropriate books come home from library with nothong done when I call....just glad it is almost over!

Posted February 14, 2011
So far I have had problems w/the following: * An English teacher who does not following the AR program for her students, so the Principal had to pull her aside and explain it to her...because she was failing students unnecessarily. * A history teacher who doesn't know how to grade on percentages. * A P.E. Teacher who thinks she can try to punk me through my daughter because I had to call them on what they are not doing....and the teacher didn't like it. * A P.E. Staff who stands around during the P.E. period chatting while they make the classes walk the field in circles for the entire period and the non-supervision allows the bullies in class to get away w/things. * Last year a couple kids were trampled on the last day of school in P.E. when all the classes rushed to get their backpacks from the pen they were chained-up in at once. The teachers were across the school yard chatting w/each other while they left the teacher's aide (another student) try to control the issue. * Phone calls that are not responded to. * The field that is riddled w/gopher holes. * Calls to the District Office that have no impact. Get the point!?

Posted April 29, 2010
My son says he can go to any teacher if he has a problem and truely helps him.

Posted February 27, 2009
This school rocks!! they have the best teachers. I go to balboa middle school and my favorite teacher is ms. Antunez.

Posted January 12, 2009
Its a nice well cared school and the education is great

Posted August 31, 2007
Mr. Walwick is the good thing about this school.

Balboa Middle School 4

Posted February 01, 2007
Mr. Cragin runs a great tevhnology program. kids make movies , DVDs and more. Yearbook is created online in his computer lab. Lab is open after school three days a week for dids to do work or play. My son loves it.

Posted September 02, 2006
While the language on all things sent home stresses the importance of standards, I have yet to experience a teacher who is actually preparing students to meet these standards. My child is in 8th grade this year and to say that Balboa Middle School is leaving him unprepared for high school is an understatement. Contacting teachers with questions only makes it more difficult for my son and 9 times out of 10, the ocntacted teacher becomes defensive and takes out frustrations on my child. His confidence level with regard to his academics has suffered. I hate to think what the kids whose parents cannot be involved are going through!

247 Hill Road, Ventura, CA  93003
Last modified Balboa Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Balboa Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top