Mound Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 590 students

High Performing Magnet School

Living in Ventura

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $316,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,430.

School Official Point of View

Posted September 26, 2013

Having been associated with Mound School as a parent, teacher, and now Principal, I have seen this school from a variety of lenses over the last 12 years. In my opinion, Mound is a terrific place for kids to spend their school days. This is a healthy, well functioning school with systems in place to provide a safe campus and challenging academics for children. Mound test scores are consistently among the top in the county, yet we don't speak of test scores much around here. In my opinion there are two critical factors responsible for Mound's success: 1. The teaching staff is top notch. 2. The families who seek out Mound place great value on education, behavior, and school attendance. At Mound, we understand our "customer" is somewhere between the ages of 5-11 years old. So, we make our best attempt to create a fun learning environment for the kids. For example, this year will see the installation of a Science Lab and a learning garden. It is important to understand that while parent involvement is another important factor in our success (the children are inspired to know mom or dad is on campus), parent volunteerism is not a requirement for entry to Mound. Ventura parents have a variety of educational options. Mound is just one of many good schools in the Ventura Unified School District. Feel free to contact us or come by for a tour. Good things are happening at Mound School!

Posted January 28, 2013

This school is academically above average but best suited to children who have parents who stay at home and can volunteer to help in the classroom. Also, children who are energetic, creative, cannot write perfectly by 1st grade, and who don't read in the top 10th percentile by second grade are going to be treated as if they are below average students (when in reality, they are still above average). Teachers at Mound are not fond of these students and make sure the parents of such students know it which only makes everyone more stressed out.

Posted January 8, 2013

If your child needs any kind of extra help this is not the school for you. I was told my child did not need to take the Star 9 test. I am sure it is because my child would bring down the points for the school. Most of the teachers are very good but, have had a few teachers that looked at my child as a problem. My child was collateral damage. My child graduated with a 3.5 GPA. I was told my child would be better in our home school.

Posted December 10, 2012

You must devote time to this school no matter what. You must have a child who is perfect. You must accept a teachers condescending behavior directed towards yourself and your children.

Posted November 1, 2012

I have had 4 children go thru this school over a period of 15 years (oldest now 22, youngest 9). I have 2 boys, and 2 girls. I have seen many principals as well as teachers, and have always felt they did a fantastic job!! I am a working parent, and they have onsite childcare that keeps the kids safe and are willing to work with your children if they need additional assistance during homework club. The teachers are all truly invested in the children, and do the very best they can with the resources they are alloted! I never request a certain teacher, because the children are placed in classes where they will benefit from that certain teacher. After all, the current teacher really does know my childs learning habits better than me, and will choose the best fit for the benefit of that child. The principal is fantastic and listens to your needs and he really is around to interact with the kids.

Posted March 29, 2011

We take pride in our school as a family. I'm involved with several aspects of the school including PTO and I trust that staff and volunteers are doing their best for my children. The sense of pride in our school is evident everyday.

Posted March 3, 2011

As a parent who has a child there I am disappointed. A math magnet school for sure, however the staff is not friendly at all. Working parents will be left out, however you will be noticed in a way that will make it not comfortable for you. You will feel punished! The kids at this school act like they are BETTER THAN & show it i a terrible way. It is a full on fashion show with bullies! It is a terrible thing when your kids come home crying day after day hating school & no one at school will help!

Posted June 22, 2010

If your 4th grader forgets their homework or library book they must stand against a chain link fence during recess!

Posted March 31, 2010

I don't think this school is as great as it's reported to be. I've volunteered in the class this year,and have found many students not very respectful or appreciative, with an 'entitled' attitude. I'm considering sending my daughter to her home school, since all schools use the same curriculum now.

Posted September 29, 2009

I currently have a 4th grader and a Kindergartener at Mound and we love it. I think the teachers really push the students to do their best. I encourage you as a parent to get involved with volunteering on campus. With the selection of Middle Schools we have to choose from here in Ventura I would love to see Mound School offering 6-8 grade as well. If anyone knows if that is actually possible and how to get it started I would love to know?

Posted March 20, 2009

I love everything about Mound. The Principal is awesome!!! The teachers are great and make sure they work with each student to improve and reach their full potential. Students are well behaved and they have utmost respect to teachers, parents and school staff. Apart from academics, I also love their arts, music, and P.E. programs. My children are off to a great start! Thanks to Mound!

Posted October 26, 2008

This school is without a doubt one of the best school in the state. All of the teachers are supportive and help you to reach all your potential. I went there for 6 years and was thoroughly prepared for middle school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 28, 2008

I really love this school. Mr. Temprano is a great leader an even helps out with afternoon traffic! I was going to hold my son back one year and not start K last year; but I decided to go for it. I am glad I did. I have a very sensitive kiddo and the teacher bent over backwards to ease his anxiety and help out on his fine motor skills. Best school for public!

Posted June 8, 2008

My son completes his 4th year this week, June, 2008. I have read the other reviews and suspect some sour grapes from the few poor ratings. No question that parent interest and the required application indicate more involvement. I have been well recieved by each of my son's 4 teachers as a parent helper on morning weekly all 4 years. We are fortunate to have a bright and healthy child who loves school, and has not missed a day in 4 years. We believe it is up to us to support the teacher's efforts, see that all homework is completed well, and supplement his learning in every way we can. As a former teacher and coach, I simply want the best environment for my son, and my wife feels the same. We are very fortunate to have this school, and I wish you the best for your child. Make it happen!

Posted April 11, 2008

My son attended K-5 at Mound and it is an AWESOME school! As close to a private school as a public school can get. I have worked in the classroom with the kids each year & have seen the high quality teaching that goes on. I think the people who gave a one-star rating are jealous because of Mound's high test scores. I think they are due to the high level of commitment of the parents. For example, we are willing to drive our kids to school from all over the city because we appreciate the things that set Mound apart . The Principal & teachers are great, the kids are exceptionally nice. I give it 6 stars!

Posted April 13, 2007

My daughter attended 6 years at Mound Elementary. I was very frustrated with her experiences there. She is very bright and with the exception of her 1st and 2nd grade teachers was not given anything extra to do. As one of the very few single parents there, I often felt excluded and somewhat shunned. The Principal does not seem to expect his teachers to bring out the best in the students. Poorly performing kids as well as exceptional kids will be frustrated at Mound. Average kids with well-to-do parents will find good experiences there. It was a lonely, frustrating experience for me and my daughter. As far as safety goes, there were several horrid bullies!

Posted October 2, 2006

Mound's test scores are high, that is undeniable. However, if you look at the socio-economic level of their students and the education levels of their parents, this is not surprising. Studies show that income is the primary predictor of test scores. A better measure of how a school is doing is its similar schools ranking. They have high parent involvement because the majority of their students come from high income families with only one parent working.

Posted March 9, 2006

I am a parent of a Kindergardener & a second grader and I couldn't ask for a better school.

Posted January 11, 2006

This school has high test scores only because it daily teaches to the test. Well-rounded students --- not!

Posted October 4, 2005

Mound Elementary is one of the best school's ever. They emphasize mathematics, science, and English and my kids have tons of fun there!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 8, 2005

The quality of the education is superior to those in the school district. The parental involvement is very high. The student body has higher expectations of behavior, respect, supportiveness, and integrity among both their teachers and peers. A ten out of ten in my book!

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Females91%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 7:55 am
School end time
  • 2:35 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Todd Tyner
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (805) 289-1883

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now

What are your chances?

5 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year