School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Having been associated with Mound School as a parent, teacher, and now Principal, I have seen this school from a variety of lenses over the last 12 years. In my opinion, Mound is a terrific place for kids to spend their school days. This is a healthy, well functioning school with systems in place to provide a safe campus and challenging academics for children. Mound test scores are consistently among the top in the county, yet we don't speak of test scores much around here. In my opinion there are two critical factors responsible for Mound's success: 1. The teaching staff is top notch. 2. The families who seek out Mound place great value on education, behavior, and school attendance. At Mound, we understand our "customer" is somewhere between the ages of 5-11 years old. So, we make our best attempt to create a fun learning environment for the kids. For example, this year will see the installation of a Science Lab and a learning garden. It is important to understand that while parent involvement is another important factor in our success (the children are inspired to know mom or dad is on campus), parent volunteerism is not a requirement for entry to Mound. Ventura parents have a variety of educational options. Mound is just one of many good schools in the Ventura Unified School District. Feel free to contact us or come by for a tour. Good things are happening at Mound School!
September 26, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Supports LD students: Neutral

I have no direct experience with this.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

It's a bit of a "good ol boys" club with the principal at the reigns. The poorest teachers are his buddies, and while he is a very good speaker and I've witnessed communicate with children well one on one, tends to shy away from addressing many concerns of the adults that well, aren't a top priority for him.

Develops character: Neutral

I think there is a good community of families which helps. And, the vast majority of the teachers seem to want to be there and are committed to bettering kids.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

K-4 were all great teachers, 5th grade teachers' abilities and commitment seem to tail off significantly

Amount of homework: Neutral

Lower grades were good. 4th grade teachers were excellent. There is virtually no homework for 5th graders

Our child has had a wonderful experience at Mound School. They have a fantastic teaching and support staff that challenges the students to learn in different ways. The parents are very involved too, so teachers can have smaller groups to work with on projects and improve the students reading skills. The new science curriculum is very engaging and the field trips and classroom events throughout the year are fun, yet educational. Only negative is its not K-8. We don't want to leave! :)

My son is in Second Grade here, and really enjoys it. The facility is clean and has alot of landscape upgrades this year in the play area and has a working garden in three locations. The Science labs will have iPads for the students and a technology lab even. Teachers are always alert and welcoming when we drop off in the morning. Mound requires each student to get here without busses, there are three entrances into the school to pick from and plenty of safe options for parking and pick ups. Class schedules are posted online for parents to follow along with their teachers inputs thru web sites. Overall it's a superb school. Lots of parental involvement is a blessing. Tons of diversity in the families that choose to send their kids here, since it's a lottery system to get in.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted September 26, 2013

This school is academically above average but best suited to children who have parents who stay at home and can volunteer to help in the classroom. Also, children who are energetic, creative, cannot write perfectly by 1st grade, and who don't read in the top 10th percentile by second grade are going to be treated as if they are below average students (when in reality, they are still above average). Teachers at Mound are not fond of these students and make sure the parents of such students know it which only makes everyone more stressed out.

If your child needs any kind of extra help this is not the school for you. I was told my child did not need to take the Star 9 test. I am sure it is because my child would bring down the points for the school. Most of the teachers are very good but, have had a few teachers that looked at my child as a problem. My child was collateral damage. My child graduated with a 3.5 GPA. I was told my child would be better in our home school.

Last modified Mound Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.