School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Having been associated with Mound School as a parent, teacher, and now Principal, I have seen this school from a variety of lenses over the last 12 years. In my opinion, Mound is a terrific place for kids to spend their school days. This is a healthy, well functioning school with systems in place to provide a safe campus and challenging academics for children. Mound test scores are consistently among the top in the county, yet we don't speak of test scores much around here. In my opinion there are two critical factors responsible for Mound's success: 1. The teaching staff is top notch. 2. The families who seek out Mound place great value on education, behavior, and school attendance. At Mound, we understand our "customer" is somewhere between the ages of 5-11 years old. So, we make our best attempt to create a fun learning environment for the kids. For example, this year will see the installation of a Science Lab and a learning garden. It is important to understand that while parent involvement is another important factor in our success (the children are inspired to know mom or dad is on campus), parent volunteerism is not a requirement for entry to Mound. Ventura parents have a variety of educational options. Mound is just one of many good schools in the Ventura Unified School District. Feel free to contact us or come by for a tour. Good things are happening at Mound School!
September 26, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Our child has had a wonderful experience at Mound School. They have a fantastic teaching and support staff that challenges the students to learn in different ways. The parents are very involved too, so teachers can have smaller groups to work with on projects and improve the students reading skills. The new science curriculum is very engaging and the field trips and classroom events throughout the year are fun, yet educational. Only negative is its not K-8. We don't want to leave! :)

My son is in Second Grade here, and really enjoys it. The facility is clean and has alot of landscape upgrades this year in the play area and has a working garden in three locations. The Science labs will have iPads for the students and a technology lab even. Teachers are always alert and welcoming when we drop off in the morning. Mound requires each student to get here without busses, there are three entrances into the school to pick from and plenty of safe options for parking and pick ups. Class schedules are posted online for parents to follow along with their teachers inputs thru web sites. Overall it's a superb school. Lots of parental involvement is a blessing. Tons of diversity in the families that choose to send their kids here, since it's a lottery system to get in.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted September 26, 2013

This school is academically above average but best suited to children who have parents who stay at home and can volunteer to help in the classroom. Also, children who are energetic, creative, cannot write perfectly by 1st grade, and who don't read in the top 10th percentile by second grade are going to be treated as if they are below average students (when in reality, they are still above average). Teachers at Mound are not fond of these students and make sure the parents of such students know it which only makes everyone more stressed out.

If your child needs any kind of extra help this is not the school for you. I was told my child did not need to take the Star 9 test. I am sure it is because my child would bring down the points for the school. Most of the teachers are very good but, have had a few teachers that looked at my child as a problem. My child was collateral damage. My child graduated with a 3.5 GPA. I was told my child would be better in our home school.

You must devote time to this school no matter what. You must have a child who is perfect. You must accept a teachers condescending behavior directed towards yourself and your children.

I have had 4 children go thru this school over a period of 15 years (oldest now 22, youngest 9). I have 2 boys, and 2 girls. I have seen many principals as well as teachers, and have always felt they did a fantastic job!! I am a working parent, and they have onsite childcare that keeps the kids safe and are willing to work with your children if they need additional assistance during homework club. The teachers are all truly invested in the children, and do the very best they can with the resources they are alloted! I never request a certain teacher, because the children are placed in classes where they will benefit from that certain teacher. After all, the current teacher really does know my childs learning habits better than me, and will choose the best fit for the benefit of that child. The principal is fantastic and listens to your needs and he really is around to interact with the kids.

We take pride in our school as a family. I'm involved with several aspects of the school including PTO and I trust that staff and volunteers are doing their best for my children. The sense of pride in our school is evident everyday.

As a parent who has a child there I am disappointed. A math magnet school for sure, however the staff is not friendly at all. Working parents will be left out, however you will be noticed in a way that will make it not comfortable for you. You will feel punished! The kids at this school act like they are BETTER THAN & show it i a terrible way. It is a full on fashion show with bullies! It is a terrible thing when your kids come home crying day after day hating school & no one at school will help!

If your 4th grader forgets their homework or library book they must stand against a chain link fence during recess!

Last modified Mound Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.