Ventura, CA

Posted August 19, 2014
Great school. Very friendly teachers. My daughter is learning a lot and also having a great time. She is always happy to go to school. No complaints.

Posted June 02, 2014
My two children have had such great experiences at this school. I find the staff and teachers very helpful and willing to go the extra mile to do what's best for the children. I find the Office Manager and Principal to be very helpful.

Posted June 02, 2014
Our experience here has been awful. The teachers yells, texts during class and is unkind. There is no creative instruction at all. I agree with other reviews that there is a definite lack in principal leadership. It's too bad because the kids are nice.

Posted February 15, 2014
Our experience with this school has been nothing less than excellent!! Very happy with the staff as well as parent involvement. Would give it more than 5 stars if I could!

Posted July 31, 2013
Poinsettia has an excellent staff of caring, compassionate and talented teachers. My daughter is going into 2nd grade this year and had great experiences in both kindergarten and first grade. She learned a ton and enjoyed her classes. The administration and office staff is kind, well-informed and helpful...not sure what gave a previous reviewer such a bad opinion. The parent group is very active, teachers communicate well and encourage parental involvement, the campus is in a nice location.

Posted January 24, 2013
I'm sorry but most parents who think this and other schools in the district are any good are ones who them selves grew up in the district on have not clue on how short changed they are getting. I was born and raised in CA and have lived in two other states and the Schools here STINK. The children of CA are literally being left behind compared to even the surrounding states. TWO people have said below "excellent and as good as a California school gets" and "As high a quality of education as you can find in a public school in Ventura" really guys? My Middle School son has told me teachers will just give you grades in exchange for mundane tasks, like writing a short paragraph of cleaning up and the schools biggest concern seems to be attendance as that computes to $Money. Even at Poinsettia they wanted my 1st grader to attend Saturday School, are you frigging kidding me! My two children are doing work they did two years ago out of state!! They both seem bored and when we have asked them to be challenged it has been ignored, yet miss a day and they will work with you on having your kid come sit doing practically nothing on Saturday!! Epic FAIL if only school vouchers where a reality!

Posted December 22, 2012
Our family had very negative experiences at this school, and the problems continued all the way up to the district (VUSD). The principal is ineffectual at dealing with problems at any level (from serious to the mundane), he will blow you off. Many people I speak with are under the impression that this is a great school. It is obvious to me at one time it may have been. But those days are no longer in existence.

Poinsettia Elementary School 2

Posted January 29, 2010
My child has been at the Poinsettia since Kindergarten and is now in 5th grade. The teachers have all been below average and bring nothing new or innovative to the classroom. They have no idea about differentiated curriculum and have trouble with classroom discipline. My child is a GATE student and there has been virtually no GATE program at the school. The school may look good on paper, but has absolutely nothing to offer. Look elsewhere for a great learning environment.

Poinsettia Elementary School

Posted April 10, 2008
Poinsettia is a wonderful school and has great extras that so many schools don't get a chance to experience. My children have had Harvil, Clow, Becker, and Ditto as teachers. They are all amazing and would not change a thing about any of their varied teaching methods. Each time my child was placed with just the right teacher for his/her needs. Excellent! A+

Posted January 21, 2008
We have one child who has attended for 3 years and one starting starting in 08. Teaching staff is excellent and as good as a California school gets. Test scores are among the highest in the Country. Teacher expereince and creativity is exceptional. Student safety is a priority and taken seriously. Parents are activley involved in the classroom and a real addition to the expereince for children. An overall outstanding learnnig environment.

Poinsettia Elementary School
350 North Victoria Avenue, Ventura, CA  93003
Last modified Poinsettia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Poinsettia Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top