Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

For all of you considering Portola for your child's education, PLEASE read ALL the comments about Portola, and don't be swayed by the negative comments of a few people who have made it their passion to undermine the outstanding education and student support this school provides...because they did not always get their way while involved with Portola...and because they were not able to see the big picture when thinking about what principals and teachers go through to successfully educate our children. The truth is Portola teachers will go the extra mile to get what is needed to help our children become all they can be! Not because of test scores, because they actually care about our kids becoming intelligent, clear thinking, happy adults. Do we really think they like having to fundraise to get the math programs and other essentials needed to help our kids? I really doubt it, but they do what they must TO HELP OUR KIDS! If you don't like being asked to help, don't blame the school...go to the District, go to the California Lottery...ask them why our school aren't getting what they need! Having had children complete their entire elementary careers at Portola, I have spent a great deal of time on their campus, volunteered for many years, and have had many conversations with teachers and their current principal...and have always come away impressed with how dedicated they are to EACH AND EVERY child's personal success. As previously mentioned here, I also experienced groups of adults at Portola who didn't always get their way, so have set out to damage a fine schools reputation. Shame on you! Thankfully, these people moved on, and Portola can dedicated its energy to the positive, inspiring educating of our children! THANK YOU PORTOLA FOR THE PART YOU PLAY IN CREATING WONDERFUL STUDENTS!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My children have a great love for learning, and have continued to be excellent students. I am confident that this had MUCH to do with the teaching environment at Portola Elementary!

Amount of homework: Agree

I believe the amount of homework was reasonable for the grade levels. Also, the amount of homework, and process for submitting it, well prepared my kids for middle and high school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Portola understands that a persons good character is to be highly valued in becoming a confident adult. Portola doesn't just teach the ABCs and 123s, it teaches very important character traits also!

This school may appear great on paper, but parents beware. The principal here sees your child as two things: a: a test score and b: a $ symbol. The principal at Portola is a bully, horrific at providing even the most basic customer service to parents, and is even more horrific at interacting with the students. The sad part is is that while a few of the teachers are fantastic, the majority of them are only interested in making sure parental money comes flowing into the school. They do not wish to be held accountable with how it is spent, nor play by the rules. I have to question adults (the principal and teachers) who demean and belittle the efforts of their PTA volunteers and demand a certain amount of money from them. Is that really what you want your student a part of? I cannot tell you how many times I heard the principal talk about nothing but test scores and money. Money, money, money. It is disgusting. This school could improve greatly by the administration and teachers there remembering that parents are not their ATM and that the students are not there only to test well and become little drones.

this school is amazing. all the teachers are nice.. especially 5th grade. they have a nice library and principal. most likely best playground in vusd. great test scores and education. a lot more great things. go look at the other reviews or smth

My daughter is in first grade. Each year I have been more and more impressed with the quality of education at the Portola School. Their program is dedicated to educating students not only in basic skills like reading, writing, and math but also in training children to be good citizens. My husband and I love the community feel of the school. Families are encouraged to be involved, but also are not pressured if they cannot. We enjoyed many opportunities to support the school in fun ways: carnival, family picnic days, book fair, etc. I always felt truly welcome and appreciated. Their homework program is consistent and organized, and designed to give students experience with their studies in everyday life. It's so nice to live close to a school of such high caliber. Kudos to the Portola team!

One year in the kindergarten so far. The teacher is AMAZING! He cares about the kids. He knows that different kids have different needs. He tries his best to meet them. His focuses are not only on the academically stuff, but also on educating the kids to be a better person. My kid had a wonderful kindergarten experience. To me, the experience is far beyond my expectation. I am glad that we picked this school and I will recommend it to anyone else.

It is only the first day of school, but I love that Portola had a little fair this past weekend and then a meet and greet the day before school. So helpful for my child getting comfortable about going into 1st grade. Remember parents, its your school while your children are there, don't let the principal get in the way of having a great school!

Portola is a wonderful school that all three of my children have been blessed to attend. My oldest is graduating high school this year and got the very best start at Portola. The teachers are top notch and the school is well maintained. We are VERY happy to be a Portola Family

Last modified Portola Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.