Ventura, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 03, 2014
My daughter is in first grade. Each year I have been more and more impressed with the quality of education at the Portola School. Their program is dedicated to educating students not only in basic skills like reading, writing, and math but also in training children to be good citizens. My husband and I love the community feel of the school. Families are encouraged to be involved, but also are not pressured if they cannot. We enjoyed many opportunities to support the school in fun ways: carnival, family picnic days, book fair, etc. I always felt truly welcome and appreciated. Their homework program is consistent and organized, and designed to give students experience with their studies in everyday life. It's so nice to live close to a school of such high caliber. Kudos to the Portola team!

Posted August 22, 2014
One year in the kindergarten so far. The teacher is AMAZING! He cares about the kids. He knows that different kids have different needs. He tries his best to meet them. His focuses are not only on the academically stuff, but also on educating the kids to be a better person. My kid had a wonderful kindergarten experience. To me, the experience is far beyond my expectation. I am glad that we picked this school and I will recommend it to anyone else.

Posted August 19, 2014
It is only the first day of school, but I love that Portola had a little fair this past weekend and then a meet and greet the day before school. So helpful for my child getting comfortable about going into 1st grade. Remember parents, its your school while your children are there, don't let the principal get in the way of having a great school!

Posted August 19, 2014
Portola is a wonderful school that all three of my children have been blessed to attend. My oldest is graduating high school this year and got the very best start at Portola. The teachers are top notch and the school is well maintained. We are VERY happy to be a Portola Family

Portola Elementary School 3

Posted August 13, 2014
So, as a very involved parent, volunteering my time a lot at school, I must agree with the comments about the principal and the staff. Not the entire staff but a good majority are so worried about losing their jobs that they allow the principal to do as he pleases. It's very sad, to the point that no one wants to volunteer or participate in any school functions. I have been with this school for many years and I no longer feel as I did when my child first started. Very sad.

Posted August 12, 2014
The teachers and staff care deeply for their students. My child has been in this school for 3 years and we have had such a positive experience. The teachers here have developed a great program that keeps all children progressing no matter what their level is. I have recommended this school to ALL of my friends and family.

Portola Elementary School 3

Posted June 23, 2014
I used to go to portola during my younger years with Theresa Johnson as my principle, my family loved it! I decided to transfer my son from montalvo to portola for this reason. (He will be entering kindergarden this year) yet, with all these reviews I almost want to take back that request.

Posted June 22, 2014
Portola is a wonderful school with a caring staff. Parents should feel good to have their children in this school. The staff puts in many hours of their own time to ensure the students receive the best possible education. As for putting emphasis on test scores...this is a means to see if the student are getting what that are taught or does the staff need to make adjustments in the curriculum. Great school; Great staff! So happy to be a volunteer for this school.

Portola Elementary School 1

Posted May 22, 2014
I agree with the postings about Portola Elementary that state what poor leadership the principle provides. I have brought my concerns to him about his staff numerous times and he repeatedly ignores it. Us parents should start a petition, I hope you all have forwarded your concerns to the school board as well.

Portola Elementary School 1

Posted May 14, 2014
This school may appear great on paper, but parents beware. The principal here sees your child as two things: a: a test score and b: a $ symbol. The principal at Portola is a bully, horrific at providing even the most basic customer service to parents, and is even more horrific at interacting with the students. The sad part is is that while a few of the teachers are fantastic, the majority of them are only interested in making sure parental money comes flowing into the school. They do not wish to be held accountable with how it is spent, nor play by the rules. I have to question adults (the principal and teachers) who demean and belittle the efforts of their PTA volunteers and demand a certain amount of money from them. Is that really what you want your student a part of? I cannot tell you how many times I heard the principal talk about nothing but test scores and money. Money, money, money. It is disgusting. This school could improve greatly by the administration and teachers there remembering that parents are not their ATM and that the students are not their only to test well and become little drones.

Portola Elementary School
6700 Eagle Street, Ventura, CA  93003
Last modified Portola Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Portola Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top