No rating

California Avenue Elementary School

Public | K-8

Living in Vista

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $239,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,320.

Posted February 21, 2013

2/21/13 I went waited for my son(autistic) and the teacher and helpers didn't know where he was. They brought me his backpack and searched for him, then finaling walking( not running with concern) to the playground to find him there. I waited ten minutes but adding the time he wasn't in class. I've contacted the principal and district in anger and disappointment that this would happen in a special needs school.

Posted August 14, 2012

Hands down the best preschool ever! The teachers are AMAZING!! I was a little skeptical of the neighborhood and parking is hard to come by, but once your in, Cal Ave is the BEST!!! We were blessed to have found this school for our two older kids and our youngest will be starting this year =)

Posted August 19, 2009

The BEST staff and programs I could possibly imagine for my preschooler. I am always amazed at the knowledge and experience of the special ed staff. The office staff are always friendly and helpful!

Posted June 9, 2009

Love this school. The teachers care so much for my son. They really are wonderful!!

Posted February 24, 2009

My son loves this school and so do I. The teachers are wonderful and only wished my daughter could go here as well!

Posted February 10, 2009

This is a wonderful school for preschool/ Kindergarten children! It is without a doubt the best kept secret in North County. This school is designed to serve children with various special needs, but integrates typical (or non disabled) children with the children who have special needs. The teachers, including the assistants, are highly trained to work with children and it shows. This has been a great 1st school experience for my 3 year old. I drive 13 miles from Oceanside, 3x a week so my daughter can attend this program. If you have a preschooler in the North County San Diego Area, check it out! Excellent leadership. Thanks Cal Ave!

Posted February 4, 2009

I love the staff at Califonia Ave. My son attended Pre-school as well as Kindergarten and has shown so much improvement....I hate to see him leave for 1st grade

Posted June 11, 2008

What a positive and well balanced learning environment for my son. He has progressed so much in the past 2 years at Calif. Ave School. We are so impressed with the teachers and staff!

Posted June 19, 2007

What a great place for my kids to attend school. The staff was just great. They had alot of fun stuff going on all the time. The PE program was the best. I can't wait until August so my child can return. I highly recommend this school

Posted November 7, 2005

This school integrates typical children with special needs children. As a parent of a typical child, I highly recommend this preschool due to the fact that the staff is so caring, attentive and knowledgable. Within the first month, my son was counting to 30, knew all his colors & shapes and had incredible language. Where else can you send your child to preschool and use a swimming pool? My child made friends with kids his own age that were in wheelchairs and he fed the helper dog carrots. He has become so sociable with other children due to this school and its incredible staff. Although the school may look a little worn down, they are the best little secret in town. Do not judge a book by its cover because you could miss out on an amazing school for your child. From one mom to another, check this school out.

Posted August 28, 2005

I think the staff is extremely knowledgeable and provide a wonderful learning environment for the students.

Posted April 18, 2005

Not impressed with the quality/level of DTT training availble and other services for handicapped children. Low IEP goals, low budgets availble, school building is old and run down.

Posted April 6, 2005

My son is autistic and Ca Ave School was great in transitioning him from early start to pre-school. He is now very communicative and we hope he can be mainstreamed. The teachers and staff are all very nice and helpful and have a very good approach towards the necessary behavioral treatment. We are very happy with his improvement. I would recommend this school for preschoolers whether disabled or not.

Posted August 15, 2004

My daughter spent a year as a preschooler, due to significant delays in speech. Her teacher and speech teacher, aides, etc. were wonderful. She loved the school and received much individual attention. I highly recommend it.

Grade level

-13

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

N/A

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 11%

Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

• Rachel Schmidt
Fax number
  • (760) 630-4591

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education