Foothill Oak Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 660 students

Wonderful Teachers and Caring Adults

Living in Vista

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $275,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,290.

Posted December 18, 2012

Foothill Oak has changed dramatically in the last year. The new leadership is wonderful and has worked very hard transforming our school into a welcoming, wonderful place for children and their families. The office staff is now friendly and helpful. The teachers feel respected and apreciated and the students are getting to enjoy more subjects than just English Language Arts and Math. The community is welcome and many activities and events have been planned throughout the school year to get parents involved. Foothill Oak is really turning around and becoming a place every student and family would want to be!

Posted December 17, 2012

I am so proud of what our school has become this year. Under the fantastic leadership of our new principal, the culture and overall atmosphere of the school has dramatically improved! Parents are once again welcomed and encouraged to be involved with their child's education. The focus is back on the child. The individual needs of children are being met by recognizing their different learning styles. Many of Foothill Oak s teachers work very late hours developing plans for the students. The hard work of the staff is acknowledged.

Posted December 10, 2012

School climate is family friendly at Footill! The new school leadership brings a sense of unity- everyone working together with compassion toward goals of excellence for all. I rove from school to school in my job and have seen the staff in the office become more respectful helpful, and caring to students and parents. Excellent teachers share their love of learning.

Posted December 2, 2012

I am the proud literacy coach at Foothill Oak. This is my 2nd year at this site, and I have to say I have never before seen such a positive staff and such hard working teachers! Everyone goes way above and beyond the call of duty to make sure all families are welcome and feel safe and cared for. We have some great programs for families, after school tutoring for students that need extra help, and an awesome afterschool program with the Boys and Girls Club. Our new principal is working hard every day to involve the whole community in making Foothill an exxceptional and beautiful learning environment. Our focus this year is on assuring all students are literate and productive members of our community and are ready for the challenges of college and career readiness! We are moving forward to be on the edge of innovation as we progress toward implementing a 21st century learning environment for all our students. Our staff has high expectations for all and are willing to do what is needed for our students and families. Come check us out!

Posted November 14, 2012

Foothill oak is turning around, This year with new leadership the school is more positive and upbeat. the staff goes above and beyond to help every student. with new programs and extra curricular activities foothill oak is on its way to become a california distingushed school.

Posted November 13, 2012

I am a founding staff member of Foothill Oak Elementary and have taught in Vista Unified School District since 1995, 10 years of that time at Lake Elementary. I am so excited this year to see our wonderful school revitalized with dynamic, child and family focused leadership and a terrific teaching staff. The welcoming environment to the community helps foster involvement of our families in their children's education and the positive support of our teachers encourages new ideas, new programs and hard work. A few of our new programs include Saturday tutoring, art and homework tutoring through the Boys and Girl's Club, Love on a Leash reading to dogs, state pre-school, transition kindergarten class, school beautification Saturdays, running club before school, a student reading lounge for before and after school, and a school-wide pen-pal and science program with scientists in the Amazon rain forest, just to name a few.

Posted April 19, 2012

I would like to say... that this school has some great teachers! But, the staff in the from office are really, really, RUDE! They need to hire different secretaries. They treat the kids with no respect. They also chose NOT to help us the parents when we have questions. I've had a hard time with them. The school also put my son in ELD classes (my son speaks NO SPANISH!!!) just because of his last name. I heard they do this on purpose to get better testing scores!!! Either way this school is by far the worse schools in Vista Unified District! I give it a -0 out of 10!

Posted February 26, 2012

What is happening at this school? Long time teachers are leaving mid-year to go to other schools in the district. The principal seems to replace them with brand new inexperienced teachers- which is not what this school needs. Our students deserve the best, most skilled teachers who have proven themselves. The principal seems to have driven away the strongest and best teachers over the last several years. Could this be the reason the test scores are dropping?

Posted July 18, 2011

The teachers that I have dealt with have been wonderful over the years at Foothill. But almost all of the other staff at Foothill is extremely rude and definitely not trained to interact with adults or kids. They would be better off herding cattle. It seems to me that the budget cuts are hurting the staff and teachers so much that it affects how they feel and act. The over all vibe at the school is depressing and frustrating. The kids feel it and respond to it. I thought school was suppose to be fun and for the kids. A lot of the kids just seem sad and going threw the motions there is no excitement in their eyes. This school is about test scores, politics, drama, and being prejudice if you re not Hispanic. Then the kids might fit into the program. Thank god there are some teachers that still have the heart to make a difference in a child.

Posted May 25, 2011

This school is HORRIBLE! The staff is really rude to the parents and Ive witness they are very mean and rude the the kids that attend this school!!! The principal has tried to kick my son out twice! I have no choice but to keep my son in this school because his daycare is right around the corner. The test scores are low. Parents... if you are considering this school, please choose something else! I would not recomend this school!!! You would not believe what goes on! Its too much to type. But the things I see and what my son tells me. I just wish I would quit my job just so I can take my son to a different school. By the way, the staff in the office are really, really, rude too.

Posted May 3, 2011

Foothill Oak is a great school! The school has improved steadily over the last two years my son has been going there. The new principal has really focused on academics, student responsibility, and getting more parents involved. My son's teacher is wonderful and I have noticed his improved wits and manners at home. There are a lot of native Spanish speaking kids at this school, but I think my son has benefited from it. I think the people who are complaining about any assistance for kids learning English are just ignorant that instruction in California is done in English.

Posted April 17, 2011

Foothill Oak consists of many wonderful teachers, however, dealing with the staff in the office is very frustrating. I feel that one secretary has ebarrassed my son, and that they are far too "busy" to answer parent questions.

Posted December 8, 2010

Foothill Oak is an excellent school with many qualified and caring teachers. State data shows that Foothill Oak has made steady progress each year and although it has not met its most recent goal, staff are working diligently with all students to reach proficiency. Character education, free preschool, before and after school tutorials, Kids College classes, the Boys and Girls Club, music programs, and many more opportunities exist at this school contrary to what other reviews have stated. Teachers are highly skilled in engaging students in learning through the use of interactive strategies to motivate students to use higher order thinking skills. The principal wants nothing but the best for the students and staff. Students are recognized for their accomplishments and teachers take pride in all students.

Posted October 26, 2010

This is school spends too much time with 2nd language students. I get a letter every year on how poorly the school is doing. My kids constantly get bullied and the staff does not care. My sister was rudely treated by the staff for mentioning her kids were being bullied. Some of the teachers are good just as in every school. There are no after school programs or advance placement programs available for children. I would not recommend this school for your kids, it should be shut down, honestly.

Posted August 14, 2010

My child was bullied at this school and i had to go through multiple measures to have something done. the staff is very rude. this school should be investigated.

Posted November 17, 2009

All I have to say is that the staff in the front office is very unprofessional!!! Very rude!!!!! I do not like the way they treat the parents. They talk to us like if we were 3yr olds! I will place my son in a different school next year for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted November 11, 2009

this is the worst school my son has ever gone too!!!! I will never recomend this school. Very unprofessional staff members. My son now goes to empressa

Posted May 21, 2009

This school offers no education for the 'English' speaking children. If Spanish is your primary language than this school is great for you. It really upsets me that as an 'English' speaking parent, my taxes are being spent to teach the non-english speaking children in a forgein language. The needs of the children who speak english are completely over looked at this school. They are not challenged in anyway. Just look at the schools test scores the the ethnic ratio chart you can see how terrible of a school it is.

Posted April 26, 2009

I have had children at Foothill Oak since the first year it opened. My children have been very happy here and so have I. It is a friendly atmosphere and teachers care very much about their students. This school has high expectations and there are many ways for me to be involved. This year there is a new principal and everything is running smoothly. Some parents had a hard time adjusting to the change but are now happy with the changes the new principal has brought. We get many phone messages from the school letting us know about school activities and the new principal's focus on safety and strong academics is refreshing.

Posted April 13, 2009

Foothill Oak has had a complete turn around. In the past year this school has gone from not meeting state standards to moving its kids forward by leaps and bounds. The majority of the school is English language students and that is reflective of the local area in Vista. New programs to connect to parents by the school's new principal began rough but have turned positive as people can see the principals vision and desire for student success. The teachers are wonderful and supportive of kids and this school has a bright future. I am glad I have my 2 daughters enrolled here.

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students30%

Librarian/media specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • School psychologist
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 1:20 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Erin English
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (760) 631-3464

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • San Marcos University

Performing arts
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Recycling club
  • Science club
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Madison Middle School