Breeze Hill Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted August 16, 2014

Ms. Wray is amazing! She is so good with the kids, great activities, patient, kind, includes parents, and the kids got a great education. She is amazing at her job! However, the kids at this school are really low quality. They don't treat each other nicely. Their peers are rude and there is very little supervision at lunch or recess. Mr. Green, although he looks like he's available and listening doesn't have a lot of follow through. Students display aggressive behavior and there is little to no consequences. The older kids would walk by the little kid lines and call them babies and make fun of them. The kids here were also very physical. The whole cultural climate wasn't one I would be comfortable in personally, and one I seriously question for elementary students. They really need campus supervisors that are respectful and lead by example. The way they talk to the children is unacceptable in my opinion. The front office is terrible, rude, uninformed, they should all be scrapped and start with people that like kids and know how to run an office. This is a school for rough children. Which is too bad because It's so awesome in so many other ways.

Posted May 18, 2013

This school doesn't feel very secure to me as a parent because you can just walk right through the front gate. The office staff is not very polite and no ID was checked when I picked up my son early. He loved his teacher though. There was a child picking on my son and when I brought this up to the teacher, she addressed it very quickly. We have since moved away, but my son was at breeze hill for most of the year. Not a bad school...

Posted September 17, 2012

We love Breeze Hill! We are in our 6th year and have enjoyed every year here. We've seen three principals during this time, but are very happy that the current principal, Mr. Green, seems to be here to stay. I have never had to deal with any negative issues with him, so I cannot comment on how he is dealing with a problem, but in my opinion he is very optimistic and upbeat with the teachers and students and parents. My kids have enjoyed every teacher they've ever had and I have volunteered in their classrooms every week and am always impressed with their organization and passion to teach. The campus supervisors do a good job watching the children during lunch and recess, but I do think there should be more supervisors... two ladies watching 250+ students is not nearly enough. But they are all nice and do the best they can. The Breeze Hill PTA put on fun events throughout the year... Halloween Carnival, Father/Daughter dance, Mother/Son day in the park, family nights (my kids love the movie in the meadow), etc. I've never felt like the PTA are very 'clique-y', I think they've always been warm and welcoming and they work hard for the students and teachers- for FREE! LOVE BH!

Posted June 22, 2012

My family moved to Vista last year from the Midwest, and we were not sure what to expect. As far as the quality of the education that my daughter received at Breeze Hill, I can attest that it is superior. Mrs. Sparks (1st grade) was SUCH an amazing teacher. My daughter tells me that she loves her teacher and that she is so sad for the school year to end, because she doesn't want to say goodbye to her teacher. Apparently, she is going to be teaching 3rd grade now. If you have an incoming 3rd grader, do see if you can get Mrs. Sparks! However, even the best of teachers cannot make up for lacking safety at the school. There is no where near enough supervision at this school. My daughter was bullied, hit, shoved, knocked down, had her shoes stolen off her feet, and was beaten with her own shoes. This all occurred at recess. It was always the same 2 boys doing it, and nothing bad ever really happened to them. Occasionally they would go to the principal for it, but he didn't seem to be big on punishment for repeat offenders. I give this school an A+ for education, C for extracurricular activities, and C- for supervision and safety.

Posted May 21, 2012

It is not a horrible school, but I am looking to put my child elsewhere. My son went there for kindergarden. There is a lot of bullying at the school, and it seems like the teachers don't know how to handle it. When he first started there, he was telling us the he was getting hit almost every day, and when we found out who was doing it my husband went to ask the kid why he was hitting our son, but the teacher stopped him and said the parents were not allowed to talk to the kids about that, but she said nothing to the kid about the hitting. Well someone needs to talk to the kids about not hitting!! It got better as the school year went along, prolly b/c the kids starting getting to know eachother better. Safety is somewhat of a concern for me. I have a lot of my different family members pick up my son since I work, and the school never told me that I had to give them any of their names, so basically anyone can pick up the kids. Also, there were times when he stayed home from school sick and we didn't call the school thinking the school would call us since he did not show up for school, but they don't call when your kid doesnt show up. SCARY.

Posted April 9, 2012

Regarding 3-15-12 - I couldn't agree more!! The attitude of the campus supervisors is disgusting! They are disrespectful to the students. The bulling is out of control, when a student tells you that someone is bothering them you don't tell them to stop being a tattle tail and go away. They have allowed the bullying to increase because of their lack of concern. The other problem is if you have (five)- 4th or 5th grade classrooms, each individual grade should have the same projects all year. Its not fair to have half of the 5th graders have to do a big year end projects and the other half do not. What is up with that?? The last issue for me was when it came time for the CST test, the school sent home letters saying have your kids in bed on time make sure they get their rest, They must attend school those weeks! Oh, and they will have FREE breakfast available for any of the students that would like it during those weeks of testing. OK shouldn't that be a given all year long minus the free food?? No they just want to make sure they get their money from the state. They take way more interest in the students during those weeks of school then they do all year long. Very disappointing!!

Posted March 15, 2012

We have been at Breeze Hill now for 5 years and the first 4 years we eally enjoyed it. This year has gone all so bad. Mr. Green the new principle is HORRIBLE!! He is always chasing his tail. The bullying has gotten out of contol and there is no playground supervision. We have ried to work with the school but it has gone so down hill so fast we are changinging our kids out this next year. Its so sad it was a fab school.

Posted August 1, 2011

As far as the 3-2011 post, I would just like to say that #1, Mr Arnold is wonderful, yet he's retiring. We're crossing fingers as far as the next one. The pta is more than willing for any and everyone to volunteer their time to help, that is why they are there, to help. As an outsider who volunteers occasionally, I have seen their appreciation for additional help. Any sour apples aren't there anymore. This past year the pta planned an entire weeks worth of ways to thank the teachers. The teachers said it was the best teach/appr. week they ever had. There is new leadership next year, and they are always needing all the parents to support the school with time or however they can. Breeze Hill is a family. They do have a yearbook and the Gate program was a district wide problem b/c of funding. I am happy we moved because I like Breeze Hill BETTER than Lake. No complaints only good things to say....haven't experienced a bad teacher and next year will be our last before middle school.

Posted March 31, 2011

I can't believe this principal at Breeze Hill is still working. Mr. Arnold is TOTALLY out of touch. The teachers are not supported by the administration or the PTA. The PTA is a click that has no interest in helping the students at all. The parents on the PTA are there to socialize with each other and do not care about the children. Breeze Hill is the most poorly run school I've ever seen. VUSD is in serious need of new leadership.

Posted March 5, 2011

i really like this school i like this school and i am totally new in here and the kids are great here! ************************

Posted February 13, 2010

I am extremely happy with the academic level at Breeze Hill. My daughter tranfered into 4th grade after all prior education in a private school and the level is right up there with what I experienced before. The teachers are energetic, prepared, and most of all happy to be at their jobs. She enjoys going to her seperate classroom for 'blocking' and this program has increased her love of reading. Overall I find the schools teachers, parents, strudents and principle to be a great family to be a part of.

Posted November 27, 2009

We found Breeze Hill to be very mediocre. They use the standard district curriculum of course, but the school seemed lifeless the year my daughter was in kindergarten. I asked the principal if there was a GATE program for kids that starts in third grade, (most schools start Gate in third grade) and was told that they didn't really have a program during or after school, but that the GATE material was 'embedded in the language arts program'. Other schools do much better than that. Of course, this year no VUSD schools will have a GATE program due to budget cuts, but this just illustrates the complacency of this school. They also don't have a school yearbook and have a bare bones web site. The two secretaries are unfriendly and stay at the back of the office. We're much happier now at one of the Vista magnet schools.

Posted September 15, 2009

I have three children and we've been coming to this school now for 6 years. The teachers are very experienced and care about the quality of education their students receive. They go above and beyond to inspire and challenge them to prepare them for the next school year. The PTA is very active and friendly and the school provides occasional family nights and fun school functions to promote school unity. Keep up the great work!!

Posted September 8, 2009

I'm more and more impressed with breeze Hill Elementary! After checking other schools around (our son should go to a different district) I'm really glad we were accepted agasin as a trasnferee. His 1st grade teacher has amazing skills and is really commited to providing an excellent education for her kids, just as his kindergarden teacher was. The AMPM program is also excellent and our PTA is completely hands on! This school is a 10!!

Posted September 4, 2009

This my sons second year at Breezehill and I wouldnt want him in any other school. His Kindergarten teacher more than prepaired him for first grade and he is in the top of his class and will be learning second grade material by January. His first grade teacher is encredible and has a real passion for her students education. As is the case with all the teachers at Breezehill. They care for our children and want them to excell, not just meet the expectations of the district. I do agree the office staff could improve in its relationship with parents and kids. As parent, you want to know everyone is going to treat your child in a caring and friendly manner so they feel safe and secure. But overall, this school is a 10 to me!

Posted September 18, 2008

Our son just started attending kindergarten and we all love it! He also goes to the AMPM program offered by the district and what a great surprise that was!!! It's affordable, organized and discipline is a must! And best of all - the school Test Score just went up to 836!!! We are really pleased with our choice.

Posted April 11, 2008

This is tight knit community school with a great PTA. I hope the PE program remains with this current teacher as it is finally there and my son loves it. I have concerns about reaching the highly gifted students as they have special needs. The state budget only focuses on those 'left behind'. The teachers work very hard and are there well beyond hours. They are strong in reading but I feel Math is only what is in the math book and state standards, nothing more. I hear from others that it gets better in the 3rd grade. Overall it is a great school. My child just has needs they may not be able to meet.

Posted September 25, 2007

Great teachers, but pretty much everyone who works in the front office could be improved. The vice principal, in my opinion, is not doing her job when it comes to discipline and safety. Last year I would have agreed that the p.e. was not the best. My son's teacher actually took away p.e. as a form of discipline. This year, both of my kids get plenty of exercise. The education and teacher quality outweighs anything negative, however. My students are advanced, yet they don't become bored, they always get opportunities for individual challenging work.

Posted July 29, 2007

Breeze Hill Elementary School is an excellent school and it's true that the teacher's are very dedicated to their students. However, physical education is almost non-existent.

Posted May 24, 2007

The teachers are genuinely dedicated to their students and their education. They provide the children quality academics and encourage their growth in social skills, leadership, nutrition and physical education. The administrators are experienced and concerned with the quality of safety, discipline and supporting the education staff. Parental involvement is very active and through volunteering successfully promote and assist in the processes of education, safety, fundraisers, events and school spirit.

This school's

-13

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students57%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1111 Melrose Way