Monte Vista Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 660 students

Living in Vista

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $275,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,290.

Posted December 21, 2013

i love this school < i have 4 kids at monte vista !! its awesome school

Posted February 28, 2013

I have two children that attend Monte Vista. They both started here in kindergarten and now one is in the the 2nd grade and the other is in 1st grade. When my 2nd grader started this school it got a great school rating of 7 out of 10 now it currently receives a 5 out of 7. I am not sure if it because VUSD closed down one of their under preforming schools and now the children are attending this school. All I know is the teachers are great so far and the parent involvement is pretty good. My only problem is with the constant micro managing of parents by the principal. You constantly get correspondence and phone calls. As if there is something wrong with our parenting that is directly effecting the fact the VUSD schools are under performing with the exception of about 3 or 4 schools in the district. The education of my children I do not take lightly. My 2nd grader is preforming above grade level in all subjects. My 1st grader is reading above grade level and is up to speed in other subjects. I don't know what happens in the other student homes, but I find the constant reminders of what makes a "good student" demeaning insulting and sometimes down right intrusive!

Posted October 28, 2012

I have 2 kids at Monte Vista, and we have been very happy. The children have had committed teachers, the PTA is extremely active, there is lots of parent involvement, and volunteering at events & in the classrooms is really stressed. We have also had our kids take the enrichment programs that are offered right after school through Kids College, and they have been great. The new Principal is very hands on & willing to jump right in and help with the kids & parents. Great experience so far!

Posted August 23, 2012

My oldest went to monte vista K-5 and i currently have two children attending monte vista and we have been very happy with our experience. There is a great team of teachers and the pta has always been very involved and worked hard to keep music and art programs available for the kids.

Posted August 21, 2012

We have been at Monte Vista since my son started kindergarten in 2007 and we could not be happier. Monte Vista is more than just a school - it is a family. The staff is amazing - from all the ladies in the Main Office who are always so helpful and accomodating to all the fabulous teachers who help our children grow & learn everyday. With an awesome PTA that provides much needed support raising funds for school programs and a new hands-on principal we feel lucky to be a part of such a great community.

Posted August 21, 2012

My children have been attending this school since Kindergarten. I have a 1st and a 3rd grader and every teacher we have had has been wonderful. My children have learned so much from them and are excelling quickly thanks to their efforts. The front office staff has always been extremely efficient and helpful. I am always greeted with a smile. I have been fortunate to spend a lot of time in my children's classrooms as well as working with the PTA and the front office staff. Each one of them truly cares for our school and are always working to improve it. They are the reason I volunteer more for school functions. It is a pleasure to work with people with positive attitudes and I am thankful for all that they do, especially when it's time to give something extra. Mrs. Manuto school principal is extremely hands on and always approachable. Thank you Monte Vista front office, teachers and PTA for all that you do for me and my children!!

Posted August 17, 2012

my kids went to this school last year...and I must say they had great teachers....however, the staff at the front office is another story. they are not helpful, unapproachable and seem very bothered by both the parents and the kids..A comment made on the last day of school about the kids, by the staff and the new principal made my choice very easy not to send them back, as I'm sure many more parents feel the same who were present.

Posted May 27, 2012

I have 2 kids at Monte Vista Elementary, and both are getting excellent educations. There has been a lot of change at MVE this year (large enrollment increase, multiple principals, multiple PTA presidents), and we are looking forward to things calming down the coming school year. These things are largely invisible to our children, though, who are safe and happy. They enjoy school and learning, have had excellent teachers, and are turning into confident people. The PTA is very active, and offers lots of extras including art & music education. I recommend the school.

Posted May 1, 2012

I hate the staff! made me feel very unwelcomed when we transferred in late in the year. I have no desire to step foot in the classroom which is sad for my child. I sincerely want nothing to do with this school.

Posted September 20, 2010

My daughter first 3 years of her education went well. Not until her 4th and 5th grade did her education went down Hill. The teacher lacked in support unless it was a certain student. She lacked integrity. The TA's at best are jokes. When cuts are manditory she would be first on my list. Everything my daughter learned over summer and winter breaks was lost while attending this teachers class. I think she was probably more concern over her tenure . When a new principal was moved into the position as acting proncipal the school did not even have the common courtesy to inform families. I had to find out the hard way.

Posted September 14, 2010

We now have 3 children in Monte Vista grades K, 2nd and 5th and we have been extremely pleased with the staff and teachers. They do a great job at keeping kids accountable and our kids have done very well in all areas. Everyone is very friendly, caring and genuinely interested in the well being and safety of each child. While we are disappointed that the GATE program is cancelled or on hold, we know that is not a school decision but a district one. And the teacher for our 5th grader offers additional challenges for the GATE children which shows even more great care! The PTA is extremely strong and involved. Without them and the parental support we would not have the Music and Arts programs! Monte Vista is a great, awesome school.

Posted August 8, 2009

Excellent staff and academic values. Creative music, dance and educational approaches from California history to a wax museum where the students portrait a famous American versed in their history. Our student has attened for 5 years now to be six.

Posted June 11, 2008

My little girl is finishing up kindergarten with Mrs. Blakemore. It has been a wonderful year! Mrs. Blakemore was a fabulous teacher and very involved in working toward my daughter's success. I would recommend her wholeheartedly.

Posted September 29, 2007

I have had 2 children in Monte Vista. One of them is in 1st grade with Mrs. Nolan and Mrs. Rayner. These two teachers are wonderful. They both have excellent communication skills and are very involved in making sure my son is getting the education he needs.

Posted January 26, 2007

This school has an excellent RSP program. The greatest asset this school has are its teachers and staff who are among some of the most dedicated I have ever observed. They genuinely care about the students they are helping. In particular, Mary Mezta and Michele Webster are two of the finest, most caring professionals I have encountered. These two ladies are the reason for Monte Vista's excellence in RSP

Posted November 7, 2006

Am a little concerned that although the overall API went up significantly, my child's subgroup actually declined. School should work at making sure all subgroups make progress!

Posted February 27, 2006

We just moved into the area and it was a hard transition for my 3rd grader. Thankfully, her new teacher welcomed her with open arms and my daughter loves Monte Vista. My daughter's teacher is wonderful and brings a smile to my daughter's face everyday.

Posted January 12, 2006

Monte Vista's 2005 API score was 781--the fourth highest out of Vista's 16 elementary schools. This 57 point increase is a result of our teacher's efforts and our school's return to being a neighborhood school as a result of last year's boundary change. Grades 3-5 continue to receive formalized Art instruction. As of November 2005, Grades K-4 receive weekly standards-based Music instruction from our new Music teacher. Weekly Computer Lab recently began for all grades. The school has involved parents,active PTA,a new principal,several family-oriented school functions and a great on-campus atmosphere. My child is a GATE student and I feel that he is appropriately challenged. I would like to see more Science and Social Studies taught at all schools, but with the state and federal government's standards and benchmarks focused on English Language Arts and Math, this must be most school's main focus.

Posted September 27, 2005

I'm concerned about the lack of richer curriculum -- PE is weak, no music, little art, little social studies or science. Due to low test scores, they seem completely focused on nothing but language and math. For kids who are already up to par on these, the curriculum can be very redundant and uninspiring.

Posted April 9, 2005

I have two children at Monte Vista. Our school has a terrific GATE program, active PTA, Art and Dance programs, a YMCA after-school program, and Kids College (a before/after-school Arts and Enrichment program). I have high academic expectations and my children have done extremely well at Monte Vista. Last year (2003-2004), Monte Vista underwent a boundary change which resulted in a large student group from lower academically performing schools coming to Monte Vista--and caused our school to be at capacity (811 students). We also underwent school modernization which caused major classroom/school disruptions. It's an amazing tribute to our teachers that our test scores did not dramatically drop. With the opening of a new elementary school and another boundary change, most of the students who were new to our school last year have left, and we have returned to being a 'neighborhood school' with 535 students. Our test scores should reflect these positive changes!

This school's
API score

816

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students49%

School start time
  • 7:35 am
School end time
  • 1:35 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Charlene Manuto
  • Coed
Fax number
  • (760) 726-0423

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options