Northgate High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Walnut Creek

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $520,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,760.

Posted August 22, 2013

My son just graduated and all what I can say are excellent school the best high school in MDUSD no question. Principal Vice Principals and Teachers are the best.

Posted June 9, 2013

Northgate is a great school. There are some awesome teachers, but I think that the difference is that there are so many options for kids that choose to take them. Our son is in Jazz Band and the opportunities he has had with the music program are way beyond what we could imagine. The music program works because of strong parent and student involvement and Greg Brown is such a dedicated teacher. Students can't get these opportunities anywhere else in the district or in any of the private schools. There are a lot of great electives at this school, our son just wishes that there were more periods available so that he could take more of these classes. As with any school, your experience is what you make it. The opportunities are there. We had really bad experiences at another elementary school in the district and moved to the Northgate area so that our son could attend the school. We don't regret that move for a moment.

Posted May 16, 2013

This is a great school if you are looking for your child to spend a lot of time with Substitiute Teachers and watching videos to fill the time. The school is lax with accountability and keeps communications to parents about issues to a minimum.

Posted July 21, 2012

I am a former student who attended Northgate High School and graduated in 2010 and am currently a junior in college. Everyone has their own experiences in high school, based on their identity e.g. who their friends are, what groups they associate themselves with, etc. I was not a big fan of Northgate at the time; I was an average student earning not-so-impressive grades, I was not involved in as many groups, clubs as I would have liked (I was only involved with Be the Change Club and Softball)... Looking back, I now have an appreciation for the staff and school in general that I lacked three years ago. The parents are amazing and so supportive, the staff is okay, however, because of budget cuts the school's academic flare is beginning to flicker and dim. Although since I have left, they have added Mandarin to their Language Department. This is a good school. (Also, if you have any seniors preparing for college, DO NOT listen to the college counselor. She made me cry on my first day of my senior year, telling me I should not aim too high as to get my hopes up--because of my poor GPA. I was admitted to a 4-year University later that year and now have a better GPA than I did in HS.)

Posted May 1, 2012

I am currently finishing my Junior year at NHS. This school isn't bad overall but its definitely not all its hyped up to be. The main things I can complain about as a cynical teenager are the lack of windows in 95% of the classrooms, the repetitive schedule, the lame students and the horrible cafeteria food. I have had some awesome teachers but about as many who were just alright or that weren't too good. It seems the sports teams are good as well as the sports medicine, AP/Honors and band programs. Though I am not involved in a lot of activities, you can definitely find something to keep you busy if you want. Not such a big fan of the administration. If you live in the area, Northgate will more then serve its purpose as a place for your kids to get a education that will prepare them for college, however don't go out of your way to send your kids to this prison-like high school fortress of mediocrity.

Posted September 1, 2011

Northgate has a very strong parent support base and wide variety of of AP and Honors classes. I am very glad we are here and NOT at Las Lomas or Acalanes due to the neighborhood and the strong parental support. It does make a difference. GET INVOLVED and stop complaining. Even if you work fulltime, find a way to help.

Posted June 7, 2011

Northgate was once a great school but it's now on a downward academic slide. There is no way it is a 10, maybe 8. The parents in this community are amazing but do not be fooled into thinking your kids will have the opportunity to pursue cutting edge academic goals. Get yourself over to LL or Acalanes. Northgate 'talks' academic excellence but the reality is they stop at 'good enough' and won't support a higher vision, even if the student asks for help. Wish they would wake up and turn this around.

Posted April 9, 2011

Does this school have all-time lockers? Because I get lots of books and need an all-time locker.Or I might need a rolling backpack which won't be good.

Posted November 3, 2009

Northgate is a great school, has wonderful programs for our kids, and awesome school spirit. Both my kids loved it there.

Posted September 23, 2009

Northgate is a terrific school. The teachers and staff are hardworking and caring. They motivate the kids to do the best they can, and prepare them for life after high school. Our students are a great group of kids with a sense of community and school spirit. I can't say enough about our principal, we love him. Our only drawback is our school district, we if could get them in shape it would be even better.

Posted September 20, 2009

Northgate high school is such a united school everyone is there for eachother. Our six man section at basketball games is one highlight of the year we are able to show our support. When a tragedy hits northgate we all come together and help eachother get through it. I defintaly think Northgate is the best school for many many reasons.

Posted September 20, 2009

Northgate is easily the best school around. I've spent time on the other campuses, and none of them even come close. The students are mean, stupid and/or very very annoying. The teachers are braggarts and don't know what they're talking about. Sure, the grounds might look a little nicer than ours, but that's not what really counts when it comes to a good school. We've got the best teachers and the best students around! Go Broncos!

Posted September 20, 2009

Northgate is a school full of excellent teachers and determined students that enjoy learning!

Posted September 20, 2009

I love Northgate High School because of our great athletics programs, our awesome teachers and staff, and also because we have the best sports medicine program here at Northgate.

Posted September 20, 2009

Northgate is the best school I've attended in my entire life! The entire student population is like a family, thanks to all the activities the school does together. We have tons of fun rallies and out of school activites. Even though its hard to love your teachers at times, I always realize how much I appreciated and liked them at the end of the year. We have a terrific athletics program and always have a good time.

Posted September 20, 2009

Northgate is an amazing school. The staff and administration, as well as the students does everything we can to make our school the best we can be.

Posted September 20, 2009

I love Northgate of the ethnic diversity, safe classrooms, likeable teachers, and great student body.

Posted September 20, 2009

NHS is an amazing school in that it helps students discover what is important to them via classes and organizations. It provides them with opportunities to take different paths, and figure it out in a positive environment.

Posted September 20, 2009

I love Northgate because of our amazing music program. I have been a part of the jazz band since freshman year and we have won dozens of awards in the two years I have been in it. Last year we placed 3rd out of over 100 California high school jazz bands, even beating performing arts oriented schools. We also were selected to play in the Monterey Next Generation Festival last April, where only 12 high school jazz bands out of the US are selected to participate through audition. Despite all these prestigious honors, our music program is going to the least amount of music festivals/trips that we have ever gone on during my 3 years in the music department.

Posted September 20, 2009

At northgate we have really great students and staff. We have awesome sports teams and it is too bad that there is little support because our teams are the best around. Northgate is the best

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

406 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

190 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

215 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

417 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

385 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

205 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students35%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)74%
Parent education - college graduate80%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate85%
Parent education - declined to state70%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students74%

Parent education - college graduate68%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate82%
Parent education - declined to state59%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

428 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

428 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students96%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 8%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

425 Castle Rock Road