Walnut, CA
Before care: Yes

Walnut Elementary School 2

Posted April 21, 2014
Be prepare or a lot of home schooling if you want your child to learn.

Posted May 29, 2013
My son attended Walnut Elementary School from kindergarten through fifth grade. During those years, Walnut El was first under the leadership of its former principal, Mrs. Stingley, and then its current principal, Mrs. Green. Mrs. Stingley always strived to do her best in the students interests. She strongly advocated parent involvement in school. As to Mrs. Green, with her dynamic personality and approaches, she had implemented many changes and improvements to the school facilities and policies since she came on board. Mrs. Green had always been so warm and kind to the parents. My son had been blessed with all the wonderful teachers that he had. Each of them had a unique personality. They all had different attributes and methods in teaching and inspiring their students. However, they all loved their students deeply and were devoted to doing their best for their students. The principals, teachers, staff, together with all the school activities and programs contribute to providing excellent education for the students. The school emphasizes both academic achievement and good citizenship. Walnut Elementary truly lives up to its reputation as a California Distinguished School. Bravo!

Posted March 08, 2013
I have had 9 teachers and not one has disappointed me or my kids. I see them at fundraisers not just to help correct a wrong but to raise our spirits. They offered chinese after school for the kids that missed the dual immersion program. My oldest loves choir. Both my kids have had art and keyboarding. They enjoy PE, an excellent librarian and JiJi math. We started a garden club and recycle program. Every grade has had at least one field trip. Which I understand the average cost is over $700 which no district can provide, it comes strictly from grants and fundraisers. I see the principal thinking outside the box constantly. I imagine it is not easy to please 450 plus students, their parents and a staff. I'm not a fan of the food, so I pack lunch. Which I don't understand the allergy remark because if my child brings peanut butter they are the one who has to sit in a special area because the principal doesn't want to point out the kids with allergies. If that's not being sensitive to someones circumstances I don't know what is. I remember my teachers instructing from blackboards, white boards and overheads, again I don't see how an interactive smart board is a step down.

Posted March 07, 2013
Wow! I just read a review rating Walnut El. with 1 star accompanied by a scathing report. This has inspired me to voice my opinion. This school has gone above and beyond for my children. With funding being cut everywhere, programs to benefit students have also been cut, but the principal and staff have come up with innovative ways to fill the gap. This school definitely focuses on the "whole" child. My children have received life-long skills and frequently come home excited by activities the school has instituted which are being supported mostly through outside grants the staff sought out and applied for like recycling/composting at lunch time, yoga, art class, etc. I also have personal experience with the special ed. team. We were denied much needed services from the county and another district, but Walnut El. welcomed our family with open arms. Everyone from the principal to the adaptive PE teacher have gone the extra mile for us. This school does have a huge parent involvement that the staff encourages and supports. I volunteer in the classroom when I can and am inspired by the student learning. I'm especially grateful for the technology they have access to here!

Walnut Elementary School 1

Posted March 06, 2013
Walnut Valley USD is overrated. It is the parents dedications and the tutoring culture that pushes the API. Less dollars spend per student in comparison to other districts near by. The current principle is rude to parents and students and seems to be interested in doing what looks good on the surface. Lots of fundraise efforts to recover from Community Club embezzlement last year. Don't really see the dollars work for the community. Not much instruction from the one teacher we had but rather just centers. There is a big disconnect between what really does on if you look closely than what they are advertised they are aspire to do. Not allergy, special education friendly. Could just be the system...misuse of the fundings and a lack of staff equals to lack of resources to attend to kids. Regardless of recommendations from American Pediatric Association school heavily employees electronic screen time as classroom management tool. Food service leaves much to be desired. No cafeteria, too much sugar, food additives laden process food for kids. Not enough bathrooms for the kids thus facilities might not always to part. They need more advocates for students' basic rights!

Posted August 22, 2012
I am very impressed by this school!!! My son is English speaking and is offered to learn Chinese in their Dual Immersion Program, that to me is a head start for a very successful future! I have 2 sons that go here and both really love their teachers and get excited when they see the Principal Ms. Green waiting to greet them! The staff are so nice and make you feel welcome! The Pricipal is very fair and is always Happy!!! I am so excited we moved here and chose Walnut Ele!!!

Posted January 14, 2009
The teachers and staff are excellent! My son has learned alot.He will be prepared for academic and life success. I enjoy being a room parent volunteer and serving the community club. My child is getting a private school education in publilc school. The skills he is learning will be with him for the rest of his life. Bravo, Walnut Elementary!

Posted May 14, 2008

Posted January 03, 2008
I feel that Walnut Elementary is a terrific school. I have had small issues arise, but these issues are always resolved in a very professional and kind manner and I really appreciate that! My boys are happy here and they seem to be interested in what they are learning and I feel that it is the excellent staff and teacher's that makes that difference in their lives. Extracurricular activities would be a plus for this school. But overall, great job Walnut El!!

Posted May 31, 2007

Walnut Elementary School
841 South Glenwick, Walnut, CA  91789
Last modified Walnut Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Walnut Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top