1,228 students|West Covina Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

San Jose Charter Academy
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 06, 2015
The teachers are incredibly devoted to their students. My son truly cared about his teachers, and vice versa. One of his SJCA teachers even visited him this past year while he was home ill during his senior year of high school. This teacher brought a card signed by many of my son's old middle school teachers. A truly devoted group.

Posted September 06, 2015
My son attended San Jose Charter Academy from 2008 through 2011 for his middle school years. It was a dream school. Small, close-knit student body. Devoted teachers. The way the middle school is set up, the students have the same homeroom teacher and the same teachers (with the exception of the extracurriculars) the whole three years. My son needed to be challenged, and his teachers engaged him at the level we had hoped for. He was very well prepared for his rigorous high school honors courses, and is part of the Stanford University class of 2019. The staff, teachers, and administrators were all supportive and responsive to our needs. San Jose Charter Academy is a gem of a school where your child will receive a private school quality education free of charge.

Posted January 25, 2015
Great school. My daughter received the Academic Excellence Award signed by President Obama. Thank you SJA teachers, she is on her way to higher achievements thanks to your teaching.

San Jose Charter Academy 2

Posted November 18, 2014
i have to say, upon reading and hearing of how wonderful this school is, I was definitely interested in trying to get my child on the early enrollment wait list. having called the school and spoken to one of the staff, in hopes to reap some sort of benefit from speaking to them about early enrollment applications, i received a very disappointing response. the staff stated " there is a very long wait list, and even if you were to want to enroll early there is nothing you can do but wait until the first two weeks of January of the enrolling year , WE HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO COME HERE ". I am absolutely baffled as to why a school with such high accreditation's and scores and ratings wouldn't have such a requested wait-list for enrollment. My question is, instead of making a parent feel helpless about trying to enroll their child into a "great" school, why don't you offer a little bit of more help or encouragement. For a school with such high ratings I'd have to say the "snoot" factor needs to be downplayed.

Posted January 28, 2014
This is our first year at SJCA and so proud and grateful to have Mrs. Carter as my son s kindergarten teacher. She is an exceptional educator my son has grown so much in her class. We are looking forward to the next 8 years and what this extraordinary school has to offer.

San Jose Charter Academy 4

Posted September 26, 2013
I have been very happy with the education my kids have received from SJCA. I appreciate the time and effort the teachers put into their students. Most f the teachers that I have encountered seem to sincerely care for my children. It is obvious that the teachers are held to high level of performance from administration and are continuously re-evaluating and improving on their teaching methods. One complaint I have is my experience with a conflict resolution. I feel the principal did not thoroughly understand my issue and was not sincerely interested in supporting me. While I do feel the RSP teachers do an excellent job, the Administrator of Special Ed, Ms Vela, is rude and self righteous. She is condescending in her dealings parents and lacks compassion and understanding for parents who are coping with having a learning disabled child. The teachers shine at SJCA! The really make the school great!

Posted August 13, 2013
SJCA is one of the top schools in California with excellent leadership, exceptional teachers that motivate their students to reach their potential. Last year was our first year at the school and we are super pleased with the results we have seen in our kids academic career. We do believe that while the school does an amazing job that it would not be possible without the high parent participation in the classroom and on campus. This fact has made our experience great because we are meeting likeminded parents that have a vested interest in the success of their kids academic career. There are only a few things I think the school can do a better job at. One would be a stronger onboarding process for first time parents mainly because it's such a different system that you see in other schools. Second, I would ask that the school would solicit more parent feedback and use the data to create a better parent/student/teacher experience. Lastly, I would like to seem more emphasis on STEM through student clubs, camps or workshops. That being said, SJCA is like no other. We look forward to the next 10 years with them!

Posted August 11, 2013
My two children attend SJCA and love it. I am pleased with how well they are doing academically, and how the teachers find ways to challenge them. I like the fact that all teachers work on the same curriculum, so I don't need to worry that one teacher is teaching at a more advanced level than others. I also like that they are placed in reading classes based on their skill level. Overall, I feel fortunate that my children attend this school.

Posted August 11, 2013
This is a charter school with some really great teachers and staff. They really challenge the kids to do their best while installing core values for their future. Admissions here is based on a lottery, sign them up once they are ready to start kinder.

Posted July 07, 2013
I love this school and only have one year left to attend SJCA. My experience has been wonderful and the teachers make you feel welcome. Every teacher has their own way of making you feel like you are doing great and that you should keep it up. Even if you do need to step it up a bit... But overall I will remember this school as a fun, healthy, and helpful environment for everyone. The activities that you are open to join teach you new things and add some creativity to your days at school.

San Jose Charter Academy
2021 West Alwood Street, West Covina, CA  91790-3259
Last modified San Jose Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.