West Covina, CA
Students enrolled: 1,953

Posted August 14, 2012
Disclaimer - my student only attended for one semester, and have heard that the AP program is good. Positives first - sports coach was great, math teacher provided outside help when asked. However, as a whole, my teen's experience in the regular program involved substandard academic work. We chose SHS because the last district we lived in required constant parental involvement (i.e. - last-minute runs for special school supplies, travel). However, my teen went from struggling to maintain a B-/C+ average in middle school (old district) to making easy A's and B's at SHS with little effort. Lots of drugs/alcohol, kids sleeping/texting in class or cutting class, ridiculous "Study Skills" period that was a free-for-all socializing period, complete lack of instruction (i.e. - my teen only wrote two short in-class English essays and one short essay at home), science take-home exams, almost no homework. Sure, it boosted the GPA, but at what cost? Check out the CST scores for this school - this gives a much more accurate picture of the academics. And yes, I am aware that the school is the best in the district, which doesn't speak well for the district as a whole.

Posted October 22, 2009
At times, the school seems overly concerned about athletics, but overall, it's not so bad. The teachers seem to care about their students and are good at what they teach, and there's not too much violence going on either.

Posted October 18, 2009
I attended SHHS and found that the academics were mediocre at best. Although there were a few teachers who really showed care and passion for their subject, there were many that gave alot of busy work. I remember many a teacher passing out a work sheet and then going to the back of the room to talk to other teachers and watch football plays on repeat on video. Any class where you had a teacher who was also a coach meant you had a pretty easy class. I am thankful I had no athletic skill because I saw many a friend fall victim to the insane amount of pressure placed on their shoulders. The wrestlers are obsessed with weight and the football players were known to take drugs to enhance their performance. Im glad I went here though, compared to rival schools I felt safe and thats always a winner.

South Hills High School 5

Posted November 29, 2008
This school is a lot better for children, especially academically, than any nearby school. I'm so glad I sent my child here.

South Hills High School 3

Posted June 28, 2008
This school is good if your child is an athlete because that is all the school really cares about. If you want a good school for academia then I advise you to go somewhere else.

Posted April 02, 2008
South Hills overall was a relatively good experience. There are many extracurriculars to get involed in, many AP classes to to take, and nice people. The administation is mediocre. The counselors could do a lot more to advise the students better, but I got to where i needed to be so I guess it wasn't all that bad.

Posted February 20, 2008
The only thing South HIlls has in it's favor is the athletics. The administration favors athletics so much over academics that if your student is a gifted athlete the administration will overlook any infraction they may have regardless what school policy is broken or how illegal it may be. There is no community among the student body unless it is with the cliques in sports or ASB and student behavior can be horrible. The one thing the students mostly share is apathy towards their grades. These are a few reasons I decided to leave and teach else where. It once was a great school but has recently declined greatly in academics and student involvement in their school community and with the current leadership it is not surprising.

South Hills High School 5

Posted January 31, 2008
this school continously proves itself to be academically proficient, i am a senior at this school and i would consider myself 100% satisfied with the methods used by the entire staff to further my education and prepare me for the future. It recently recieved a 4 year WASC accreditation which is outstanding among other schools in the area.

South Hills High School 1

Posted October 18, 2007
focus more on sports rather than academics and students' behavior. So if your kids are not athletes,this is not the high school for you.

Posted October 14, 2007
this school is amazing and extremely concerned with students excelling academically.

South Hills High School
645 South Barranca Street, West Covina, CA  91723
Last modified South Hills High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Hills High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top