Hollingworth Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 738 students

We are best known for No Excuses University program.

Posted October 13, 2013

As a whole, Hollingworth is an excellent school. While they factor in college education, they let them have fun and be kids. The "No Excuses University" logo is an excellent depiction, as they strive to make sure every child gets what they need in. I've never once had any office staff give me any attitude. They're always cordial to me, and help me with what I'm inquiring about. Whether I come in to the office or call early in the morning, they're always nice to me. I think one of the best things about this school is how they allow and support parents' participation in their children's education. Whether it be fundraisers so they can have more field trips/activities/ supplies/ etc. for the kids, or asking for volunteers to help out within the school hours. The principle is excellent. He is inviting to the parents, greeting us every time we see him, he's always cordial to us, I never just see him hanging out in his office. He's always outside helping with activities, and greeting parents and staff. The last time I was at the school for my son's Parent/Teacher Conference, I saw him coming back from helping with crossing guard duties.. If that's not commitment, I don't know what is.

Posted October 8, 2013

my school is the greatest. i have my 2 sons here and i attended Hollingworth myself.

Posted February 8, 2011

My son is in Kindergarten at Hollingworth, and his cousin is a student there. I think that it is a good school academically. The teachers do a good job of both challenging and encouraging the children. The "No Excuses University" idea seems a bit vague, but the kids are excited about going to college. The principal is a good leader. A few negatives: The atmosphere is not welcoming to mothers who work outside the home. I would like to volunteer, but there seem to be no opportunities for those who can't come to school during the day. The school has many student activities during the day, and I miss out on a lot. The stay-at-home moms definitely have an "in" at the school. Also, for the school to have such a diverse population, it seems to be very "old fashioned". I was a bit uncomfortable with my son coming home with projects made for Columbus Day. I really don't see many books that celebrate the different ethnicities of the children who attend the school. And I know that all public schools are struggling, but can the school ease up on the fundraising? In sum, the school is good academically. But in certain aspects, it's more 1968 than 2011.

Posted September 16, 2009

I too moved from the Charter Oak district and was afraid of how the schools were over here. He was supposed to go to villa corta which i did not approve of due to their location and state scores. District tried to tell me in a letter that it was a distinguished school?? How can that be when it has a score of 3 out of 10? So I did my research on greatschools.com and found Hollingworth. I couldn't be happier! Great school so far and my son loves it! Thanks Ms kim and to all the staff and teachers. Your doing a wonderful job!

Posted September 15, 2009

We just move to West covina.My kids are coming from Whittier School District. I was afraid the reaction from my kids to a new school.Im pleased to say that my kids are very happy in Hollingworth. Principal, Mrs. Kim, is so involved and a Great leader . So far, my experience with the teachers has also been a pleasure. They are very involved with the children and seem to genuinely care about them.

Posted August 21, 2009

this school is the best and it is so much fun . all the teachers are so freindly and so much fun to be around. hollingworth is amazing and super close. many kids have enjoyed and loved their teachers.teachers are so kind and they always think of new ways of learning and games that include the lesson. the teachers are so polite and thaty care so much about the children.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 30, 2009

Hollingworth is a darling! We love everyone: Mrs Kim (Principal), Mr. Gus (VP), the front office staffs, the kindergarten teachers, and cafeteria lady--Ms Maria. My son attends K3 with Ms Vong. He had so many issues at the start of the school year, but Ms Vong has helped him outgrow his babyness, became a big kindergartner, and now a high achiever. He has excelled well in his class and has blended well with the rest of the kids. He was one of the honorees for the student of the month, and an accelerated reader as well. He has quickly made friends. There are a lot of parent involvement activities here. You can even volunteer your time to your child's classroom to help with the day's activities. We had so much fun with Hollingworth. Every time spent here is so precious. We definitely recommend this school.

Posted May 20, 2009

Not happy with our experience with this school, it's been very unpleasant and leaves much to be desired.

Posted March 14, 2009

I had my kids attending Christian schools. Two were attending daycare and one was attending preschool. When my child was ready for kindergarden I called the Oswald and they told me my child was assigned to go to Hollingworth. I was outraged that I could live in Walnut but my child had to attend a Rowland school . Compared to the Walnut schools Hollingworth couldnt compete as far as appearances. I couldnt have been proven more wrong, the beauty is within. The heart and dedication that the staff, teachers, vice principle, and principle convey superceeded my expectations. Walnut schools I'm sure are competitive, but Hollingworth Elementary will always be my first choice. Keep up the great work Mrs. Kim (principle)

Posted April 14, 2008

This school is more than fantastic. The principal, Mrs. Kim, is one of the most involved and lead by example persons I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She is respected and loved by all the children. So far, my experience with the teachers has also been a pleasure. They are very involved with the children and seem to genuinely care about their education as a whole, not just test scores. The school offers several programs and activities for the children, all of which they have great participation in. The PTO could use some greater parent participation, but they do a lot with the few parents that do attend. I may have to move soon, just because California is becoming so expensive, and my number one issue with moving is having to remove my child from such a great school!

Posted September 10, 2007

Hollingworth has a very good parent involvement program. Everyone makes you feel welcome. Great teachers and high expectations for all students. They have a beautiful library filled with on-line computers and a beautiful reading garden and a unbelievable computer lab. Foreign language is offered along with music,and sports. Teachers are willing to stay after school and help the students on their own time. I'm a parent who has 2 kids that already have gone through the school and 1 is still there.

Posted May 10, 2007

My daughter attends Hollingworth Elementary, and I am more than satisfied with her education. Teachers are very involved in the students education, as well as us parents. The way parents and teachers work together is productive for the students. I am glad my daughter attends this school. Thank you, Teachers!

Posted April 30, 2006

After three children, all of whom will be Hollingworth products, I must say that this school has truly earned their claim of being one of the most outstanding schools in the district. I think this is all due to the fact that Hollingworth truly cares about their students and have always worked to give them the best possible environment for learning. I have good relations with all my kids' teachers, and they are always very accommodating. I especially like to commend their Saturday conferences. It gives busy parents, like us, the chance to meet teachers and see their classrooms. The curriculum is challenging and fun, as my kids can attest. They enjoy the activities, and they're learning at the same time. I am a busy parent , but I make it a priority to connect with this part of life. Hollingworth School makes it a lot easier.

Posted March 29, 2006

This school is definately not parent friendly and do not do enough to encourage parents to be involved. They do have a great after school reading program for those who need a little help but they offer nothing for the lower graders who need more challenge.

Posted August 1, 2005

Great Staff and faculty. They recently got a new principal and at first I was worried being that the previous principal did such a good job but after little time the new principal made some great changes and has made the transition as smooth as possible.

Posted June 24, 2004

This is the best school in the Rowland Unified School District. Dr. Cathy Carter is the a great principal and hires only the best teachers. They truly become one of the Hollingworth family. It shows how much teachers respect each other, the partents and most importantly the students. I have been a parent at Hollingworth for 15 years. It has been a great experience for my entire family.

Posted April 21, 2004

In my opinion Hollingworth is a very poorly run school. The principal is very much out only for herself. I know of many children having problems in the school, who are not getting any help. The teachers are good but they lack the support from the principal. It is such a disadvantage for the children because I know alot of them are so intelligent.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students45%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Chinese (Cantonese)
Korean
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • California Business Excellence Award (2009)

Special education / special needs

• Access to sports fields

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Michael Hoon
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Spanish
  • Tagalog
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Access to sports fields