Public charter
West Hills, CA

Posted May 07, 2015
My 13 year-old went to this school from 2nd grade until 5th and my 7 year old has attended this school for the past year. I have all good things to say. They have great communication, expectations are high enough, but not overbearing, and the teachers are great. I've had my children in other highly recommended schools in the West San Fernando Valley and while this school is not as appealing aesthetically, it is a safe and good school. I have noticed that it is a much more culturally diverse school than many of the others with a lot of parents who show great support and great respect for one another. So far so good.

Hamlin Charter Academy 1

Posted April 27, 2015
I do not recommend this school. Do not let the test scores and solicited reviews fool you. My child who attended daycare and pre-k prior to attending this school loved school until he started Hamlin Kinder. His stress level was so high after the first few days that he started grinding his teeth, crying and hiding under the bed begging not to go back then ended up with a medical condition caused by stress that he will require treatment for many years if not life long. I will not go on about the many incidents we have had, but assure you that there are good schools out there and urge you to locate one. My heart bleeds for the children at this school and the many incidents I have witnessed and the parents likely have no idea what their kids are going through. So sad.

Posted April 26, 2015
This good school my son learned a lot from teacher . Now my son known too much

Posted June 19, 2014
After spending the first half of the year at another very well known and sought after LAUSD school on the other side of the Valley, we moved and were assigned to Hamlin Charter Academy as our local school. I was concerned that my daughter might have difficulty adjusting to a new environment, but my fears were gone when I met her new kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Betts. Mrs. Betts is warm, gentle, and kind to her students. She is willing to address any concerns parents might have, and even gives out her personal phone number for calling or texting after school hours. Within a week of being in the class, my daughter became a "reader" and was excited to go to school everyday. The school also offers lots of extra programs like computer lab and weekly music classes. We feel very lucky that Hamlin is our school.

Posted June 13, 2014
My daughter just finished kindergarten at Hamlin, and it was a wonderful experience. Mrs. Klima is the best! This is a small elementary school in a nice little neighborhood with a principal that truly cares about the students. They put a great deal of thought into which students will be a good fit with certain teachers, and always seem to put the students first. Like most schools in LAUSD, the budget is a struggle, but they still managed to have art, computer and music classes. There are many great schools in the West Valley, but this one is a hidden gem.

Posted May 15, 2014
Part 1: What's a better way to appreciate your teacher during appreciation week then to post what a Great Teacher she is. To Miss Atalla our 4th grade Advanced Teacher. What are the qualities that make you a Great Teacher: 1.A great teacher respects students. In a classroom, each person s ideas and opinions are valued. 2. A great teacher creates a sense of community and belonging in the classroom. The mutual respect in this classroom provides a supportive, collaborative environment. 3. A great teacher is warm, accessible, enthusiastic and caring. she is approachable, not only to students, but to everyone on campus. 4. A great teacher sets high expectations for all students. She realizes that the expectations she has for her students greatly affect their achievement; she knows that students generally give to teachers as much or as little as is expected of them. 5. A great teacher has her own love of learning and inspires students with her passion for education and for the course material. She constantly renews herself as a professional on her quest to provide students with the highest quality of education as possible.

Hamlin Charter Academy 3

Posted May 09, 2014
You know your lucky if there is one teacher that really make a positive difference in your child's life, and that teach is Miss Atalia. This is Miss Atalia first year at Hamlin Charter Academy, teaching our 4th grade advance class and she is an incredible teacher. Her focus is always on all the children in her class. She is very organized with her lesson planning and is up-to-date with all the new curriculum, but keeps it fun and interesting, which helps our children in so many ways. My child loves how she taught them science with real experiments. She has taught the children to not only respect their teacher and other classmates, but to respect themselves and to always try their best and work hard to achieve their goals. Out of all the years we have been at Hamlin, there has only been a handful of teachers who you will ever see after school, wiling to make time to speak with parents and take extra time with children who might need it; you couldn't ask for a teacher with more passion and dedication helping our children succeed. The 4th grade advance class is her expertise, she really helps prepare our kids for the 5th grade better then any other 4th grade teacher here. THANK YOU!!

Posted February 28, 2014
We were formerly at a very expensive & well-known private school. We have 2 boys who are both at the top of their class and doing fantastic. They love their teachers & respect the principal. Mr Herrera, Mr Vazquez & Mr Heurta are some of the best educators I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and having impact our lives so deeply. My children admire them so much.My children make that extra effort because they know you all truly care about their success. Mrs Kaplan sets such high standards for both the children & the staff, I feel it far surpasses private school expectations. Keep raising the bar Mrs Kaplan. Our children deserve a great education. Veronica, Wendy & child is hurt, I know that Veronica, their teacher & Mrs Kaplan are caring for my child as if they are my child's parent. I picked this school very carefully and am very pleased with the education, attention and respect my family had received. I highly recommend this school & the teachers I listed. These are wonderful people who are very dear to my family. Thank you all & please continue the exceptional job you are all doing.

Posted October 25, 2013
I've had my child at Hamlin for the past 3 years and I have nothing but positive things to say. Principal, teachers, office staff even the janitor are nothing but nice, caring people. My child is very comfortable in class and at the school in general and so am I. This school is one in a million!!!

Posted October 08, 2013
Hamlin Charter Academy is AMAZING........although there is not that much Parent involvement the teachers that Principal Kaplan has brought on board this year makes up for it. I have a child in the 4th grade advanced class with Mrs. Atalia and I can not say enough wonderful things about her. I'm sure it was hard for her to come into an already established school with students & parents who have already been there for a few years, but she is AMAZING. Her teaching styles are top notch, her communication with parents is awesome, her desire to be involved in all school related activities is breath of fresh air. My child has never been so excited to go to school. I highly recommend Hamlin and if you are one of the lucky ones to have your child taught by her you will not be disappointed.

Hamlin Charter Academy
22627 Hamlin Street, West Hills, CA  91307
Last modified Hamlin Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hamlin Charter Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 73 reviews. Top