Haynes Charter for Enriched Studies

Charter | K-5 | 409 students

Posted August 23, 2014

I love this school! It is a small community school with awesome and very well prepared and great teachers (some more than others). Both my two boys attended this school and have moved on to middle school. Our family is going to miss it so much. Mrs. Stokes, we will never forget. The best of the best! Mrs. Kara, another amazing teacher very caring and very unique! Mrs. Richard, always involved in the students' learning. Mrs. Black (another jewel) PLEASE GO BACK TO 5th GRADE! It wasn't the same without you:(Thank you Haynes for preparing our students for the future. Only downside: needs to get with technology. They are getting there slowly but surely.

Posted March 25, 2014

Update the website link! It should point to haynescharter.com not the expired link you have.

Posted September 15, 2012

I have been a student at haynes from 1st grade- 5th grade and It was great.Its was great school to be at for 5 whole years.I love it! The teachers are very understanding and the principal is too! There we have many fun! Not once! I have ever seen bad stuff in that school.Now that I am in middle school I miss it.But I will always see my wonderful teachers, and remember and the fun we had. This is a great school for children, also has a good playground and shady trees if it's hot out. But the fun has just started! On rainy day kids will be able to watch movies, rated PG or G or play some games. I would really recommend this school. Also There are many FUNdrasisers at the school like selling chocolate or cookies. Last thing, There are also many movie nights with the kids and parents.. Don't need to bring food! They make some!

Posted August 28, 2012

Haynes elementary is a fantastic elementary school in West Hills. Mrs. Meade is a top notch principal and the faculty care deeply about the growth and development of my children. We just finished up at Haynes and I have to say that I feel my kids got a top flight education there. The primary grades especially boasts an incredible faculty with teachers whose styles and emphasis compliment each other and the school nicely. Strong parent involvement and an active support network make this a hidden gem.

Posted December 1, 2011

My child was only there from Kindergarten to half of 2nd grade. So I can only give a review on my experience for those limited amount of years. He started in the 2006-2007 year. We started with my favorite teacher Mrs. Levine in Kindergarten. I truly mean we. She has a way of making the vast majority of the parents participate. She was a truly wonderful teacher and I believe my child learned more in that year than in any year since. She is a one in a thousand teacher at the least. I regretfully can't remember the first grade teachers name but we really did like her and we really enjoyed Mrs. Black as the second grade teacher. Both teachers seemed to really care. The school was a small school and I believed that helped. I really felt that the parents where active and concerned about the school.

Posted September 19, 2011

This is a great school. The environment is very homely. Teachers and school staff are very good and really helpful. Teachers pay attention to every kid in their class room.

Posted September 11, 2011

This school will be much better if there was a certain pile of people not attending, its a shame that the children have better maturity then all the adults at this school so sad, my child attended haynes from kinder to third grade it was peer depression the bullying that goes on, the teachers favoritism, the principal lack of help, it was just a complete waste to stay at this school, and don't get me started with the PTO the first PTO from when I came to haynes was great that was in 2006 THE PTO that was called TEAM HAYNES was awesome, they did so much for the school and never got appreciated not ONCE, I wish I could of helped more but me as a working parent I couldn't participate as much as I desired, there were only two ladies on the board who made the school great, I know one was the schools dj and forgot the other but school was getting what it deserved and I for one was very pleased from what I was hearing, with nothing improved my family was still not happy because of the principal not doing nothing and the teachers were getting worse, very happy that we are not dealing with haynes street anymore in our lives

Posted September 10, 2011

This year at Haynes has started out with such a positive note, The Ice Cream social was back to normal. Free ice cream for all!!! The 2011-2012 board is surprisingly made up of 4 Dads and one Mom..... Its always been a Great little school. I cant wait to see what this board has in store as far as events, unfortunatly there wasn't much for our family to participate in last year, we really had a great time volunteering the year before. I enjoyed reading all the posts related to the board 2 years ago, they were nice people who disclosed every expense, had tons of fun family events, and made a huge difference in our child's school experience outside the classroom. I can't say the same about 2010-2011 board, I never got to know any of them mainly because my husband and I felt like they had it all covered and didn't need outside help from others. Plus they seem to have some tension among themselfs something we didn't want to get caught up in. It can only get better, great school great teachers!

Posted July 25, 2011

Lets just say THANK GOODNESS the 2010-2011 board is OUT! They made decisions based on their wants & needs without ever asking the parent population what THEY would like to see for their children. They were manipulative, brash, and hurtful to others... not roll models I want for my children. There were 3 board meetings last year and each one resulted in hurtful allegations to previous board members... not at all what I expected from the parents who are supposed to be representing our school. Very sad. Needless to say, the school is a good one regardless of the PTA drama.

Posted July 11, 2011

The fact that the PTA does not have to follow any guidelines says it all about this school and its principal. This past year was atrocious with parents pushing each other on campus during a school event. The 2010-2011 PTA was the best and did a lot of great things for the kids and it was really nice to see that. I do not look forward to next year since they are bringing back the people who caused all the problems this year as the PTA President. Power hungry parents are always a problem. They won't get anything from me since they have been very unaccountable for where the money has been spent in the past. I will give my money directly to the teachers and steer clear of all of these people who seem to think they "own" the school.

Posted July 7, 2011

Our second child to go through the school is going into 5th Grade. A+ Teachers, A+ School. CST scores high so something is being done right. As you can read, there were PTO problems last year and old voted out board seems to be posting low stars in protest. There were exactly 3 PTO meetings last year (should be monthly), absolutely no decisions were voted on by the parents and teachers, and the majority fo the fundraising was from selling ice cream and pizza after school every single week which only hurts the LAUSD Cafe and in my opinion leads to childhood obesity. Enough anger, we have been first hand volunteers at the school over the years and it is time to move on and make the Parent Experience as great as it has been in the prior 8 years that we have been involved with this great neighborhood school. If you come to the school, please get involved, it really helps!

Posted June 22, 2011

I have been a Haynes St. School Parent since kindergarten. I am a volunteer and very involved in the school. We have great teachers, the parents are very dedicated to their children and the result is a happy smart learning environment. We have 2 major problems -- Our Principal is led by a group of parent volunteers that have an obsessive need for power and status. I call them the "cheerleading and jock" group their behavior is High School. The Principal allows them to be rude, catty, non-supportive and extremely discriminatory against others ideas and efforts. It's not sad -- they're pathetic. But it's a small group that does not affect the greater Haynes St. community.

Posted June 20, 2011

I have had 3 chilkdren at Haynes with two in middle school now. My son will be finishing 5th grade this year. I've seen PTO people come and go, but this year the new PTO Team Haynes ROCKED!! Its too bad not ebough people had the voice to stand up and say we want them to stay. Ive always supported the fundraising at any school i've been at so thats not the thing here. Im usually keep my opinions to myself, but it's almost funny to see the SUDDEN posting on here right when the PTO Board is changing BACK to many from the old board FOH. Jealousy is what it's all about. A new board came did things different & kids and a lot of the parents loved the change. Things got done and theyre buying things for the school and the kids that Ive always wanted to see. We're going to finally have PE again next year after so long because they raised enough money and are making sure that money is going to go where they told the parents it would. So dont worry about all tbhe stuff the jealous ones are posting on here. Haynes is a decent school. Not great but its decent. If its your home school your kids will do fine.But yea its time for the principal to retiire and let Haynes move into the future.

Posted June 19, 2011

This has to be one of the worst run schools in the Valley! there are a few teachers that really care about their kids, most of the teachers are just biding their time til retirement. The principal follows the rules when it suits her and shows her favortism for certain kids and parents.There is no discipline at this school and the kids and there nasty parents do as they like. Its disgusting how she sits in her office and does nothing for the school. weve had our daughter at one other school and switched here because of test scores. what a mistake! I think all this talk about the PTA is put on here by the people who brought it downin past years never putting money back to the school.The events by the new PTA were so much better this year not the same old tired stuff. The principal has thepeople who ran it before coming back next year to run the PTA again. I wish we had done open enrollment now to get out of this place. But we're stuck. If you dont have to come here, dont. There are way better schools bearby.

Posted June 16, 2011

The school is as great today as it has been last year or a year before that. Continuous test score improvement and stable teaching staff attest to that. There was some SERIOUS bad blood between the PTO members that were voted OUT in 2009 and the 2010 ones. Sore losers were stirring the pot for the sake of it. There has been just ONE serious oversight, however unintentional it has been. We have a PTO and the basic papers have gotten in disarray over the years. The 2010-2011 board heeded to the legal advise that "starting fresh" is faster and cheaper than filing all the legal papers and enduring delays with research necessary to prove that old names and mascots indeed belong to the school. So, the beloved mustang mascot has been given the second-class treatment comparing to the new "Team Haynes" . During the regular meeting the board acknowledged that the switch was a mistake. The principal is great and efficient and does her job well. The fact that she has not availed herself to the infighting between the former and the current board is a plus! Male teachers - know both. IMHO the cause of the complaint are increased performance requirements that not every parent is ready for

Posted June 10, 2011

We are thrilled to be part of this school community! After the exhausting process of open enrollment, we decided on this school for our daughter who was entering kindergarten. We are so happy we did. Her teacher, Ms. Zena is one of the most amazing teachers - she reminds me so much of my mom who was also a dedicated kindergarten teacher for LAUSD. Ms. Zena lovingly pushes her students to learn what she knows they are capable of and understands the many ways a child learns. The school has an active community of parents who take an interest in their children's education. (Yes, there are politics. News flash- That's at EVERY school.) There are fun events scheduled throughout the year. The school also has a great after-school program (Creative Kids) and the LEAP enrichment program offers classes there. All in all, we couldn't be happier with our decision!

Posted June 7, 2011

This school USED to be great... however, after several years of a great learning environment, things really went downhill this year. There has been so much conflict that it seems like the staff is just looking out for themselves. The parent group (TEAM Haynes) has brought much anger and dissension to the campus, and I can only hope that the school regains the family-like atmosphere it once had. It makes me so sad to be a part of Haynes now, knowing how low it has gotten. One of the teachers we had this year seemed extremely overwhelmed by the number of students in his class while other teachers with the same number were completely capable of accomplishing the work AND maintaining a positive attitude. Too bad he's not ready to retire. It's also too bad that the principal seems afraid of TEAM Haynes and many other conflicts that arose.

Posted June 6, 2011

This school is a wonderful school! My son used to attaend a private school and the education he receives at Haynes is far superior! The teachers are caring and make every effort to work with your child's individual learning style. What's brought this school down in the past year was the the 2010-2011 PTA board. They took it upon themselves to not involve the parents & teachers in many of the decisions they made, causing much friction and animosity between the PTA board and the parents/ teachers. I know with a new PTA for 2011-2012, this school will resume it's once glorious reputation as the "best little school in the Valley"!

Posted February 28, 2011

What a great little school. The principal is wonderful, a little on the quiet side but very smart. I heard she is nice to her staff, it shows when you walk into the front desk and the people are smiling. Save your money for college, pick a public school not private. The school does need help with their fund raising but the children aren't lacking anything especially in Mrs. Mindy Levines class for kindergarden where they are treated like celebrity children, very classy in that room.

Posted October 8, 2010

We are new at Haynes this year and loving it! Great small school feel, with dedicated teachers who really care for the kids!

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students81%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 304 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents12838%
Students17688%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6624 Lockhurst Dr.