Public charter
West Hills, CA

Posted April 14, 2015
Pomelo is a wonderful school & my children are learning, safe & cared for. The PTA makes every effort to encourage parents to help the school financially so that we can have music, computer, art, PE coaches and aides as well as other services we would all want for our children but the district does not fund. There is a lot of asking for help, however there is a huge need for financial aid in public schools. I have read some complaints that our principal has an "attitude problem," and that she doesn't handle issues appropriately. This is simply unfounded. She is strict and she is firm. She stands her ground for the sake of the children and the school. She loves the children and deeply cares for their safety and education. I have personally experienced her dealing with serious issues in an appropriate, professional and decisive way for the sake of the children. Sour grapes aside, every school needs a principal who has convictions and the fortitude to carry out the steps needed for to care for the students and the overall state of the school. It's her job and she does it with courage and care, conviction and a deep compassion for each student - who she knows by name.

Posted March 25, 2015
We arrived at Pomelo from a school that would not honor my son's IEP. Our track record with other schools in the Woodland Hills area wasn't that great, so we were worried. The entire staff welcomed my son with a kind and caring outlook. They immediately went to work making sure the stipulations in his IEP were met. From the Principal, to the Assistant Principal to the AMAZING staff in Special Needs Resources, they went ABOVE and BEYOND my expectations. Sometimes I feel like I'm at a private school, the way they genuinely care about these students. My son feels safe and happy, and that is all a parent could ask for. I cannot begin to sing praises loud enough for the Pomelo staff. I simply love this school.

Posted October 20, 2014
It takes a village to raise children properly in this crazy world. I am so glad I have the Pomelo Charter Elementary School village in my corner of the world. In my opinion, this school is home to the L.A.'s greatest parents, teachers, and staff members. The Principal and administrators are caring and helpful. You couldn't find a better village in the San Fernando valley!

Posted August 12, 2014
The BEST school in the Valley! Compared to the personal reviews from friends with children in other schools in the west valley, I thank my lucky stars the my child is at Pomelo. My child has a few special needs, but nothing that the teachers and resource administrators can't handle. The Principal is on the ball! She is everywhere, all the time, going out of her way to ensure that the students are happy. And whenever I have concerns, she and her staff are exceptionally (EXCEPTIONALLY) helpful! It is clear that this school is all about the students, which is the way it should be!
2 people found this helpful

Pomelo Community Charter School 3

Posted February 24, 2014
The school is great but that doesn't help when the principal is horrible. My child got bullied repeatedly and nothing was done about it. I had to go above and beyond and way over her head and up the channels to see anything done about it. Terrible principal. But the teachers are amazing.

Posted September 15, 2013
Pomelo was great my son went there. He is now at Hale 8th grader. I will always remember fondly his 1st grade teacher Mrs. Gilreath and Mr. Berstein who prepared him for middle school. At Hale he got straight A's last year. Thanks again for all the dedicated teachers. Babbett Goss Hope you win the 5,000 you deserve it!

Posted May 16, 2013
Great school, teachers & staff. For our children to have the same opportunities as schools with more money, donations/fundraisers are a key factor to keep music, art, PE, computers, etc. as part of the students curriculum. Team Pomelo/PTA makes every effort in filling the needs of the school where LAUSD can not. As with any school - private or public - there will be conflict on individual levels between parents/faculty/administration/students. Overall, Pomelo has provided an amazing education and social environment for my GATE children.

Pomelo Community Charter School 3

Posted April 19, 2013
I expected a better school, but the principal has an attitude problem. I feel that If you are not the right ethnicity, social demographics and even religion than the majority, don't expect your child to fit in. The PTA is extremely pushy with donations. We all know LAUSD is broke, but no everyone can donate. It does have a beautiful campus, a good music program and academically is an OK school, but definitely over-rated. Parents are very involved and care, but when the leadership is not there, no much you can do.
5 people found this helpful

Pomelo Community Charter School 2

Posted April 17, 2013
I am sure there are worse schools that your child could attend, but this one seems to have slid way downhill from where it was under previous leadership. Very strange dynamic in the school leadership which seems to wage war on some personnel and favor others to an extent that State requirements for classroom teaching are ignored. I think this school has a great legacy, but a very unpromising future. It seems the school is still coasting off of the past outstanding leadership it has enjoyed, not to mention the benefit of pulling from a strongly educated population. Nothing notable is happening there now. This is a C+ school at best.
5 people found this helpful

Pomelo Community Charter School 2

Posted November 05, 2012
I wanted to donate $20 to put up Happy B-day on the Marque as I did last year, and I was told by the PTSA president Elisa Bobrosky that you had to bid on it at the silent auction and it was $100.00. I was told by Elisa my $5, 10, or $20 was not enough. I also spoke with Ms. Gardner and she said it was $100. Wow how sad it's all about money and they would turn away $20.00. I'd rather give it to a charity for NYC!
3 people found this helpful

Pomelo Community Charter School
7633 March Avenue, West Hills, CA  91304
Last modified Pomelo Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pomelo Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 87 reviews. Top