Welby Way Elementary Charter School

Charter | K-5

Living in West Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $440,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,420.

Posted May 12, 2014

This school is just overflowing with school spirit! Last week was a week long "fitness week" at the school. Kids were encouraged to eat healthy and exercise every day. Coaches went above and beyond organizing extra activities from karate studios, cross fit gyms and college athletes visited too. Too much to mention. Kids made class banners supporting their team and points were given for sportsmanship and participation. So thankful to be part of a school that realizes physical activity is important to our kids!!

Posted May 1, 2014

I used to be a teacher and am honestly VERY impressed by what a great principal we have. She really demonstrates servant-leadership. She works tirelessly to help this school get all the funds to put towards what's best. She is very wise, kind, respectful, positive & genuinely caring. People who speak negatively about her probably just didn't get their way with something and are upset. Saying that she is all about test scores means you really don't know her or have gone to any meetings offered to be more informed to make such ignorant comments. She has the utmost respect from her staff which shows a lot. Very positive & kind school environment! There are many fab teachers and some not as fab but that's in EVERY school anywhere. You make the best of it. We have such a dedicated and awesome PTA to help fund so many of the awesome programs/workers this school offers. What makes a school great is the leadership, teachers, parent involvement & curriculum...this is a great school. So grateful to have my kids here.

Posted March 26, 2014

My 15 year old daughter attended Welby Way and I now have twins in 1st grade. We have very much enjoyed our years at Welby and are looking forward to our last few years there. My kids have received the best possible education with caring teachers, strong principle leadership and a very high level of parental involvement. Our PTA (POWW) is second to non and provides our students with a wide range of extra programs through fundraising and a lot of hard work and commitment to the school.

Posted March 25, 2014

My kids have been at welby for a few years and our experience so far has been awesome. The teachers provide a safe and welcoming learning space that really encourages each child to think above and beyond to exceed their potential. The teachers, parent board (all heart and extremely dedicated ) and Principal Yoo are incredibly impressive. It's easy to see that the principal cares passionately about the students and staff and bonus.. Is approachable! School has always been readily available to answer questions I've had. Lots of programs offered, great pe coaches, Library, sweet nurse.... My kids are thriving and love to learn! Thanks welby way!

Posted March 25, 2014

I have been a parent at this school for 10 years. The quality of teachers and staff is excellent and the parental involvement is much greater than other schools. My children, all with different strengths and weaknesses, enjoyed their years at Welby.

Posted March 24, 2014

What a great school! Principal is amazing - hard working and focused on the students. Couldn't be happier. This isn't our local school so we had to apply to get and and its the best decision we've made for our 2 boys. Lots of extra activities and events. Great parent involvement.

Posted February 28, 2014

AN AMAZING SCHOOL WITH SO MANY ACTIVITIES PUSHING KIDS TO AIM FOR EXCELLENCE NOT PERFECTION BUT YOUR BEST

Posted January 28, 2014

Having come from another school, I disagree with the comment about test scores being the main goal. At my other school, assemblies were held to call up the students who were advanced or got a perfect score on the state tests. Banners were up about the score and the principal met with children to set test score goals. Here my daughter said they blew bubbles on the yard and chewed bubble gum on the yard for five minutes to tell the kids to relax and try their best. I came here on a permit. Parents can go to other schools now and not just the one next to their house because all schools seem to have a charter permit application now and you can apply everywhere.

Posted January 28, 2014

I am on my 3rd child at Welby Way and I must say this is a fantastic school. Our first born child attended another elementary school and it is like day and night. The teachers care, all students are challenged, those that need help get it, those that need advanced work get it, the administrative staff is professional and friendly, the grounds are kept looking great, my children feel safe and we have fantastic parental support. I don't think it truly gets much better and to think we are getting all of this at a public school! It will be a sad day when my last child leaves the school.

Posted January 28, 2014

Welby Way has been excellent for my kids! They really do try to meet each kid where they are and challenge them so they find their potential. I love that it isn't all about academics, rather, they focus on being a good citizen, being active and healthy, and being part of a (global) community. Parents are invited to participate, and there is plenty of opportunities for stay-at-home parents and working parents alike.

Posted January 24, 2014

I m sad to say it but I believe Welby has lost its way. The principal is blurring the line between the neighborhood school and the gifted magnet. The school is no longer a place that inspires children to reach higher but rather pushes and pressures them and they feel it all the way down to K and first. The principal s focus is on raising the test scores. In my opinion, when you are at 961 39 points from a perfect score, pushing for more isn t really about providing a good education for children but adult agendas and prestige. I got the feeling my children weren t so much people but potential test scores. First grade there completely squashed my children s natural excitement and curiosity with learning. They did learn, however, that they did not like to read, or do math, or go to school. The pressure had them stressed and burning out at 6. They are at a different school for second grade and once again I have two little boys brimming over with excitement. They love school and can t wait to share all the new things they have learned when they get home. Reading, math, and school is challenging and interesting. Leaving Welby Way was the best move we ever made!

Posted January 24, 2014

Most magnet parents love this school but I think they confuse assigning lots of work with actually teaching on a higher thinking level. However, we actually live here and are stuck with this school. This is not a place that creates a love or joy in learning. It is all about test scores and pressure. Welby Way thinks pushing children really hard and assigning tons of homework (which the parents have to show them how to do) equals educating a child. If this principal had been here when we were buying our house, we would have moved to another school. My children's excitement and curiosity about learning has been completely stifled. I would put them in another school but the district doesn't let you transfer. I had hoped for and expected so much better.

Posted November 28, 2013

Great school, good teachers & Principal. Especially for advanced kids. Moved my child here for second grade after 2 years in another good school, but Welby Way fit much more if your child is ahead in reading & math.

Posted October 3, 2013

Too much hype for this school. Teachers are very rude and partial and do not encourage all the kids evenly.

Posted August 17, 2013

It's difficult to assess Welby Way fairly. It is, in fact, two schools on one campus: a resident school and a gifted/high ability magnet school. You wouldn't know that from the test scores because the two school's scores are blended. And a casual walk around the campus would show resident and magnet classrooms side by side. The reviews here are largely from Magnet parents. Across the board, Welby Magnet parents are happier with the school than are the Resident school parents. That said, if you're child is naturally high achieving, then you will probably like the school a great deal. If your child struggles at all or has an unusual learning style, your experience at Welby is likely to be uneven. My experience was that the teachers and administrators don't have a very effective game plan for bringing the best out of students who don't come labeled "gifted." The principal has also opened the resident school to SAS (gifted and talented) students from other areas further tipping to focus of the school toward kids who would likely bloom wherever planted. I was a very involved parent, and my child was happy there. But if I had to do it all again, I would chose a different school.

Posted July 29, 2013

I have had 2 kids go through Welby Way and it has been a mostly good experience. We magneted in for 2nd grade with both kids, and they did really well. The teachers are hit and miss - most are amazing, 1 or 2 leave a lot to be desired. We got one of these teachers for 3rd grade magnet last year. After listening to her speak at parent night, I asked to have my child transferred to another class to no avail. I asked twice during the year, also to no avail. The Magnet coordinator and Principal wouldn't move my child, insisting there wasn't room in any other class (I noticed several new kids starting in other magnet classes throughout the year. No room, huh?). They assured me that this teacher's test scores were very high, so she must be good. Her test scores are high because she has a bunch of high-acheivers whose parents value education, send their kids for tutoring, and help them constantly. On a happier note, I can't say enough good things about the good teachers and great experiences Welby Way offers such as field trips, science fairs, and special days they have for all grades. Overall a very good school. It's just hard when the staff won't do anything to help your child.

Posted February 7, 2013

Awesome school.. amazing parent involvement.. my son is in the magnet program and loving it. The teachers are so dedicated and make learning fun. Very happy to be part of the Welby community.

Posted October 8, 2012

Amazing school! We applied to just about every good private, magnet, and charter school we could for Kinder, but then we moved to West Hills and ended up at Welby by default. I hadn't toured the school and knew very little about it other than its test scores, so I was nervous. My son is now 1st grade Magnet, and I can say that this is one of the very best schools, public or private, in Los Angeles. The Principal and staff seem to love what they do, and they run a very tight ship. Teachers are dedicated, creative, and overall outstanding. Parent involvement is excellent. Diversity is excellent. It is definitely a rigorous academic environment, which worried me at first because I'm a very touchy-feely person, but I see Welby's high standards paying off in my kid, who LOVES his teachers and is learning like crazy. Welby is truly the best of both private school and public school.

Posted August 3, 2011

Great school and great teachers! Our son is in the Magnet program and we couldn't be happier with the choice that we made to enroll him in this school. Looking forward to 4th grade! :)

Posted June 25, 2011

My son just culminated from the 5th grade magnet program after 4 years of attending the school. The teachers, staff, and parent involvement at Welby Way is outstanding. To attend this school is to be part of a community, and it was the best choice we could have made for our child.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Asian94%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 1076 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents58384%
Students46298%
Employees3146%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

23456 Welby Way