Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Welby Way Elementary Charter School 3

Posted November 09, 2015
My daughter was in Welby Way magnet for 3 years. We're disappointed with the principle, magnet staff and program. My daughter only met 1 good teacher in 3 years. Her 2nd grade teacher let her students play lots of games, art & crafts and writing without teaching basic writing strategies and giving comments. In my opinion, she's better to teach in kindergarten. Her 4th grade teacher didn't have any teaching methods. She just read out the lessons without much explanation. She didn't understand her students' academic performance enough to provide useful assistance. This school seems to be living established reputation from before. The principle and magnet coordinator didn't put much effort on improving their magnet program, but focused on fundraising. The program in this school is not at all challenging for advanced students and nothing different from other regular schools. Some of the magnet teachers don't put effort on teaching or even lack professional knowledge in teaching field . I am wondering what credentials are required to be one of their teachers. My daughter didn't learn much there. We moved our daughter to The Academy for Enriched Sciences for the 5th grade and are very happy with the principle and their staff. The principle is truly a great educator who dedicates much of her time to provide her students a rich learning environment. Her 5th grade teacher is very knowledgable about what she is teaching. She puts a lot of effort toward teaching to ensure all her students who understand concepts and build up foundations for future use. I strongly recommend The Academy for Enriched Sciences if your child is advanced in academics.

Welby Way Elementary Charter School 3

Posted October 27, 2015
We have been at Welby Way for many years. We have had amazing teachers in the Magent Program. All of our teachers have had something great to offer my children. Prior to this school year, I would have said that this is the best elementary school. Unfortunately, this year has not been good. I feel as though my child is doing Independent Study instead of actually being taught by their fifth grade teacher. She might be doing the same assignments as the other classes, but the other teachers discuss the work with the class, whereas her teacher just assigns it as homework. To make matters worse, he rarely goes over the homework. The students are assigned so much homework and projects, that the teacher designates certain school days as "work days". On these "work days" the students just do work on their various projects; no actual instruction or discussion is done. If I wanted my child to do Independent Study, I would home schooled them. If this was our first year at Welby Way, it would also be our last. It is very sad that after so many great years and outstanding teachers, we are leaving the school with such a disappointing one. Her teacher is not a bad teacher, but he should not be an elementary school teacher. He would be much better at middle or high school. My middle school student gets more instruction and discussions than my 5th grader.

Posted May 12, 2014
This school is just overflowing with school spirit! Last week was a week long "fitness week" at the school. Kids were encouraged to eat healthy and exercise every day. Coaches went above and beyond organizing extra activities from karate studios, cross fit gyms and college athletes visited too. Too much to mention. Kids made class banners supporting their team and points were given for sportsmanship and participation. So thankful to be part of a school that realizes physical activity is important to our kids!!

Posted May 01, 2014
I used to be a teacher and am honestly VERY impressed by what a great principal we have. She really demonstrates servant-leadership. She works tirelessly to help this school get all the funds to put towards what's best. She is very wise, kind, respectful, positive & genuinely caring. People who speak negatively about her probably just didn't get their way with something and are upset. Saying that she is all about test scores means you really don't know her or have gone to any meetings offered to be more informed to make such ignorant comments. She has the utmost respect from her staff which shows a lot. Very positive & kind school environment! There are many fab teachers and some not as fab but that's in EVERY school anywhere. You make the best of it. We have such a dedicated and awesome PTA to help fund so many of the awesome programs/workers this school offers. What makes a school great is the leadership, teachers, parent involvement & curriculum...this is a great school. So grateful to have my kids here.

Posted March 26, 2014
My 15 year old daughter attended Welby Way and I now have twins in 1st grade. We have very much enjoyed our years at Welby and are looking forward to our last few years there. My kids have received the best possible education with caring teachers, strong principle leadership and a very high level of parental involvement. Our PTA (POWW) is second to non and provides our students with a wide range of extra programs through fundraising and a lot of hard work and commitment to the school.

Posted March 25, 2014
My kids have been at welby for a few years and our experience so far has been awesome. The teachers provide a safe and welcoming learning space that really encourages each child to think above and beyond to exceed their potential. The teachers, parent board (all heart and extremely dedicated ) and Principal Yoo are incredibly impressive. It's easy to see that the principal cares passionately about the students and staff and bonus.. Is approachable! School has always been readily available to answer questions I've had. Lots of programs offered, great pe coaches, Library, sweet nurse.... My kids are thriving and love to learn! Thanks welby way!

Posted March 25, 2014
I have been a parent at this school for 10 years. The quality of teachers and staff is excellent and the parental involvement is much greater than other schools. My children, all with different strengths and weaknesses, enjoyed their years at Welby.

Posted March 24, 2014
What a great school! Principal is amazing - hard working and focused on the students. Couldn't be happier. This isn't our local school so we had to apply to get and and its the best decision we've made for our 2 boys. Lots of extra activities and events. Great parent involvement.

Posted February 28, 2014
AN AMAZING SCHOOL WITH SO MANY ACTIVITIES PUSHING KIDS TO AIM FOR EXCELLENCE NOT PERFECTION BUT YOUR BEST

Posted January 28, 2014
Having come from another school, I disagree with the comment about test scores being the main goal. At my other school, assemblies were held to call up the students who were advanced or got a perfect score on the state tests. Banners were up about the score and the principal met with children to set test score goals. Here my daughter said they blew bubbles on the yard and chewed bubble gum on the yard for five minutes to tell the kids to relax and try their best. I came here on a permit. Parents can go to other schools now and not just the one next to their house because all schools seem to have a charter permit application now and you can apply everywhere.

Welby Way Elementary Charter School
23456 Welby Way, West Hills, CA  91307-3328
(818) 348-1975
Last modified Welby Way Elementary Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Welby Way Elementary Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 169 reviews. Top