Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted September 02, 2015
The homework is horribly monotonous. Every week, math worksheets, spelling, etc with no variation. Children are burnt out by mid year. So are the parents.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted September 02, 2015
The school is all rules. Tardy, get a slip, rowdy in line, penalty, red cards, kids sent to principal's office too easily for the slightest infractions that could be better resolved in the moment with more capable teachers and or yard supervisors, and Class Dojo to show behavior daily. Not a lot of joy here.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted September 02, 2015
Hopeful for the two new hires, but most of the great teachers have left over the last three years. The teachers do not put much creativity into the implementation of the lessons or the lesson planning. Very LAUSD in the end.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted September 02, 2015
Many teacher have favorite parents, engage in gossip with the parents, and are biased towards their children. Its blatantly obvious, and only those in favor would argue that point. The distribution of favorite parents to "better" teachers is also rather blatant.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted September 02, 2015
There is no development here, only routine and control. The environment is not fair enough for children to develop determination. Rather, they are burnt out.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted September 02, 2015
There is a lot of bratty behavior, and some truly bad children. One child we knew was bullied so badly last year by a known trouble maker that child did not return this year the school. Our child's grade gets smaller every year as families leave for better options.

West Hollywood Elementary School 3

Posted September 02, 2015
I find the school to be very rigid. There is a lot of lining up, many playground rules, and not a lot of good old fashioned being a child allowed, even at recess. This school has a highly charged political environment which can be exhausting to navigate, or even experience from the outside.

West Hollywood Elementary School 5

Posted August 08, 2015
I am going to try to keep this short & simple - I am a former elementary school teacher and an attorney AND I thought I was going to have problems with this school when our first son started there 3 years ago - I was wrong ... My wife & I are thrilled by the quality of education, the safe and loving environment that WHE provides for our sons. I have no ulterior motive for providing this review - if you think there is a better school for your child, "go for it" because only you know what is best for your kid - I am a huge believer in helping people make informed choices so, before you make yours, I would suggest coming in for a tour & seeing it for yourself .. And, take the negative and positive reviews with a grain ( or chunk) of salt as some people are unhappy everywhere they go and some of us have totally drank " the Kool Aid". For instance, I know that a lot of the parents who have written negative reviews have never bothered to pitch in ( which frustrates a lot of us who volunteer often) - criticizing from the sidelines is super easy! In a nutshell, this is a school that has been boosted to another level of excellence through parent-involvement and donations ( at times involved parents can be annoying but, to a person, they are all well-meaning). We raise money so that our kids can have the things we think they need to excel in school/ life. -above & beyond what LAUSD provides ..There are parents who disagree with how the money is spent ( and they usually don't give) but with our amazing new principal the money is being spent to support his vision for the school! Yes, I, along with 99% of every parent/child/teacher at the school wish LAUSD had not cut down trees & I wish we had more green space ( coming in the not too distant future) and that we had unlimited funds so that we were never asked for a dime. However, these issues are small in the context of the high quality of teachers, leadership, parental involvement & safe environment.. So much for keeping it short & simple . - a satisfied parent

West Hollywood Elementary School 2

Posted May 18, 2015
I am starting this week with yet another fundraising request--this time for apple computers. I am not really convinced that this is the best way to spend donated money. If the district wants these kids practicing on expensive apple computers so they can take weeks long standardized test then the district needs to supply them, not us. For all the money we have been asked to donate, I feel short changed. There is no library and no art other than a few weeks of LAUSD provided "arts" which are mediocre at best, and do not go on year long. I am not sure every class even the little art we did at all. We do have a nice singing program and this kids perform twice a year. But not sure where the other money goes. The trees that shaded the playground were cut down and there is not shade on the hot blacktop yard. There is a large play yard but the kids are only allowed to spend recess on the small lower yard because of lack of supervision. This school is not so special. It seems to slip more every year.

West Hollywood Elementary School 1

Posted March 25, 2015
If I could click no stars, I would. There is no library, no computer lab, and below 4th and 5th grades kids have very little access to computers. If I were a prospective parent, I would read the bad reviews posted on the site, because they are done in earnest. You will also notice that they are always buried by a handful of 5 star reviews directly after the honest review is posted. That's the overactive parent group trying to cover up what really happens.

970 North Hammond Street, West Hollywood, CA  90069-4407
Last modified West Hollywood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Hollywood Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 588 reviews. Top