Posted November 04, 2012
My daughter has been at Southport for two years (K & 1st). Both of the teachers have been wonderful! It is refreshing to be able to have a partnership with the teachers and school. I appreciate being able to reach the teacher by phone or email with questions. I involve myself as much as I can with volunteering in her classroom and with the PTO. I don't want to be an armchair parent and say this or that should be done better. Getting involved is the way to make change happen, if it s needed. Involvement also helps me understand why particular decisions are made. I would like to see more science and music programs.

Posted October 31, 2012
Review is in response to the response of the kindergarden teacher who used to teach 5th grade math. Maybe I didn't get my point accross. The problem was not that the teacher moved to another grade but that he obviously did not know how to deal with kids at this age group and did not enjoy teaching. He always seemed stressed and disorganized to the point of being rude to the students. This is not to say that he is a bad person or even a bad teacher but he should have never been allowed to teach such a young age group. I am not an observer but a parent who actually dealt with this teacher. There are some really great teachers at this school but there are also a lot of issues that prevent the school from being a better school, like lack of extracurricular activities, lack of flexibility in teaching.

Posted July 31, 2012
Southport is a great school and has an amazing community of parents, teachers, students and administrators. The quality of teachers is outstanding and they have a really great afterschool YMCA program.

Posted April 11, 2012
My son has been at this school since Kindergarten and is now is 4th grade. His teachers have been excellent so far and the pricipal is wonderful. I love the staff and they really seem to care for all of the students. We are getting more parents involved, but will always welcome more. This school has really grown in the last few years.

Southport Elementary School 4

Posted March 17, 2012
This is our first year at the school and we really love it. Our child is happy and the teacher is amazing. There is a great community of parents teachers and administrators who are dedicated to helping our children grow and succeed. Involvement in the school is the key to any change. My only hope is that more parents get involved in the school and we will see amazing things happen.

Posted November 15, 2011
This is in regard to the kindergarten teacher who use to be a 5th grade. NO where in the review did the parent give review of how the class was doing and how the teacher interact with kids and how he teaches. From what I've seen, his interaction is great with kindergartens.Also, a lot of teachers tend to change grades, till they see a grade that they are best suited for. For the most part, the kindergarten teachers have a good interaction with the kids. It's great for them to welcome parents to volunteer and help out, a good way to see how your child is doing in class. I think there's a mixture of good, structured teachers and really strict, no nonsense teachers. Admin could do better though, and some teachers and admin could improve in personality and being more patient. I've heard some teachers/admin yelling at the students, that is no way to encourage students to learn or inspire them to learn. The motto seems to be if a few kids are in trouble, blame the whole class.

Southport Elementary School 4

Posted July 17, 2011
My son is starting 2nd grade this fall and my younger son is going into kindergarten. I have been very pleased with Southport overall and feel very fortunate to have both my kids attending. The teachers are very caring and understanding and do an excellent job communicating with parents. Southport has made great strides in test scores and meeting the needs of all children. They have managed to keep their budget in check and class sizes down to no more than 20, and that says a lot given the current economic environment. The superintendant has made a huge commitment setting goals to make the district one of the best in the region and each year they are closer to that. My son absolutely loves his school and teachers and my youngest can't wait until school starts!

Posted May 25, 2010
My son has been at Southport since Kindergarten, and I've continuously been disappointed. I agree with the previous poster as the teachers do not seem happy at all, and there seems to be an inconsistency with what "benchmark" expectations are as well. I feel that the standards are set too high, and the district's expectations are unrealistic for each grade level. There is also a serious lack of art, science and history related subjects - how are we supposed to expect out children to think outside the box if a curriculum is so rigid and only set on Math, Reading and Language Arts? Where's the fun in learning for both student and teacher? My son will not be returning to Southport next year because we've moved, but I do hope the school improves. I'll miss alot of the really great parents there.

Southport Elementary School 0

Posted April 16, 2010
They have really good teachers. My grandchildren have went there since they first opened.

Southport Elementary School 2

Posted June 11, 2009
Unfortunately I have found in the last two years the wonderful teachers becoming dissatified and I believe it has nothing to do with the kids, parents, or principal, but with the District itself. They took art and science away from the younger grades. The conversion to K-8 built the grassy field out of the way and mostly unused because of the lack of visual supervision (totally disconnected from the playground). There is no student government. There is no more community feel or school spirit and very little parent participation, which I feel is because it is uninvited. Field trips were cut, the basic drill now is reading and writing and math. Get those high STAR scores, but don't think outside the box or have any fun learning. The plus is that the teachers and staff are still wonderful people they just don't seem very happy.

Southport Elementary School
2747 Linden Road, West Sacramento, CA  95691
Last modified Southport Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southport Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.