Bad
Good

I completely loved my sons TK teacher. Outside of his teacher however I was not found of this school. I had several issues with the office, received several calls asking why my son missed school on days he was present, not receiving information regarding events and difficulties with the limited access for pick ups.

This school is nice, very organized, and has great parent participation. The teachers really care about their students. My children enjoy attending this school tremendously!

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school is very good at teaching the children life skills, & how to handle situations in the correct matter. They teach respect, for yourself, & others. The children are very well mannered at school. They know what is expected from them.

This school is very nice I dont why people say it bad it a really good school

My daughter has been at Southport for two years (K & 1st). Both of the teachers have been wonderful! It is refreshing to be able to have a partnership with the teachers and school. I appreciate being able to reach the teacher by phone or email with questions. I involve myself as much as I can with volunteering in her classroom and with the PTO. I don't want to be an armchair parent and say this or that should be done better. Getting involved is the way to make change happen, if it s needed. Involvement also helps me understand why particular decisions are made. I would like to see more science and music programs.

Review is in response to the response of the kindergarden teacher who used to teach 5th grade math. Maybe I didn't get my point accross. The problem was not that the teacher moved to another grade but that he obviously did not know how to deal with kids at this age group and did not enjoy teaching. He always seemed stressed and disorganized to the point of being rude to the students. This is not to say that he is a bad person or even a bad teacher but he should have never been allowed to teach such a young age group. I am not an observer but a parent who actually dealt with this teacher. There are some really great teachers at this school but there are also a lot of issues that prevent the school from being a better school, like lack of extracurricular activities, lack of flexibility in teaching.

Southport is a great school and has an amazing community of parents, teachers, students and administrators. The quality of teachers is outstanding and they have a really great afterschool YMCA program.

My son has been at this school since Kindergarten and is now is 4th grade. His teachers have been excellent so far and the pricipal is wonderful. I love the staff and they really seem to care for all of the students. We are getting more parents involved, but will always welcome more. This school has really grown in the last few years.

This is our first year at the school and we really love it. Our child is happy and the teacher is amazing. There is a great community of parents teachers and administrators who are dedicated to helping our children grow and succeed. Involvement in the school is the key to any change. My only hope is that more parents get involved in the school and we will see amazing things happen.

This is in regard to the kindergarten teacher who use to be a 5th grade. NO where in the review did the parent give review of how the class was doing and how the teacher interact with kids and how he teaches. From what I've seen, his interaction is great with kindergartens.Also, a lot of teachers tend to change grades, till they see a grade that they are best suited for. For the most part, the kindergarten teachers have a good interaction with the kids. It's great for them to welcome parents to volunteer and help out, a good way to see how your child is doing in class. I think there's a mixture of good, structured teachers and really strict, no nonsense teachers. Admin could do better though, and some teachers and admin could improve in personality and being more patient. I've heard some teachers/admin yelling at the students, that is no way to encourage students to learn or inspire them to learn. The motto seems to be if a few kids are in trouble, blame the whole class.

Last modified Southport Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.