West Sacramento, CA

Posted May 16, 2014
Our experience at OLG had been absolutely wonderful. Our son is a shy kid but at OLG he feels like he is with family. Class sizes are small, the teachers are excellent and parental involvement and school functions are top notch. We only had one issue that I needed to take to the Principle and he handled it right away. We are very happy with OLG.

Our Lady Of Grace 3

Posted July 11, 2013
The diocese is over looking the principal due to past mistakes he has made; however, is he the one reporting to the diocese?? That means they only know what he tells. Some of the teachers are dedicated and are great, and some are stagnate and need to be replaced. Principal DOES NOT deal with issues just talks his way out of things and does nothing. MANY families leaving this year and it is because some of the teachers are inadequate and he still supports them. Get rid of them, mentor them or move on yourself. Stop supporting some because they are your favorites. The good ol boys (and girls) should not exist - if they are good teachers replace them with teachers that actually like kids. All his stupid mistakes and behavior over shadow the good teachers that are there for the students.

Posted December 13, 2012
The parent from 8/17 needs to join us in the 21st century. I'm just browsing schools and I hope that this archaic mentality is not shared by many parents there. I like for my child to visit the library and all, but the days of having to do research in a library are quickly disappearing. Maybe they were just a parent that had to complain about something???

Posted August 27, 2012
OLG is a great community. It is small, safe, secure, and has a loving environment. Parents play a huge role in the success of our school. We teach to the NEW Common Core Standards. (All schools are suppose to be using these standards.) The standards require a wide variety of methods for teaching in order to reach ALL students. By the time our first graders finished school this pass year they were reading at the advanced level. I've heard people comment (NOT the teachers) that our 8th graders here at OLG are still above par. Teachers here at OLG continually strive to teach to all levels of student capabilities using diverse strategies. We treat all students with love and respect. And yes we are keeping up with the technology age.

Our Lady Of Grace 1

Posted August 17, 2012
The review written by the teacher lacks integrity. Most of the curriculum at OLG consists of worksheets. The claim that the library was only dispersed is misleading. The library no longer exists, so students are denied the crucial experience of conducting research in a library. Though technology is also useful, a search on the Internet does not suffice at any grade level. Also, most of the computers in the lab do not function. The claim that students will have computer assessments and a big screen in the classroom does not mean the instruction is adequate. Assessment is measurement of learning, it is not instruction. It concerns me that this teacher is not aware of the difference. The art and music teachers are great, but lack necessary materials, so their curriculum is inadequate. Teachers are fired with little or no notice, which means the faculty and instruction are inconsistent. The most shocking example is when the third grade teacher was fired mid-year in 2011 and the students were not given notice nor allowed to say goodbye to their teacher. My child and several others are not returning this school year.

Posted July 22, 2012
Part two of three part response to 7/8 Post- I use the ISTE standards for technology. My students visit the computer lab 1-2 times per week for instruction. Each classroom is equipt w/ large monitors, so technology can be utilized for instruction in all subject areas, & modeled throughout the day. Now, students in grades 3-8 will be doing online math/ELA assessment every 8 weeks. The assessment will provide immediate feedback for teachers & students & offer online prescriptive support for areas of poor performance.OLG has weekly music instruction for all students. Students learn songs for liturgy, & are provided w/ music history & theory instruction in the intermediate grades. OLG offers weekly music programs for students in 2nd-8th grade who would like to play an instrument. As part of a long term plan, OLG now has an Art room used for Music & Art instruction. Students in 5th -8th grade will continue their weekly art instruction & grades K-4th will have monthly to bimonthly art instruction.

Posted July 22, 2012
In response to post 7/8: Part 1 of 3 This response isn t an attempt to show disrespect to the author of the 7/8 post, but to provide correction. I m a teacher at OLG who has observed in the classrooms. Our curriculum is not strictly worksheets; we re required to use CA & Sacto. Diocesan Standards. I use the direct instruction model & never use worksheets to drive instruction, but to offer practice opportunities. I ve never had parents from other grades observe in my classroom & am unaware of one observing in the other classrooms. I ll provide information I can back with evidence. The library wasn t closed, just dispersed throughout the school into the classrooms. I ve an extensive grade-level library in my room. Students have access to books daily instead of weekly. Now we lose less instructional time back & forth to the library. Moving into the 21st century, many OLG students have e-books & are encouraged to use online resources & the local library.

Our Lady Of Grace 3

Posted July 02, 2012
The parents and teachers make the school great! My kids love OLG! I read the previous reviews regarding the principal & unfortunately most are true. Every year since we started at OLG there have been big problems if handled properly by the principal would have minimized the situations greatly. The feeling amongst most parents is he doesn't care about our school (parents & children) and I believe his actions have reflected that. I now know why he has been a principal at OLG for approx. 6 years. Last yr the diocese hired a superintendent to oversee our principal as well as others. Prior to this there wasn't anyone to report him to with complaints. Parents felt defeated because he was the last person on the higharchy chain of command. Hopefully parents will report him to the superintendent with complaints. As for comments about money, it's true, although it is part of his job responsibility. Problem is he focuses more on the admin work than his principal duties. Teachers have very little contact with him except for those that are his buddies. I would rate OLG 5 because the parents & teachers make OLG great & principal 1 for not fulfilling all of his principal job duties.

Our Lady Of Grace 4

Posted March 13, 2012
Our Lady of Grace is a very good school. It has dedicated teachers who stay after school with students to tutor, they communicate with parents as to how the students are doing, they teach to the standards to assure the students are meeting the state guidelines. I've been apart of this school for 7 years. It's has a small community feeling that I love. The children love their teachers.

Our Lady Of Grace 4

Posted March 13, 2012
If you want your kids to feel like the people around them care about them, this is the school for you. The kindergarten teacher is great. The new staff in the lower wing are excellent. Very dedicated, bend over backwards, willing to go the extra mile to help all of their students. The teachers know their stuff. Couldn't find a better school. I love it here.

Our Lady Of Grace