No rating

Holy Cross College Prep Academy

Private | K-8

Living in West Sacramento

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $117,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Posted January 21, 2013

I can't wait to remove my kid in this school. We decided to put my kid here to have a good education and to know god better. Me and my husband are really disappointed, because every monday the teacher will give her an assignment that she already did a few months ago. The teachers are new that came from different state, it looks like they are just practicing to have their certificate....ok that's fine...but think about it, we are paying for the tuition...it's not FREE-that's why i look for good results. Also, i don't like that the grades are together like for example 1st and 2nd grade are in the same room and 1 teacher. One time, i attended one of their friday mass i was in awe when the principal is the one that gave the homily, not the priest, I told myself what the heck!!! I know their tuition fee is really affordable, but for me i rather pay an extra bucks to give my child a better education. Very disappointed!!!! Doesn't even deserve 1 star..

Posted September 28, 2009

Holy Cross School is one of the best. Things this year are different, but not the teachers and staffs leadership and one on one attention the kids get. The low enroll is a shame, seems some of the parents have forgotten what support your school really means. I have experience with the local public system (WUSD) it is not what our kids should be exposed to. With WSUD if your child falls behind they stay behind.

Posted June 17, 2009

Holy Cross School has been the best! My child had unbelievable one on one attention from the 3rd grade teacher. She was able to change her teaching methods easily to fit each child. I highly disagree with the children being unprepared for 4th grade. Since there was a combined class of 3/4, it added stability for the children to have the same teacher again. Unfortunately, there was a change in leadership which led to low registration, BUT this next year will bring back much of the community to Holy Cross. We all need to show our support now, in order to keep this wonderful school in our community. I am thankful to God that Holy Cross is here.

Posted March 16, 2009

I sent my child to Holy Cross - and from grades K-2, I was EXTREMELY happy. Then, they changed leadership and it all broke down from there. My child's 3rd grade year was awful! A number of parents complained about ineffective teaching methods, rigidity and arrogance shown by some of the teaching staff, and a lack of preparedness in math for the students. Leadership failed to effectively address any of these issues. As a result, many of the children who were transitioning from the 3rd grade were unprepared for the 4th grade did not return (my child included). A decrease in registration resulted in having to combine classes for the following year. We were sad to leave, but it was absolutely necessary. My child tested above their grade level exiting 2nd grade and tested well below their grade level exiting 3rd grade. Completely unacceptable.

Posted October 10, 2007

My daughter is completing her final year at Holy Cross and will be attempting to get into Christian Brother's High School or Saint Francis High School next fall. I have been very pleased with the school and could not image her attending any of the public schools in the area. In some sense, I think the school coddles the children abit more than I would like (but this is a father talking). I also think the school could greatly improve if there was a male teacher available for some of the higher grades.

Posted June 5, 2006

Good small school atmosphere. Ideal low student/teacher ratio. Students will receive sufficient one-on-one instruction. Available choir and band programs. Sports field and Science lab under construction for possible 2006-07 school year use. High level of parent involvement required. Small school with small enrolment numbers and small budget will require parents to volunteer to staff various positions (i.e. yard duty, fundrasing etc.)

Posted July 26, 2005

Holy cross is a great scool with a low student teacher ratio. My child has a tough time learning and the teachers are a great help. The low student teacher ratio allows the teacher extra time with a child who may be struggling. They always encourage and praise the children for a job well done. I always know how my child is doing because the teachers and pricipal take the time to inform me of his progress.

Posted May 19, 2004

Our family has had students at Holy Cross for eight years now. It has been a great school. Low student/teacher ratio. Each child gets the individual attention they need. They learn to respect themselves and everyone else. Parents also make a difference and have a say in their child's education. All administration and staff personel are open minded and friendly on a first name basis. Everyone that attends the school is known by a first name basis. It's a very warm and nurturing environment with strong academic expectations.

Posted May 17, 2004

15o words isn't much space to tell you how pleased we are with Holy Cross. Small classes mean a great deal of attention for each child--no one gets 'lost in the crowd'. The atmosphere has been extremely supportive, and the kids all seem to look out for each other. It is an older school, but as another poster stated, don't let that fool you. You are going to get a terrific education comparable to any other Catholic school in the region.

Posted August 25, 2003

This school is one of West Sacramento's best kept secret. It is an older facility, but don't be fooled by it exterior. There is a great community feeling in this school. There are strong ties between the parish and the school. There are members of this community who have and will continue to do so much for this school! The number of students in each class is approximately 20 students. The matriculation rate into the local private high school (i.e. Christian Brothers High School) is high.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Sacramento