Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

We moved to the area last year specifically to get into this school district. What we didn't know was we were getting the best elementary school we could ever imagine. The teachers are amazing, the parental involvement is nothing I've ever seen! Friends in our old neighborhood are in shock when we tell them how we are encouraged to volunteer even with younger siblings in tow and how we all gather to do the pledge together as a family each morning. Most of them don't get to volunteer and are hardly allowed on campus. Our daughter wears her White Oak shirt with pride anxiously waiting for her chance to be a Lion!!

My child just graduated from White Oak Elementary after spending six years at this wonderful school. I cannot rave enough about our experience here. It was a Leave It to Beaver experience because so many parents walked their kids to school, the kids stayed after school to play at the park with each other, and the parents were involved and all knew each other. My child enjoyed all the extras that make this school special- various plays, simulations of Ellis Island and the Gold Rush, great specialists in all core areas, a talent show, science fair, 1:1 computer technology in the classroom, etc. The new principal is a wonderful addition to the school. Morale is very high with Mr. Anhalt at the helm. Go White Oak Lions! So happy with our local public school and felt I should post after watching my child graduate yesterday!

Great teachers and great community feeling! My son is really enjoying his first year here.

My children transferred to White Oak at the beginning of the school year. They were immediately made to feel welcome by the teachers, the staff, the principal, and their fellow students . The principal and much of the extended staff knew my children s names the first week they attended. I have found the principal to be kind and warm. Academically, I ve been highly impressed with the ability of the teachers to teach to my children s individual needs, as well as the individual needs of the other children in the classroom. The teachers successfully recognize my children s strength and weakness and have used this knowledge to teach them in a manner that has brought out the best in them. I have seen a shift in confidence in my children academically that I credit White Oak Elementary. I am thrilled with and extremely thankful for our experience thus far.

White Oak is a phenomenal school! I have three kids there and are so happy with the education they are receiving. The teachers are truly exceptional. They go above and beyond just the traditional classroom teaching. For example, students participate in various grade level performances/events where they not only learn about history/social studies but they have fun doing it! Clearly the person who posted earlier has not seen that while White Oak API scores were already consistently high, last year they sky rocketed even higher! In my opinion, the similar school rating is a meaningless comparison when the schools being compared to are all over 900 API. As for the donation, I am more than happy to pay as it pays for our children to attend specialist classes such as art, music, PE, computers and library with qualified teachers not parent volunteers. It pays for Smart Boards and iPads for the classrooms and even pays for extra campus supervision. We are fortunate that we have so many generous parents making this possible for our children. My children are treated with kindness & respect and as individuals by all teachers and faculty. White Oak really is a special school and we LOVE it!

Run, don't walk, away from this school. Look at its "Similar Schools Ranking" for 2012--1 out of a possible 10! That is the pathetic score that I would expect from this school. The teachers sleepwalk through the day giving the same assignments year after year. There is no accountability. Student test scores show little if any improvement, and the teachers either don't know or don't care. The principal is cold, uninvolved and seems constantly exhausted. She has no rapport with children. The final indignity is the fact that the school asks for a large annual donation which they proceed to waste on art, music and gym instruction by staff who love their paychecks, but hate to actually teach their subject. Overall, the mantra of White Oak is "avoid dealing with children as individuals at any cost."

White Oak Elementary in Westlake Village, Ca. Across the board, this elementary school is by far the best school I have ever seen. The office staff, teachers, librarian, are over the top. They are all so well seasoned whether the issue is security, special students or simply feeling lost as a parent. Really exceptional.

I am one of the people that wrote a negative review a few years ago and I am pleased to observe some positve changes at White Oak: 1) The new principal is visible, motivated, and approachable. 2) The cliquey crew has little or no power over important decisions that effect our childrens' lives. 3) Some of the teachers have retired and new and promising replacements have arrived. My child's KG teacher is outstanding; nurturing, effective, and organized. Yahoooo! Go White Oak.! I am very optimistic.

I couldn't agree more with the last review! Go White Oak! My daughter loves the sense of community at the school. She enjoys singing the school song every friday in the courtyard. Her teacher is amazing and has gotten those children to a place that I'm not confident many teachers can! We are blessed with an amazing gym teacher, as well as art, music, computer and library. The children love the staff! I wouldn't send my children anywhere else.

Don't listen to these negative comments and reviews! White Oak is a great, clean school and our first grader is SO happy here. We are impressed with the fact that he tested into the highest reading group in his class, therefore receives differentiated language arts instruction that is appropriate and challenges him. The school is located in a beautiful, safe neighborhood surrounded by a lovely greenbelt. We are GLAD that our son's school isn't surrounded by fences and gates; it's a school, not a prison! The sense of community here is tremendous. We moved from a nearby city and were welcomed with open arms by the dedicated staff and wonderful families. Miss Valerie in the office is warm and knowledgeable and the staff members seem to know all the kids' names! We feel like our son is treated and respected as a valuable student. He loves waking up and going to school, playing with his friends and even doing homework. Go White Oak!

Last modified White Oak Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.