No rating

Carden Whittier Private School

Private | K-8 | 254 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Whittier

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $307,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,510.

Posted April 24, 2014

Parents: Do your homework. Please tour other schools before making your decision. Don t be fooled by the uniforms and the fancy spelling tests. Don t confuse values (like those you teach at home) with education. The school is a privately owned for profit school. The owners distance themselves through an administrator. A former teacher sued the school. The school lost a jury trial and then filed bankruptcy. The owners risked the livelihood of their staff and the future of the children s education. At Carden, it is not your child who comes first, but the owners pocketbooks.

Posted February 8, 2014

This school is amazing! In my years there I loved it! The teachers are amazing, nice, but can be strict but I believe that's good. They teach well and will teach the standards of a well brought up child! If you have the chance to send your child to Carden take! I went there for 12 years an loved every second of it!!! The best school ever

Posted October 26, 2013

Don't belive the fake reviews written by die-hards, or teachers who send their kids here for free, at other students' expense. ... Some bad apples here (teachers and administrator) give this otherwise ok school a bad name ... shame ...

Posted September 14, 2013

Carden is a great school that will help teach your child respect and discipline. My children have attended Carden since preschool and I was noticing the other day how well mannered my daughter is when it comes to other people. If she accidentally bumps into someone or is trying to go around someone, she always says excuse me and thank you. I know that her manners have come from school. They are taught to respect teachers and other adults. Rudeness is not tolerated. At a time where manners are being forgotten, it's nice to know that Carden still makes this an important part of their teaching. If you come for a tour of the school, you will definitely see a difference in Carden students. As far as the new hiring of several new under qualified teachers, 3 new qualified teachers have been hired over the past 2 years, the other teachers have been there for more than 10,20, some almost 30 years. It is a great school with a lot to offer. My children have all loved Carden.

Posted September 12, 2013

This school is a hidden gem in Whittier. Carden is a private school with extremely small class sizes, old-fashioned values and curriculum, and high standards for academic achievement. Children learn the basics and are at least one year ahead of their counterparts in public school. My children have been there for 4 years now and I wouldn't put them anywhere else. The teachers are extremely dedicated and committed to excellence. My daughter's CAT scores this year prove that she is head and shoulders above other students in the country, and I have Carden and it's teachers to thank for this!

Posted September 11, 2013

It makes me sad to see how people can be able to post some of these posts! I think this school is amazing! The teacher's are there for only two reasons....they believe in the method and their love for each and every child! I think the best schools are the ones that have their teachers there because they believe in the school! They will be here tjrough thick and thin! That is what makes Carden so special! My advice to people looking into schools is to go and make an appointment at each school....I think then you can make an better decision for you and your child! There are many parewho love and support this school. They teach morals, values, respect & indepence! If I had the opportunity to do it all over again...I wouldn't change a thing!

Posted September 11, 2013

My children love this school. It's amazing seeing the 7th and 8th graders playing with the nursery and preschoolers! My children know just about everyone there at school. This school has become my children's 2nd family. The teachers are great! The curriculum is amazing. I appreciate the values this school holds. I always get compliments on how well behaved and well mannered my children are everywhere we go! I do my best to teach my children....but they would not be who they are today if it wasn't for Carden! I thank each and every one of the teachers and staff for having such a positive impact on my children's life!

Posted September 2, 2013

This school is basically run by one woman who owns it completely, but hides behind a clerk title and remote controls the school's former PE teacher as the principal. Some teachers are "un-educated" and many are un-accredited. My kid is smarter and better mannered than most "un-educated" teachers here. Judging from the advertising sounding reviews with 5 stars attached to it, it appears that some parents and teachers are getting a discount on their tuition from "Mrs. Simms" of the "Little House On the Prairie" school ... Ask around and find out for yourself why many parents have been pulling their kids out of this school recently. ... Go figure ...

Posted September 2, 2013

This school is definitely on its way down. The owner does not care to know why some parents are pulling their children. Most of the old-timer teachers, 15+ years, are very good teachers. However, for whatever the reason (probably profit motivated), the school has decided to hire many under-qualified teachers who would never be allowed to teach in public schools. Many relatively newer teachers seem un-educated, un-qualified, and un-bearable. Some teachers are passive-aggressively rude to some parents and children; if you don't speak perfect English as a parent, don't sent your kids here, as you will be treated with disrespect, though parents are the ones paying the teacher's salary. I was not feeling all that comfortable at this school as spurts of exodus of students was happening; I inquired, then I also decided to pull my kids. This school emphasizes discipline, but the children are already more disciplined, and smarter, than some of its under-educated teachers and the administrator that give this school a bad name. I would give this school a minus star if I could.

Posted July 11, 2013

I have had 2 children graduate Carden, and 1 that still attends Carden. During graduation, the high school that the children are going to attend are announced. Most have been admitted to their high school'sIB program or tech program. The others have been admitted into the honors program. My son attended high school with boy who attended another private school in the area and my son was much more prepared for high school than the other boy. As far as parent involvement is concerned, you can be as involved as you want to be. There are fundraising committees that can be joined, volunteer for class parties, help coach sports teams, just to name a few. I have found that most parents do not have time to spend extra time volunteering and appreciate that it is not required. All three of my children have enjoyed and excelled at Carden.

Posted July 11, 2013

I have three boys currently attending Carden. I absolutely love the tradition, respect and self-control the Carden Method teaches. They are learning basic respect of others, social values, morals and ethics, and tradition. They don't have to fight for their teachers attention with small class sizes and they are kept in a sort of "bubble" of innocence until 8th grade...now that is priceless to me!

Posted July 11, 2013

I have 3 kids at Carden, my oldest will be in 7th grade in the fall. He has been at Carden since 3 years old with Mrs. Murrell, what a fantastic teacher! We fell in love with the school from the very beginning. The teachers are so caring, and they are truly able to pull from the child's strengths. I was at first very impressed with traditions that the school is based upon and the Carden Method. I have come to realize in speaking with parents from other schools, that children at Carden are 1 grade level ahead. I feel very blessed to have found Carden.

Posted January 3, 2013

I was saddened to read the negative reviews from July and Oct '12 on this site for Carden of Whittier. I have two children at Carden and believe that it rivals some of the best schools in Pasadena at a fraction of the cost. Aesthetics aside, the school is in great condition. I appreciate the fact that fundraising is kept to one event (casino night) each year and that event is voluntary. However, many parents meet one another at this event and it is one of the best ways to get to the schoolkid's parents. I also appreciate the intelligence and caring nature of all of the teacher's. They are always available. Myself and my kid's have not experienced any disrespect, bullying, or taunting unlike public schools. Last, the administrators are continually upgrading the school, as is evident by the investment in the school auditorium sound and lighting and the state of the art computer room. Maybe those posts will have a change of heart after experiencing the public school system.

Posted December 15, 2012

My son is completing his 10th year at Carden School and I am very satisfied with the quality of education, respect, structure and discipline that Carden School has to offer. Carden School has been an extension of the morals, values and respect that he has been raised with at home. As a single parent, I greatly appreciate all that Carden School staff has done for my son. Every teacher that my son has had has been very helpful and has made themselves available if I have had any concerns and/or questions.

Posted December 10, 2012

I am a California credentialed public school teacher who has taught at Carden School in Whittier for 25 years. I previously taught in public school for seven years. The Carden method is excellent and superior. The students are highly motivated and love to learn in the structured and disciplined environment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 17, 2012

This school is clearly OVER RATED it does not work on the whole child it works on the whole wallet. Teachers are not even higher educated you will get a much better education at the local public school.

Posted June 27, 2012

Our daughter has just completed her 8th year at Carden Whittier school. The learning environment there is outstanding for several reasons.First, the Carden method is superior. The teachers truly care about each and every student.They are disciplined, structured and proof that education credentials are irrelevant.The school director has taught every grade at Carden and has brought her daughter and grand daughter through Carden.This is personal to her and it shows.Finally the parents of Carden students,are involved and deeply invested in their children's education evidenced by their overwhelming attendance to school activities and functions.The tuition we have paid to Carden has been the best investment we have ever made!

Posted June 26, 2012

The teacher quality varies but because of small classroom size students do well. The administration/ownership is inadequate, under educated without a college degree , hypocritical and greedy. Equipping of classrooms is minimal. The library is a mere closet with dusty, out of date, forty year old books. Legal problems involving discrimination and at least one large ($350,000 plus) civil judgement against the school jeopardize the quality of education. The campus is safe compared to public school. Children are expected to show respect or adults although the administration respect for the students varies. Favoritism and nepotism abound. Despite the leadership the teachers do OK and the students do well.

Posted May 17, 2012

My 2 children both went to Carden and had a wonderful experience. They were top of their class in high school because of how well Carden prepared them! Their teachers were excellent, caring, and well prepared. I recommend this school to everybody.

Posted March 2, 2012

Extremely Satisfied with Carden School. My daughter has attended Carden for 8 years. Carden has consistently provided a comprehensive and caring academic environment. We are so happy with Carden School.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Latin
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mrs. Anita Raver
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11537 Grovedale Drive