Evergreen Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 500 students

Posted October 4, 2013

My son is a First grader this year and the involvement the teachers have with the students is AMAZING!!!! The teachers go above and beyond to help with any concerns I might have about my son. The principal as well plays a great part in the great staff they have at Evergreen.I am proud to be a part of this school. Just wished I would see more parent involvement with all the activities and meetings Evergreen has.

Posted September 23, 2013

I attended Evergreen Elementary and loved it. My daughter is now in 2nd grade at Evergreen, and could say the same. Ms. Barrios and Mrs. Holmes are GREAT teachers. This year she's in Ms.Roberton / Mrs.Anaya class and she loves it. I can't believe that Mrs.Tavitian knows every students name, as you could see I love Evergreen Elementary, and don't understand the negative comments people. We as parents need to help our kids, don't sit and wait for teachers to do all the work. Communicating with our kids teacher's helps alot.

Posted September 20, 2013

I'm glad I took my son out of this school. They only have about two teachers that care, the rest are only there to collect a check. I still don't know why they have not fired Mr. Chacon worst teacher ever allows kids to be bullied. Ms. Tavitian is a nice lady but clueless. My sons new school is amazing you can feel and feed off of the positive energy the Teachers and Staff put out. A feeling never felt at Evergreen, my son is much happier now and no longer fears for bullies as there are nine at his new school.

Posted August 30, 2013

I love Evergreen for being a college bound model school. Mr. Chacon really brought out the best in my daughter in 1st grade. As for my other daughter, Ms. Almaraz and the other 4th grade teachers did an amazing job getting my daughter prepared for her CST exams and offering help that she needed. Mrs. Tavitian is an incredible principal that cares about her staff and students. My daughters and I look forward to another great school year at Evergreen. Go dragons!

Posted March 31, 2012

Unsatisfied. The staff are not that friendly. When trying to resolve an issue, the principal tends to turn blame (blame that has nothing to do with the initial issue) onto the parent or student. I read a few reviews that mention their kids come home confused about homework. Yep, I have that issue too. They don't have many activities that include the family. It just doesn't have a community/family feel. I'm actually in the process of transferring my child to another school.

Posted November 4, 2010

I am an alumni of Evergreen Elementary (currently hold my BA & am working on my credentials) & i am very happy to say that they were a great, welcoming school and have made great progress. My younger sister graduated from everygreen & now attends East Whittier Middle School. She is doing great, A/B student, thanks to the great foundation her teachers created at Evergreen. Both of my nieces are currently attending Evergreen & they are also doing GREAT & loving school & their teachers. Thanks to all the friendly, helpful staff. I highly recommend you become part of the DRAGON family, and remember that you as parents are the first and best teachers your child can have.

Posted August 8, 2010

My child just graduated from Evergreen. He had a great experience. The teachers and principal are wonderful. Absolutely love this school!

Posted March 2, 2010

My son is 9yrs old with ADHD. My sons teacher is very good with him, but if he has to go to the office because of his acting out due to his ADHD. The principal is very uneducated on how to handle children with disabilities. If any child is a slight problem she wants to ship them out to other schools. I'm very unsatisfied with this school.

Posted October 5, 2009

I am a happy parent for this school, has a good principal than worries for the well being of the students.

Posted October 2, 2009

Evergreen has come along the past couple of years, my daughter is now in 5th grade and their API has increased tremendously. Mrs. Tavitian has been incredible her spirit, and compassion for students is amazing. And the teachers my daughter has experienced have been great. Including the wonderful Mrs. Webb who no longer is with us physically but is always in our minds and heart. She taught me a few lessons aswell. Words cannot describe her. Mrs Tavitian is unbelievable again I cannot commend her enough for the turn around at Evergreen. I was even ready to change schools. I thank God I did not, with Mrs. Tavitain's advice I decided to keep Mariah there. She even has taken the time to call our family personally to encourage, and keep us updated on our daughter's progress (positive progress). So, I am very happy and thankful parent at Evergreen.

Posted November 21, 2008

My daughter attended Evergreen during her third grade year in 2005. I was not very happy with the progress my daughter was making at this school. She was forever coming home with homework in wich she just did'nt understand. I spent long nights helping my daughter with her homework .I must also mention the mass cases of lice in this school. I had never experienced at any other school my daughter attended. I became very frustrated and transferred my daughter to Ocean view elementary. I can't even begin to tell you what a difference that made. My daughter received an award at the end of the year for most improvement on the state test. My daughter now attends East Whittier and I feel had I not made the move my daughter would not be the straight A student she is today.

Posted June 4, 2008

My daughter is graduating this year, and she graduates top of her class, reading at 10th grade level. There was an issue of not having books at her reading level, but when I called the school, her teacher and principal were working on getting her books, and they did, in a timely matter. The GATE program has a wonderful teacher, and there expectations are high. I feared my daughter would not be challanged enough and I am happy to report I was wrong. My daughter is graduating with a great foundation for her future.

Posted June 1, 2006

My daughter attended Evergreen from level 1-5, she is now getting ready to start middle shool and, I believe, she is not prepared. Evergreen lacks in parent-teacher communication. My daughter came home many times not understanding how to do her homework. Homework handounts never had an example for her to work off of, leaving me to sit down for hours of trying to explain the homework and becomming frustrated when she did not 'get it.' I am not a teacher and I do not have the skills to explain math, or english or science in a way that she will understand and remember. I think because the student body is primarly hispanic with parents who only speak spanish, they have my same problem at home trying to help with homework. I think teachers also expect too much from our kids without giving that extra needed help.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students62%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Computer lab