La Colima Elementary School 2

Posted October 23, 2014
I have encountered a mix of experiences here, but nothing stood out as much as the demeanor of a teacher a few weeks back. It shocked me to have witnessed a teacher approach a parent yelling, literally yelling, when the individual was simply standing with the rest of us parents waiting for our children to be released. It was so disrespectful and unprofessional, and to treat someone that way in front of children?! Simply mind blowing. If this occurs outside in front of everyone, I can only imagine what she displays in her classroom to our children.

Posted September 30, 2014
I absolutely love La Colima. So much that I'm shocked at what some of the others have stated. I feel that there will always be the "dramatic" parent to post something negative no matter where you go. The teachers, the activities, and the involvement are beyond up to par and my children are the happiest they've ever been with their friends and teachers. Way to go La Colima Owls!!!

La Colima Elementary School 1

Posted September 25, 2014
very disappointed with this school my son has high functioning autism and none of the teachers or staff are qualified to care for him going to change his school they never had a behavioral plan for him in his IEP i have been told by the state board that i can open up a case for failing to properly help my child so over all the drama the teachers and staff create, its as if there job is to gossip with each other and forget that they are there to help our children so sad i would not recommend this school to anybody and i live on the same street as this school i would not even give them 1 star

Posted August 15, 2014
After reading the lasted post by a parent dated June 18, 2014, I feel sad. I feel sad that this parent and child have had such a bad experience. This is my second year at La Colima as a parent and I have to say I have had such a great experience and such great communication with my children's teachers. I commend the Principal for her hard work and I have seen her first hand put the children first. Yes, although the scoring has dropped tremendously, I know that the Principal, teachers/staff are working hard to help turn that around. Standards have been changed in the last two years so that has had an impact as well. Sometimes due to budget cuts, teaches have been replaced and other elements which are out of their control. I am willing to be patient and work WITH my children's teachers to ensure my children get the best education. It takes a team to make everything work, whether at home, school or work.

La Colima Elementary School 1

Posted June 18, 2014
It seems as though the level of quality has down spiraled since the last reviews. I have yet to experience a high level of satisfaction from La Colima. My child has attended 3 school years here and none of the teachers have come close to providing the level of education that a child deserves. We have had everything from a student substitute becoming a permanent teacher for the remainder of the school year and not having a clue of how to manage a classroom, a 5th grade teacher newly teaching 1st grade and having constant outbursts at the 6 & 7 year olds, a teacher who picked on my child the entire school year in numerous ways making the schools year dreadful for both parent and child, and a principal who does nothing when parental concerns are expressed. My advice to parents is, if your child is expressing a teacher being untrue about a given situation; get to the bottom of it. Based on personal experience, I witnessed the teacher lying numerous times and contradicting her word. I cannot express how disillusioned I am of this school and the staff that we as parents, trust with our children.

Posted January 13, 2014
This school is great! it has a good study envinronment with teachers, principal and staff being friendly and they're focus on the best they can do for the community.

Posted October 19, 2010
I attended La Colima 45 years ago, and it makes me smile to see the same positive attitudes that affected me years ago are still in place there. I recall caring teachers, kind yet firm staff, and overall a very positive experience. I sincerely hope that in decades to come, today's students will feel the same nostalgia I still do for the little school that left me with a love of learning and a certainty that the people there helped me find my way to college and beyond. --Paula Robinson, Cincinnati, OH

La Colima Elementary School 0

Posted July 02, 2009
I think it is a awsome school. The staff has helped my son with ADD and he has thrived so much.

Posted October 27, 2008
I have been an involved parent at La Colima since 2004. I can honestly say this school far surpassed my expectations and it better served my 2 children educationally then previous private schools ever did. The principal and teachers are very involved with the success of each student, and every year they constantly strive to make things better. The PTA is very active making this an excellent school for any child and parent to be involved in. This is my daughters last year here, and I will miss all friendly faces of staff and parents alike. There is no perfect school, but as an involved parent, I know that this school is a step above the rest! Dyan Robles

La Colima Elementary School 3

Posted October 21, 2008
Inconsistent CA standards; school readily accomadate students--for a brief period--then the whole process starts again--exhausting for a parent with a child with special needs--I couldn't ever just trust week-week that his IEP would be followed

La Colima Elementary School
11225 Miller Road, Whittier, CA  90604
Last modified La Colima Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
La Colima Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top