Leffingwell Elementary School 3

Posted November 23, 2014
My son attends a really good school, but could be better. Leffingwell Elementary is our neighborhood school. My 7 year old and I walk to and from school every day. We notice very few parents walk to school, even though many are just as near to the school as we are. I teach my son the importance of exercise and walking is one of the best and easiest ways to get exercise. We can't say many East Whittier neighbors share our enthusiasm for fresh air and walking. If young children learn this important part of daily exercise, we would have cleaner air and a better school. My son and I were nearly run over by a speeding motorist on our way to school one morning, a driver had run the red light at the crosswalk in front of the library. I believe a crossing guard is needed and walking to school should be encouraged. I think the speed limits in school zones should be lowered to 15 mph,and strictly enforced.

Posted August 07, 2014
Most of the teachers are great, great curriculum, awesome extracurricular activities, and learning is fun at Leffingwell. But besides those positive points the school is lacking in a big way in other areas. We all have our own personal experience and point of views. With that being said I agree 100% with a previous post from another parent commenting in regards to a clique type of atmosphere at Leffingwell. I always wondered why everyone seems to know each other and you always see the same children month after month being the student of the month or a lead in a extracurricular activity. I have tried to get involved with the school and if your not part of this cliche you are made to feel like an outsider. There is also a huge problem with permits, half of the kids that attend are on permits.

Posted April 22, 2014
I am a parent of three children and all gave attended Leffingwell elementary school. My youngest is now in 1st grade. First, I whole heartedly diagree with the negative parent comments posted. My children have thrived at this school. The school creates a fun environment as well as a strong academic base. I have never my child has been left out or not received awards that he/she has earned. Leffingwell is a "gem" of a school and has a lot f parent participation. I feel this is a good thing for any school. A parent who is actively involved in their child's life and schooling. I have felt no religious pressure or aspect while my children have been at Leffingwell. This is one of the best schools in the district and many parents want their child to attend. Such as my sister, who is a doctor. She was going to send her child to a private school but decided instead on sending her child to Leffingwell. She and her daughter love this school, just like I do. There are children on permit who attend this school, such as my sister. However, most children live jn the area, just like me. This is a fantastic school!

Posted August 23, 2013
My daughter just started the third grade and with her being my oldest, I don't have anything for comparison, but I love Leffingwell Elementary school. All of her teachers have been great. I love all the various themed days they have throughout the year, which I think helps keep going to school fun. My youngest starts Kindergarten next year and I'm looking forward to having both my children attending Leffingwell.

Posted May 17, 2013
I felt I needed to post this as my son has been doing so good and received 100% on his spelling test today. My son has a learning disability and Dr. Blackwell, his teacher, as well as the rest of the staff involved with helping my son have been great. During our last IEP, all goals were met and my son is on track with surpassing his current goals. This school is not overrated and it's a shame when a parent adds a negative post that does not reflect the majority. The school may seem cliquey because there is SO much parent involvement. BYW, I live in the area and are not on permit.

Posted May 10, 2013
After researching several local schools, we purchased our house close to Leffingwell so that we could be sure our kids would receive an education from Leffingwell's incredible teachers and staff/leadership. Leffingwell offers extremely high academic standards with several additional programs that nurture the arts. In addition the staff models and encourages interaction among all students regardless of differences in background or level of need. This school reminds me of the way education used to be, with teachers going above and beyond and encouraging children's growth in all areas, not just academics.

Posted May 01, 2013
This is the most nepotistic school that I have ever encountered. Most teachers and staff get their relatives jobs at the school and if their relatives attend the school then you better believe their relatives are the children getting all the awards regardless of bad behavior. The staffs children are always being featured and favored. It's such cliquey school too! If you are different in any way good luck! You will not fit in if you are anything other than Christian. Most of the staff including the principal are involved with 2 well known churches in this area and if you go to one of them then maybe you can be apart of the clique. But what's funny is the children of the parents who are most involved with those churches are some of the brattiest children. This school is also allowing a lot more children on permits and many of the students are already on permits including most of the staffs children. They are trying to save the jobs of teachers in the clique by allowing all these permits. The permit students often fill the classrooms of the preferred teachers while children who live in the area are stuck with sub par teachers. This school is very overrated and not diverse at all!

Posted October 09, 2011
If you think the only way your child can get a great education is in a private school.....boy are you sadly mistaken, and most likely never visited Leffingwell Elementary. The teachers are top notch and the principal is very dedicated to the school. If your planning to get your kid enrolled in this school you better not wait, the waiting list can get filled pretty quick and its well worth the wait. The teachers are very hands on and carry a relationship with the kids more than just a typical student teacher relationship. My daughter loves her school and always comes home with great stories and smiling from her days activities. Make sure to meet Dr. Blackwell (principal) from your first visit with him you get a great sense of his dedication to the school, teachers and most importantly the kids! The other great thing about this school are the parents....we all have the same objective in mind and we are all very involved in our children's education.

Posted April 20, 2011
A public school, K-5 with a private school education! Hooray, the naysayers think that it can't be done. They should just visit Leffingwell.What a staff: nurturing teachers who still know that a kid's education has to have some fun in it, great principal and warm, caring office staff. Extra curricular activites offer a child a well rounded experience.

Posted May 05, 2010
LOVE this school! Great teachers, great principle, great programs. We couldn't be happier.

Leffingwell Elementary School
10625 South Santa Gertrudes, Whittier, CA  90603
Last modified Leffingwell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Leffingwell Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top