Howard J. Mckibben Elementary School 3

Posted August 02, 2013
This school is good, but I feel that it could be alot better. There are so many things that they can be doing to get the parents to get involved with the school. Unfortunately, I dont see the enthusiasm that's needed to attract the parents involvement. Also, they should have teachers aids, some times the teacher struggle because they have over 35 students per classroom and no one to help them with the kids. The school has a lot of potential, hopefully things get better for the children's sake.

Posted May 16, 2013
This school has gone down the drain since Mr. Alarcon the principal started. Not to mention how he just brushes the real problems to the side. This school at one point and time was a good school back when my other two children attended there. And the afterschool program they have (think together) is soooo unorganized. They never know where ur child is. When picking them up they could never find them, you have to search every room!!!.. And the school teachers their r so ignorant!.. They talk down to the students and belittle them in front of everyone!.. This school is a horrible school starting with the pricipal.

Posted April 15, 2013
This school is such a dissapointment to my childrens education. I have too many negative things to say and don't even get me started on the principal.

Posted April 28, 2010
McKibben is doing a fantastic job of educating it students! Teachers truly care about the students and the new principal is great!. He has brought a new and exciting energy to this school that was definitely needed. He cares about the students' success and has offered them many enrichment opportunities such as Student Council and the Reading Olympics. He supports the teachers and listens to the parents' concerns! Due to outrageous budget cuts in California,there are many challenges that face our school which include overcrowded classrooms, not enough para-support for classroom teachers, lack of enrichment programs for students, and the pressure to meet increased testing standards. These factors make being a public school teacher extremely demanding! Unfortunately, many parents continue to blame the classroom teacher, and fail to see that what is needed is the support of the parents. Parents need to be advocates for the teachers!

Howard J. Mckibben Elementary School 0

Posted April 22, 2010
I am so disappointed with the 1st grade eduction. My daughter started with McKibben in kindergarten and it was an amazing year. I was looking forward for another amazing year in 1st grade but sad to say that is not what happen. My daughter informed me that her teacher does not really speak to her because she has to speak to the other kids that need more help. I do not leave the full responsibilty of teaching to the school, I also work with my daughter on a daily basis but I would also like for the teacher to put some attention to my child. I would love for my daughter to stay at McKibben but I am not willing to risk another bad year. My family moved to whittier for better schooling for my daughter but its so sad to say that we had a bad year.

Howard J. Mckibben Elementary School 0

Posted April 16, 2010
This year has been very rewarding for our family. We have found the teachers and staff to be very caring and helpful and willing to help our children in many ways. We just had a family movie night where our family was able to come and enjoy spending time with each other and with friends, The new principal is wonderful and started a Reading Olympics to reward our kids for reading. Our children have learned so much this year. We are very pleased with McKibben.

Posted April 14, 2010
I am very disappointed with this school. My child's Kindergarten teacher was fantastic, but in 1st grade my child has been all but ignored. My child is not learning there. Most of what has been learned has been at home and from extracurricular lessons and activites. There is also the issue of classroom rotation to accomodate Spanish-speaking children. I am outraged by the way things have been handled here. My family has been paying taxes in this district for decades and there is absolutely no reason why my child should not have been able to receive a decent education here. The individual test scores are appalling; truly frightening. We will not be returning to McKibben next year. Let your child attend Kindergarten here, but then quickly get them out.

Posted June 18, 2009

Posted May 20, 2008
This is a wonderful school. It is the best in the district. It has the best test scores. It is a fairly small school with class size reduction in k-3 grades. The school had huge improvements made a few years ago with modernization of classroom and restroom. I wonder where the person who said the school needs many improvements and is overpopulated is getting this information. I wish there was more of an explanation. Of course, childrens' experiences also depend on what our children and we as parents put into it.

Posted February 21, 2008

Howard J. Mckibben Elementary School
10550 Mills Avenue, Whittier, CA  90604
Last modified Howard J. Mckibben Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Howard J. Mckibben Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top