Bad
Good

Posted March 23, 2015
This is one horrible school to put any child in. How this school has a 3 star rating amazes me!!! The on going bullying and fighting that goes on here is disgusting! When you drop your child off at school you should think it's a safe place but it's far from it here at this school. They know of certain bully's that attend their school yet do not expell them or drop them from their school. It seems as if they are ok with this on going bad behavior. I had an issue regarding certain 7th grade girls bullying my daughter. When I spoke with the councilor she already knew who these girls were! Really!!! I also let her know about the whole gang recruiting thing that was being done and for some crazy reason these girls are still attending this school! Another occasion occured as I'm pulling up to pick my daughter up from school I see a huge crowd gathering at the park. Of course boys fighting while the crossing guard does absolutely nothing about it! Doesn't even bother to call the Principal or the authorities! This school by far is a thumbs down for me and my Child will NOT be attending 8th grade next year!!! So disappointed!! Your district and school should be ashamed!!!

Walter F. Dexter Middle School 2

Posted January 25, 2015
The hostile work environment has caused too many great teachers to leave this school. The constant turnover has created inconsistent policies and a lack of true committment among the staff. The leadership is sadly lacking with bullying and intimidation her signature style. I too am surprised and saddened that the district has done nothing to remedy the situation.

Posted September 04, 2014
Dexter is a school committed to the success of our students. We have highly trained and caring staff members that focus on getting all students ready to meet their goals for high school, college, and career. It is disappointing to see colleagues post their displeasure about Dexter's leaders. I do not at all share their opinion. The leadership at Dexter has made many needed changes and implemented very positive programs. I would like to remind them that is a public forum and a totally inappropriate place to air their personal issues, and I'm very surprised that any of my colleagues would do such a thing. Dexter IS a great school for students to attend and for staff to work at. If you have any doubts about sending your child here, please come visit the school and see for yourself that Dexter is a safe, welcoming, and positive place!

Posted August 25, 2014
Many of my colleagues and I have worked at this school for many years, and unfortunately, we must completely agree with the July 25 post. The leadership at this school is extremely concerning, this top-down bullying culture grows worse with every year she is here. She is very skilled at maintaining certain "perceptions" WE are all completely amazed why the District or Board do not see the truth.

Posted August 11, 2014
My youngest started 6th grade today and she is excited about her teachers, as I knew she would be. Her brothers have loved being at Dexter and are looking forward to a wonderful year in 7th and 8th grade. I'm so happy my kids are eager to learn and excited about learning. It is a direct result of the teachers that work here! Thank you.

Posted July 24, 2014
We are new to the community and would like to know about Dexter Middle School. I see a lot of negative comments and would like to know if East Whittier Middle school is a better choice

Posted June 11, 2014
I have seen my fair share of ups and downs for some time now here, and it deeply saddens me that our school has never really grown into our true potential. Many excellent educators are no longer with us, many of us feel we need help, but are fearful, trust continues to be an issue here and our staff culture is unhealthy, is the district aware of the leadership issues here? it's sad and a shame that this is the current reality, this school has the capacity and potential for greatness because there are so many talented colleagues here. We need something adjusted here, it just hasn't been working.

Walter F. Dexter Middle School 3

Posted April 02, 2014
I have twin boys who started Dexter this year. I was a little concerned about their test scores and fighting. I had heard it was a rough school. So far, my boys seem to like it and I am happy with the teachers. The principal is very approachable and seems to care for the students.

Posted November 14, 2013
I am so proud I sent my baby here she was doing so great I don't know how much I can thank the teachers for everything they've done. This school has teachers that try their best to do anything for your children send them here!

Posted July 31, 2013
I attended this school 3 years ago, and leaving it was the biggest breath of fresh air I've ever taken in my life. Never have I ever been surrounded by so many uneducated, rude, impolite and careless people in my life. How are we supposed to promote learning & raise productive members of society in a school where the environment is ghetto and unwelcoming? The school food was very unhealthy; in fact, it was so disgusting, I refused to eat lunch my entire Eight grade year. The children are very rambunctious. Fighting is something you get used to seeing; being surrounded by uncivilized, irrational human beings who "get down" whenever they're faced with a life-threatening issue (stealing each other's boyfriends, giving each other looks) became something you needed to get used to. Middle School is supposed to set a strong and firm foundation for students to excel academically & flourish throughout their high school years and even beyond, but Dexter failed to do so. Some teachers are wonderful as educators and even moreso as people, but overall, Dexter is a place infested with people who aren't so likeable or respectable. Do your peace of mind & your child's education a favor & STAY AWAY

Walter F. Dexter Middle School
11532 East Floral Drive, Whittier, CA  90601-2832
Last modified Walter F. Dexter Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.