Whittier, CA
Before care: Yes

Lou Henry Hoover Elementary School 3

Posted August 10, 2013
Overall the school was ok. I had court orders involving my child and they seemed to not really care. Also it seemed that they would pretty much let anyone on campus that was related to the child without giving notice to the parents. Very scary. When I confronted them about this. They pretty much said that if they dont have a court order keeping a person off the campus. Then they could not do anything about it. Again very scary.

Posted June 17, 2013
My son attended Kindergarten at Hoover Elementary from 2012-2013. My son enjoyed every activity the school had to offer. In October, they have the Burger Fry, then they have the annual School Performance at Whittier High School. They also have a Thanksgiving Performance where the children dress up as Pilgrims, Indians, etc. Then they have Santa Claus, Abe Lincoln, Dr. Suess visit the children. They grow plants, and chicks. Another memorable moment is their Mother Day's Tea Party. In the end, they give you a scrapbook with your child's picture of the activities that were done throughout the year. The Teacher's are knowledgeable, patient, nice and friendly.The school is very organized and I definitely recommend it. Only problem is the drop off/pick up zone. They are working on improving this issue.

Posted August 01, 2011
This is a great school. I'm a little disappointed that it is rated only a 4 out of 10. I believe it deserves a higher rating. Aside from that, the school is great. The faculty is amazing. Great teachers. Love that they have different organizations/clubs for the parents to be involved in. This school is BIG on caring for the education of the children. Not a very big school (which I like) compared to other over crowded schools. Their reading program is also very good. Hoover gets two thumbs up from me and my family.

Lou Henry Hoover Elementary School 4

Posted March 14, 2010
This is a great school with a great bunch of teachers. The Principal is great, and the kids seem to be happy in their school environment. My only complaint is their rotation program. It makes NO SENSE. Their is no accountability, and I have no idea what my child does during that time, since I don't know her Rotation Teacher. My daughter and her friends say it is boring and learn nothing. My neighbors and kids seem to hate it. I don't see the value in it AT ALL. They really need to get their act together and dump this program. WASTE OF TIME!

Posted June 02, 2009
I cant say enough on how much I love this school! The teachers, staff and especially Ms. Schmierer are fantastic and genuinely care about the kids. My kids and my family have had a wonderful experience going to the school and attending their many events and fundraisers. It really does feel like a small community and the parental involvement is great although I do wish more parents would be more involved. I also want to give a big, big kudos to the Hoover Dad's Club. They have made this year such a wonderful, fun and exciting year! They have given their time and money for many of the events without ever wanting a thank you. They do it for the kids. I hope other schools will use them as an example and start a dad's club in their school. Go Hoover Hawks!

Lou Henry Hoover Elementary School 0

Posted May 04, 2009
I have 2 children that attend Hoover. I have had a great experience with my children at the school. There is high level of parent involvement from fund-raisers to classroom tutoring. My children have been fortunate to have 2 great teachers: Ms. Ventura and Mrs. Suttuerfield. In the end, the success of your child will not depend on the school but the time parents put in with their children on school subjects. E.Ortega

Lou Henry Hoover Elementary School 2

Posted March 19, 2009
I am not happy with this school. The children say curse words, and bully new kids. There are to many kids in a classroom, so the teacher is not able to help struggling students. The communicatation to parents about homework, and what their child needs help with are non existent. It seems more like move them in then move them out than really caring about the education and social integration of children.

Lou Henry Hoover Elementary School 0

Posted October 08, 2008
My son has been at this school for two years now and I've never had any problems. Ms. Schmierer is a fantastic, caring principal with a top-notch staff, creating an environment that provides the perfect backdrop for student learning. Their after-school program is very good as well, and mixes homework help with social and recreational activities as well as physical exercise. And it's free!! I've often heard people say that Hoover is like a private school with its small, close-knit community and emphasis on character and academics, and I would have to agree. As far as public schools go, I think it's one of the best in the area.

Posted June 18, 2008
Hoover is a truly amazing school....we love the principal and all the staff my lil girl is now in 5th grade and i would like to thank hoover for helping me make her a grate person.

Posted January 28, 2008

Lou Henry Hoover Elementary School
6302 South Alta Avenue, Whittier, CA  90601
Last modified Lou Henry Hoover Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lou Henry Hoover Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top