Whittier, CA
Before care: Yes

Longfellow Elementary School 2

Posted November 16, 2014
I am a parent of a student at Longfellow elementary school and I was recently informed during a Tea with Torres, the Principle, that second graders and fifth graders are required to purchase an iPad for school to be able to keep up with technology and the school curriculum. I was informed that testing is now done using iPads at this public school and as a parent was not given an alternative for my child to be able to test. This school has no control over the PTA and no structure on the School Site Council and their meetings are closed to the public. I thought SSC meetings were public, but Principal Torres asked me to leave. I do not agree with the PTA's outburst against spanish speaking parents and their outburst on the parents lack of appreciation for their hard work, according to the PTA council, their exact words. Attend School Site Council and PTA Meetings December 10, 2014 @ 4:30 pm and see for yourself. I am not an angry parent, just disappointed with the schools lack of commitment for the childrens education.

Posted April 09, 2014
I have been very impressed with this school. The teachers are dedicated and kind. The principle has been instrumental in facilitating many improvements to this school and is invested in the children. Also, they have some great parent volunteers who go out of their way to encourage and excite the kids. Do not let their rating fool you because I could not ask for a better learning culture for my kids.

Posted October 17, 2011
I went to Longfellow beginning in 1975 (Kindergarten) ; I left to attend another school in 1976 ; I finally returned in 1979 and attended through 1983 . My kindergarten teacher was really creative , and she nurtured creativity in all of her students . I first heard early Pink Floyd ("Piper at the Gates of Dawn" , 1967) in her class ; it was from her extensive record collection. 5th grade had me attending instruction under an excellent teacher. At the time , I wasn't too happy about being academically pushed (what kid does ?) , but his format actually helped me and my classmates monumentally. Great times spent at Longfellow . I wonder how many of my former teachers are still part of Longfellow's staff ...

Posted April 18, 2011
This is my sons first year at this school. We transferred from Downey and I was concerned about the ratings they had overall. To my surprise my sons teacher has been great. I can completely tell she cares for him and the students. I am extremely pleased with the school and his teacher this year.

Posted August 31, 2010
I am a mother of 2, and have had a wonderful experience at Longfellow! I was completely skeptical about the rating and found that the teacher's are exceptional especially my son's Kindergarden teacher Mrs. Mayo...

Posted April 15, 2010

Posted February 04, 2010

Longfellow Elementary School 0

Posted January 26, 2010
I am a parent of twims in 2nd grade. We transferred this year from a private school and I was very concerned with the low rating. However, I have been greatly suprised. My boys have wonderful teachers who truly care about their students. I am glad that we transferred to this school.

Posted January 13, 2010

Longfellow Elementary School 3

Posted January 08, 2010
The teachers have been good, some even great and I would highly recommend them by name to friends to request at enrollment. The principal however, I find to be sorely lacking in leadership qualities. The previous 2 principals, however, were excellent.

Longfellow Elementary School
6005 South Magnolia Avenue, Whittier, CA  90601
Last modified Longfellow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Longfellow Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top