No rating

St. Bruno Parish School

Private | K-8 | 218 students

Living in Whittier

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $351,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,700.

Posted May 13, 2014

My child has been at St Bruno's for several years. We have seen a great shift in leadership and parental involvement. We went through a rough patch but I must say the results have been spectacular. It seems a lot of the negative influences that prevailed in the past have dissipated. The campus is more secure, the school is a leader in use of technology, the tough grading scale truly pushes kids who want to excel and parent participation is once again flourishing. In the upper grades, the teacher student ratio is fantastic. It seems many of the students that were having a challenging time achieving academic success have left and the remaining kids are exceptionally bright. We did loose a lot of bright kids as well, but many more remain. As for leadership, the principal is truly involved in creating a superior learning environment. We have seen 3 principals come and go and the current one is doing an amazing job and bringing about positive change. I can't say much about the previous 2... Go Tigers!

Posted April 16, 2014

As my daughter's second year in St. Bruno's done. I as well as her are very happy at St. Bruno's. She started when all the chaos erupted and I did not know what I was going to do. But I am so glad we stayed. St. Bruno's has improved so much in just under a year and a half. The education the children are receiving is amazing, the use of technology in the classrooms daily is so important, the teachers and staff are friendly and caring, the parents are happy and working as a team. Overall, my expectations are being met and I am very happy to see my daughter flourish at St. Bruno's. Every school has its rough times. But we are honestly loving our time at St. Bruno's. Such a great school. Highly recommend it!

Posted March 12, 2014

Saint Bruno School is way ahead with academic standards and incorporation of technology. The school had a turn around of teachers and the new staff is a great improvement to parents and community. Parents feel more welcome and students are learning at a faster pace. Teachers are smiling and working as a team to support student learning.

Posted June 19, 2013

Do your research, read the Whittier Daily News, google the issues. Not what it used to be, enrollment from 300 now at 90 and moving lower. Former teacher quality was high, have to give a one star now, as the staff has been in a mass exodus.

Posted June 18, 2013

The new principal has single handedly destroyed what was once a great school. She has made it so bad that we are willing to drive twice the distance to another school and pay $4000.00 more a year for a better education. St Brunos education is barely surviving on a diminishing reputation.

Posted May 22, 2013

A little over a year ago I would have rated this school 5 stars across the board-new principal came in mid last year and come Sept 2012 lots of changes came. Not for the better. For the first time in St B. history they have advertised that they are still accepting new applications. Our school used to have a waiting list. That is because several (almost half) of the students will not be returning next year. My children are two of them. This was the hardest decision I have ever had to make but I had no choice. It's disappointing and sad-so many good families leaving. The parent involvement was amazing but no longer. You would think smaller classes are a good thing but how will they pay for quality teachers with half of the enrollment that they had this year? Kind of a sketchy time to join this school...I would wait a few years and reevaluate then.

Posted April 20, 2013

St. Brunos used to be a great school, up until the new principal took over. Enrollment has dropped from about 320 students to just a little over 150 for the upcoming 2013-14 school year. WOW! This is horrible - you don't want your child in that environment. The administration has taken the school down which used to be top notch. Check out the surrounding Catholic schools. Too bad one person started such a cover up and the children and long time families have to pay the price.

Posted February 28, 2013

Beware, do your reaseach. There are plenty other Catholic schools who actually follow the virtues, are organized, loving, and provide good academics. We had two children at this school and this schools trickle down "bad attitudes" and disregard to parents and children input really does not warrant any more stars. Just check it out once you get through the crazy security and experience the front office staff I assure you, you'll want to take your hard earned money elsewhere. Learn from our big mistake. Parent involvement is scored high because you are charged big money if you don't comply and your constantly reminded. Not good reinforcement.

Posted February 16, 2013

I think the majority of teachers are great at this school. However, due the recent events at this school, the instruction and attention to the students has suffered greatly.Otherwise I would give this school 5 stars. Hopefully it can get back on track in the future.

Posted February 14, 2013

If you want a straight up secular education this school is great. But we are paying for a Catholic education as well and this school is failing. The administration does not listen to parents and the new principal with the support of the pastor is "cleaning house" at the expense of great teachers and most sadly the children. Do your research when you consider this school.

Posted January 25, 2013

Very nice little shcool. one of our children recently graduated from there and was well prepared for HS. Our second child is still there and really enjoys the school. New principal is making some changes, some overdue but all necessary. Hopefully this principal will stay longer than the last. She seems to be a strong leader and has made the school very safe given the circumstances. I would definately recomend enrolling your children here

Posted November 28, 2012

We have had kids at this school for the last 15 years and are extremely happy with our choice. When our oldest graduated and moved on to public high school, he was ahead of everybody else in the class. We had concerns about different teachers and their teaching styles through the years but looking back at these styles now that one of ours is in high school, it absolutley prepared them for moving forward. There is a great sense of community and comrodery amongst the students and paernts alike. The new principal (as of the middle of last year} has been very good for the school so far. She manages to make it to a lot of the extra carricular activities and is very available. Like any school, issues come up but I believe that everything is in the best interest of our kids.

Posted May 6, 2010

This school is definetly overrated. The academics are average and the programs offered mediocre at best.

Posted May 5, 2010

As an 8th grade student's we can honestly say St. Bruno is one of the best schools in the area. The staff is very welcoming and trustworthy. Though they may be tough, they are teaching us life morals and values. I always feel welcomed here. This school also has a marvelous campus. The athletic teams are very good, especially the P. E teacher. The pastor and priest are lovely, and always have a smile on thier face. The staff gets along well with the students especially the science teacher and the 6th grade teacher. These two always make the kids laugh and are very well educated teachers. The 8th grade teacher is superb and prepares us students for high school. The principal is very heart-warming and friendly, and gets along with the students, faculty, and staff. We feel very blessed to have been sent to this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 17, 2010

St Bruno has prepared my daughter to succeed in high school. And now that she is attending college back east she has all the tools necessary to compete and succeed in college. She does say that St Bruno was stuff, but she is thankful for the teachers at St Bruno.

Posted September 2, 2009

My son came back from his first day of highschool and thanked me for sending him to St. Bruno. He said he felt like a genius in his classes. He even said to me tonight, 'Wow highschool is easy'. He told my wife and I to expect straight A's this year.

Posted July 15, 2009

Extremely disappointed in this school. Member of office staff is extremely rude. Not impressed with the level of education. Good grades at St. Bruno does not seem difficult to achieve. Lots of homework does not equal challenging!! Seems like alot of people are drinking the kool-aid about this school!!

Posted July 9, 2009

St. Bruno in my opinion is over-rated. I had my child at Murphy Ranch and then pulled him out to attend St. Bruno and was extremely disappointed when I realized the student-teacher ratio was so vast. Too many students in 1 classroom is not conducive to learning. At that point...back to MR we go! It was the best decision we could have made.

Posted June 14, 2009

Overall satisifed- One member of office staff extremely rood and no social skills whatso ever- she has such a horrible reputaation- I do believe parents need to work hand in hand with the teachers- Communication is most important- Making sure students are responsible for themselves is something all parents should encourage at home as well. Most teachers are very good- always the bad eggs at every school- But thats something I also teach my kids- you will have your good boss' and your bad ones- how we adapt to people is up to us.

Posted May 19, 2009

The staff is rude to the students and disciplining students is out of hand. The school needs new direction and staffing. Thank God I am leaving the school

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ms. Rebecca Golda
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

15700 Citrustree Road