Donald Graham Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 568 students

Posted July 30, 2014

Love it here. My student excels, I believe, however, that this is because I WORK WITH HER AT HOME. Teachers cant do it all, but the four I've had here so far are very good. I volunteer as much as I can and do very much agree that the PTA is "clicky" and "unappriachable" as stated by a previous reviewer. They hiund you to join then never include or invite you to join their little parties in the teacher lounge....like its a big secret. I have enjoyed our time here regardless of the "stuck up"ish PTA.

Posted May 31, 2014

Donald Graham is a great school! My child has had the best time attending this top rate school. The staff works hard and truly cares about each child. The feeling tone when you walk in is a bit on the cold side. The women working in the office are not the friendliest. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a great community school!

Posted May 22, 2014

No communication at all with my daughter's teacher. No phone number or e-mail. Her teacher is apparently mean to other kids in the class and screams and mistreats them puts them in a corner and not allowed to be part of the class for up to a week. The teacher's there do not care about the education of many of these student's. Driving by the school itself say's many thing's. It's dark, no children's drawings, nothing colorful. It's so sad being that it is a community school. No programs for the children at ALL. The teacher's are there to get there paycheck for the week at that is it. Many of these kids cannot read and struggle with math..!!The PTA puts on many extra activities, however they seem un-approachable to an outsider trying to help (very "clicky"). Overall this school is ok, but with lackluster teachers, no music or art programs and the feeling of not being able to participate in my child's education, I will be looking for a new school next year.

Posted January 8, 2012

I chose to send my two children to this school. At the time my first son was to enter Kinder we were slated to attend Jean Haymen. For many reasons I was not embracing the idea of that school and drove around my community, which I had only lived in for 2years, looking at the local elemntary schools. Donald Graham's beautiful campus and location, safely within a nice neighborhood caught my eye. Six years later with both children on honor roll, I am so glad I made the choice I did. DGE has excellent teachers that give all children a sense of importance and worth at all times. Both principals we have had over the years have been wonderful leaders and the children have loved them! The PTA at DGE is one of the strongest I have seen or heard of in the area, always giving 110% to the students and staff! As my oldest approaches 5th grade graduation I feel it's important to share my family's praise and support of our experiences at DGE. School events, field trips, science fair, the speech program, committed staff from office, nurse, teachers, cafeteria and even custodial all team up to create an exceptional experience for the entire family.

Posted December 8, 2011

Donald Graham Elementary, I consider to be my second home. I have two children that have been attending since 2003. My kids both started DGE with the wonderful Speech and Language program back when they were 3 years of age. They have always been there to help my family. I have never had an issue with the front office staff in 8 years. The Principal always has an open door. She is out front every morning greeting all the students with a warm smile and a good morning. (especially if you are wearing a CHARGERS jersey). The DGE PTA is fantastic. Every month they have wonderful events for the students and their families. I can't say enough about this school. Why in the world would anyone want to watch from a car in the parking lot. Come in and check it out for yourself!!!! This is the last year for one of my kids, but my youngest has two more years. We are like a family here, and because of that I will always remain involved at DGE.

Posted April 19, 2011

The staff here is RUDE, RUDE, RUDE!! Why does the school employ the aides and office staff? These people continue to scream at the students, and the children are in fear of the "mean lady" at the front desk. If you do not believe me...watch from the parking lot, on the kindergarten play yard. You will be shocked at how the aides speak to your children. Where is the principal? Always at a meeting, away from her desk, anywhere but with the students!! This school is in need of a makeover...FAST!

Posted April 10, 2011

I am becoming more and more disappointed with DGE. At first I thought this was going to be a fun and safe learning environment, however, as time has gone by it seems to be truly lacking. Sadly this school, as many others are, is teaching for test scores. There are a slight few amongst the teaching staff that do care and go above and beyond, but the majority make it clear that it is a hassle for them to be there each day. I agree with posts that the Principal is genuinely caring and concerned for the students well being, but with the district breathing down the back of her neck for being a newbie, I think she is cautious to push forward with some of her ideas to make DGE a better place. The PTA puts on many extra activities, however they seem un-approachable to an outsider trying to help (very "clicky"). Overall this school is ok, but with lackluster teachers, no music or art programs and the feeling of not being able to participate in my child's education, I will be looking for a new school next year.

Posted January 31, 2011

I have two daughters in this school and they are both very happy. I am pleased. This is their second year here and every thing is going great :)

Posted November 23, 2010

This is our first year at DGE and we love it. My sons teacher is involved she is caring and listens to him. I volunteer in the class once a week and get to see how the kids interact and they can be a challenge :) The office staff can be a bit rough but after w few weeks of coming and going they were no problem. They could smile more though :) Principal Recatto is awesome. She goes out of her way for these kids to challenge them and to make them feel important. So glad we decided to enroll at DGE rather than our 2 other close by schools. We are getting a better education than the private school we went too.

Posted September 14, 2010

My children started attending this school this year, and I am already disappointed. This school offers nothing more than substandard education. The school does not offer a music program where children can sing and learn to play instruments. I would also like to mention that out of 3 of the 4 teachers my children have 1 is I feel up to par. The others, well they must not like their jobs, because they sure act like it. Then there is the front office clerks, whom also probably don't like their jobs, the only thing I can take from all of this is that, they are either judgmental or truely don't want to be there. The only thing I can good about this school say about this school is I feel they do have a great principle. She seems to really care about the kids and their education.

Posted September 14, 2010

If it's quality your looking for at this school, please keep on looking. I am very disappointed by the quality of education my children are getting at this school. The teachers (not all) and office staff are judgmental of the parents and students, or maybe they just don't like their jobs. It would be nice to go into the office and be greeted with a smile, but the office lady is always confrontational, and is down right rude. There isn't a music program at this school, and they are talking about taking away all the play equipment because it is not up to the school boards standards (only like 10 years old), and they don't have money to replace it. One thing I would like to say is that the school does seem to have a good principle who cares about the kids

Posted September 11, 2010

I HAVE TWO KIDS ATTENDING TO THIS SCHOOL ,THERE IS ONLY ONE THING I DO NOT LIKE IS TO HEAR MY KIDS THAT THEY HAVE TO SUPPORT OTHER STUDENTS BEEN FIGHTING WITH THEM AND NOT TO BE ABLE TO TELL THE TEACHERES BECAUSE THEY GET MAD. ,THE BAD THIING IS THAT THEY HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS TO THEM IN ORDER TO TELL THE TEACHER .

Posted March 24, 2010

I have two children attending this school and I'm very happy with my decision earlier this year to transfer them back here (after we moved out of the district). It is worth the drive! The teachers we have had are wonderful. We'll miss the principal we had last year -- but they do seem to be doing a good job this year. Both of my kids are excelling in their classes.

Posted May 23, 2009

I love this school!My children thinks this school is fun.The teachers are great.They encourage and support the students in school.The principle is great but we're sad because he is transfering to another school.

Posted February 24, 2009

The teachers and great and seem to always have a smile on their face. The principle is outstanding. He is always outside every morning greeting the parents and students. His number one priority is always the students and to say he is trying to ruin the school is a joke. DGE has and is still doing a great job!

Posted August 26, 2008

My daughter is in 1st grade. I really appreciate staff and the principal is great. The curriculum is excellent. The school is in a wonderful location, only 5 minutes from my home. It's in a safe neighborhood, well-gated, security-minded. I feel comfortable knowing that my daughter is safe. Donald Graham is a very good and challenging school.

Posted March 20, 2008

My son is in 1st grade. The staff is welcoming. The curriculum is excellent. The school is in a wonderful location, only 15 minutes from my home. It's in a safe neighborhood, well-gated, security-minded. I feel at ease knowing that my son is safe and secure at Donald Graham Elementary.

Posted July 6, 2007

DGE's staff have been extremely nice and fun. Their idea of teaching kids critical thinking and using less rote memory is a good one; however, I feel this can still be done while teaching good work ethics and that there are rules to be followed. My opinion on visiting the school is children seemed to spill out into the halls and meander around. I love their music, science and PE programs and there is a lot of creativity. I also like the way the school morally challenges its students to do the right thing, evident at the flag salutes by recognizing those students who have done or said something above and beyond. The school has a charm all it's own, but I do feel that more attention needs to be paid to basic education after all that is why the kids are there.

Posted May 15, 2007

Those were the days, unfortunately DGE is under a new leadership now that is extremely power hunger and it is all about test scores and rules. It still has some wonderful teachers but they also have been threaten by the principal's no tolerant policy. DGE is no longer a fun place to learn.Also it is an impaction school so very little parent involvement which is exactly the way the principal likes it. No creativity.

Posted March 30, 2005

Parent involvement low. Teachers are overworked and underpaid. Would be nice to see less attention to nutrition issues and more attention to there overall education. Most staff very nice, they try but it just falls short. No before or after extracurricular activities or care available.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students65%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Computer lab

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

35450 Frederick Street