PK-5|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Want to know more about Woodland Hills Private School? Read their parent-survey letter: whole letter available at http://tinyurl.com/WHPSSurvey What families say they are doing exceptionally well: Woodland Hills Private School's preschool was just selected as one of the “Most Coveted Schools in LA,” according to the website ParentPick.com. Parents overwhelmingly believe WHPS develops their child’s critical thinking and creativity. Parents feel safe dropping off their child at our campuses. This includes feeling both physically safe on our secure campuses and emotionally safe and cared for. "Everyone seemed to know my child, whether his teacher, another teacher, or staff.” -WHPS parent “We love the safe, beautiful campus.” Parents appreciate that their child’s individual talents and interests are known, valued and nurtured by the school and teachers." -WHPS parent Parents feel their children are receiving a well-rounded education. "I know this may sound effusive, but every aspect of the school is balanced and evolving at the same time. Really couldn't be more pleased." -WHPS parent Parents at our Oxnard Street campus consistently praised the SCIENCE & NATURE CENTER for providing exceptional science education and for fostering appreciation of the natural world. “The barnyard is a huge draw as well. It feels much more balanced and enriching than most schools.” “It’s holistic education. I'm happy to see that barnyard is now a formalized curriculum.” Almost 2/3 of WHPS parents got involved with the parent association at their campus last school year in some way.
September 17, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Both my kids have been in the elementary program here for 3 years and I have a really positive experience. The teachers and staff know my kids well and care deeply about them in a way I haven't heard about from friends at other schools. The parent/teacher communication is excellent which is really important to me. I can pop in after class and talk to their teachers anytime and email communication is always responded to by the end of the day. My daughter is advanced in her class and they do a great job making sure she is challenged and engaged. My son struggles in his reading and writing and they also do a great job making sure he is getting the extra attention he needs. They really do make sure each child gets what they need. They have a very active parent group that does some amazing extra activities for the kids that is funded privately and does not come out of tuition. (Tuition at this school by the way is a BARGAIN compared to similar caliber schools!) This fundraising is important to me because I was at another private school before and we were constantly being asked to give money and it went to the school and not the kids. This place is different, they give everything back and you can see it. The campus is very pretty and well maintained. Over each school break we always come back to see some improvement to the campus. They work hard to keep it in tip top shape. The elementary classrooms are newly built and have great big windows that let in a lot of light. Most important of all, my kids are very happy here!

Mainly a preschool, with a tiny elementary school attached. Preschool classroom buildings are very old and "dirty". Sand all over campus doesn't help. Many of the teachers are not credentialed. They use the word "qualified", but many of the teachers do not have 4 year degrees. They say there is a "lead teacher" that is credentialed or "qualified" but not all the teachers are certified teachers. This goes for preschool and elementary Countless fundraisers and room parents asking for money a lot. Parents association does its best to raise money to provide for fun activities for the kids, but parents end up paying hundreds of dollars out of pocket each year for these. The playground structures and toys are very old and not sanitized/cleaned weekly. School also has a barnyard. Cute, but not as educational as it can be. When students visit the barnyard, they do not wear gloves and are only asked to sanitize their hands afterwards. Fine if kids just pet the animals. But the older kids are asked to clean the stalls etc. K-5 education is not up to par with even public schools. Many of the teachers who have been there for years have left. Teachers who remain are very young. They try to squeeze whatever they can out of each teacher. The english teacher will also teach science. The kindergarten teacher also teaches PE, etc. And they outsource their spanish and computer teachers. Computers are outdated and on a wifi network that is slower than a turtle and often isn't working. Computers in the classrooms are old Dells. The reading level at the school is atrocious. Library is so small and doesn't have the quality of literature a school should have. No school nurse, no gym, not enough parking, and old equipment, not in line with any other private school in the area. Save yourself 12-13k a year and send your child to public school and supplement with kumon. Class sizes are TINY. As in about 12 kids per grade. Furthermore, too many of the kids have disabilities of some sort of behavioral problems and the school is not equipped to manage these issues or kids with learning disabilities and need early education intervention. My child met some great students here, but If I had to do it all over again, I probably would've saved my money. It is just way, way to expensive for the quality of education and infrastructure. Average at best.

My daughter started a public charter school and within 5 days, I was calling private schools to move her. I emailed WHPS on a Friday night, and by Saturday, I had already been in contact with the principal. I then "dropped by" the following Monday, having no idea it was their first day of school, and the principal made time for me, giving me a full tour of the school and talking to me about an IEP for my 5 year old. By the following week, she was attending WHPS and I have never looked back. In the area where we moved from, this school would have been out of everyone's price range. But in this area, I found it to be a very good price for private education. We are not a family who is "well off" by any means. But we made our child's education the most important expense only second to our mortgage. We have not regretted our decision one bit.

We have had a spectacular experience at this school. Our daughter went to three years of preschool here. The teachers were fun, nurturing and engaged. We looked at other public and private schools for elementary and ultimately decided to stay at WHPS. The elementary is amazing. The classes are small and each child truly gets an individualized education. The kids are in like-learner groups for reading and math, regardless of grade. This allows each child to work at their own level and be appropriately challenged. Even the homework is individualized. In addition to the standard curriculum, the students have Spanish, P.E., Computer, Barnyard, Music and Art classes beginning in Kindergarten. This school is a hidden gem--we honestly cannot believe how lucky we are to have found it!!

We have been at WHPS for many years. My older son started at the school when he was 3 and is now in 4th grade. My youngest started at age 2 and is now in kindergarten. My experience with both the preschool and the elementary have been excellent! My older son has ADHD and other issues and everyone has been very helpful and understanding. I appreciate that the teachers have always been willing to work with me rather than write him off. Because of that, he is now thriving. The class size and the individual approach are what makes this school great. I can't forget to mention the wonderful teachers and staff. They are all top notch! There is also a very active parents group that brings a lot of fun activities for the children. Everyone in the community really cares about the community and that is why we have been here for so long. Keep in mind that people have different expectations. Sometimes, it's just not the right fit. This is not the fault of the school or the teachers. It's just not what the parent hoped it would be... I wish people would keep that in mind before giving low ratings.

We are pulling our youngest out after a month or so, my wife was ready to pull the youngest out the first day. As soon as the AuPair we arranged for gets here the youngest will be home and doing private dance, art and other things for socialization skills. Now we are looking for a new spot for our older child who just started Kindergarten. Too many issues, the teacher actually seems pretty good but the management has things going on that we don't feel are appropriate teaching techniques. We don't think our child will do well here and we are cutting our loses and moving on.

Not quite sure what problem the parent below had with this school, as I have had a completely different experience - I've had a great time with my daughter at this school and absolutely love it. The teachers are amazing, all the staff are so friendly and helpful - and my daughter adores this school and is thriving amazingly. I've been very picky about schools and I am so happy with Woodland Hills Private. We've been there for two years and have never had a bad experience and I'd highly recommend it to other parents who are looking for a great start on your child's education.

Crazy that someone would say that this is a quality school. This is such a joke. Horrible staff, horrible teachers, just a poor school all the way around. Public school offers a much better education then this school could ever offer! Go somewhere else where your child has a better chance of learning!

We are very happy here. I have one child in preschool and one in the elementary school (and he did preschool at WHPS as well). The preschool is the best! As far as the elem school goes, we tried one year at a public school and couldn't wait to get back to WHPS. It is so much better! Smaller classes, amazing teachers, more and better resources, and wonderful involved parents. The academics are handled so wonderfully - kids are in small groups based on their abilities for subjects like math and reading. My son is challenged and inspired daily. It is so worth the money.

Last modified Woodland Hills Private School - Oxnard St. Campus is a Private school that serves grades PK-5