Ivy Academia School

Charter | PK-12 | 1100 students

Ivy Academia is best known for our focus on National Entrepreneurial Standards.

School Official Point of View

Posted August 18, 2014

Ivy Academia Entrepreneurial Charter School is a FREE, PUBLIC Charter School that serves students in grades TK-12. Ivy Academia is the largest start-up, independent charter school in the San Fernando Valley authorized by LAUSD. We are committed to small class sizes, fully credentialed teachers, individualized instruction and a focus on entrepreneurial education each and every day. We take great pride in the academic excellence and the entrepreneurial program. For the past decade, Ivy Academia provided our families and community with high quality education and innovative opportunities. Facilities are our greatest challenge, and we work tirelessly to address the space we are provided by LAUSD each year and to improve private leases. Currently, Ivy Academia Elementary (Grades TK-6) is co-located on Taft Charter High School in Woodland Hills. We have developed a very positive working relationship with the Taft administrators and Taft Student Council. Ivy Academia Junior/High School (Grades 7-12) is located on Shomrei Torah Synagogue campus in West Hills. We have the most supportive relationship with our landlords. We would love to have our own campus, but we have consistently done the best we can with what is offered and available. Despite these challenges, Ivy Academia continues to provide a high quality education to our students. Our students and families appreciate the small class sizes and the attentiveness of teachers and administrators. Ivy Academia is a family! Due to the dedication and commitment of our teachers, administrators and parents, our students take AP courses in high school and are accepted to impressive universities. In addition, the students graduate with a real-world entrepreneurial knowledge that they will be able to apply. There is always room for improvement, and we work diligently to address the needs of each and every student. We invite you to give your child the opportunity to create, to innovate, to explore, and to learn as Ivy Academia Educates Our Next Generation of Entrepreneurs! Visit www.ivyacademia.com

Posted December 31, 2011

I taught at Ivy for one year, and from my personal experience, know why the turnover rate is so high. The administration failed to give me any support when it came to curriculum and discipline. I would constantly ask for help when discipling some of my students who were bullying on the yard, only to walk in and see a party going on when detention was supposed to be taking place. 99% of my students were AMAZING and I enjoyed every second with them. The administration, on the other hand, were very condescending. I always felt that I was being talked about behind my back and never knew who I could trust. That is not a healthy work environment to be a part of. I left because Ivy was not meeting MY standards as an educator.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 10, 2011

Our family has been at Ivy Academia 4 years. We have had a wonderful experience. My kids enjoy going to school everyday and they are thriving socially and academically. The entrepreneurial focus is such a plus. Our teachers have been wonderful and are really great about communicating in a timely manner. The school overall seems to be more organized this year. The downside is the high rate of teacher turnover. Teacher quality is high, but they don't seem to stay very long....or, is it that they remove the ones who don't meet Ivy's standards? ONE LOCATION FOR K-8 would be a dream come true. Overall, very very satisfied.

Posted October 7, 2011

Excellent school!!! better than a Public, Cheaper than a Private!!! Needs more parent involment and more Fundraising!!

Posted September 11, 2011

this is a great school but needs to work on its apperance and if not that then should ask the kids about teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and in addtion my child is loving the school and its teachers, students,events, principal's leadership

Posted August 18, 2011

The 4 years we had our children in IVY have nothing but HIGH MARKS. THE TEACHERS lift this school as FIVE STARS. No school is perfect. With budget challenges they focus on the important ones. Our students!

Posted August 17, 2011

Some parents complain just because that s what they do best! Since children often follow their parents lead my view is that it's best that they leave and take their narcissistic children with them. Ivy will discharge teachers who are not up to Ivy expectations. Ivy is great because they won t cut children slack thus they mature. Because parents find their children special does not mean that Ivy will cut them special considerations, it's not real life! Mommy and daddy won t be able to go negotiate for them at their first job. Ivy encourages children to think and to be creative, thinking outside the box! Memorizing information and spitting it back to pass a test does not educate. My first request was to stimulate my children to think and IVY ran with that request. I don t worry about the grades as much as what my children are getting out of the experience. Oh and they both are great problem solvers! I have but one complaint, IVY NEEDS A HOME! STILL AFTER 7 YEARS OF EFFORT, NO RESULTS.

Posted July 18, 2011

Ivy has gone from a good school to a mess in the past year. The new administration does not enforce the dress code or conduct in the hallways and there is loud rap music coming from the gym at the De Soto campus every morning while students are arriving. Now we just got word that the 3rd grade is being moved to a new campus in a rough part of Canoga Park. LAUSD is out of the question and we don't have enough money to send our children to a private school, so now I'm praying for an alternative to this place.

Posted July 17, 2011

By far one of the best schools in the valley, children love going to school every morning, exellent teachers that go above and beyond for their students, small classes, lots of parent envolment, there is nothing negative I could say about this school...."Go Ivy"

Posted June 13, 2011

we try public school before and we noticed the difference!!..our son loves this school!!..and so do we!

Posted June 2, 2011

My children have been at Ivy for 2 years and we are very happy with it. In addition to the regular curriculum, the children learn about money, entrepreneurial skills and business, and put it to use every Friday at Ivy Community. For the annual Entrepreneurial Convention, the younger children create inventions and the older children create business plans for businesses they create. The teachers are incredibly enthusiastic and dedicated to the children. My children love this school and so do their friends. The campuses are different than standard public schools because the school has never been offered a campus of its own. I actually like the smaller campus groups (currently K-1, 2-3, 4-8, and 9-12) because they are more intimate. But you have to be willing to go with the flow because campus locations are currently subject to change. The parent that complained about being asked for money must not be aware of the current education funding crisis. Charter schools are a little better off than regular public schools, but they still need parents to help clean classrooms, donate money and supplies, and help out in the classroom; this is the case anywhere except in private schools.

Posted June 1, 2011

Ivy Academia is a wonderful school. The students are challenged and receive extra activities not offered at other public schools. They have 3-4 fieldtrips a year.Their Lunch is natural and includes many organic ingredients. I am so grateful to my daughter's teacher Ms. Jones!

Posted April 17, 2011

How anyone can give this school less than 4 stars shocks me. My child has attended Ivy Academia since kindergarden and she LOVES it and has prospered tremendously! She is now in fourth grade in the honors classes and looks forward to going to school. She especially loves "Ivy Community" days (Friday) because that is when she puts to use all of the great things that she has been learning in class...social studies to decide what product to market, science to invent/make it (she opted to make "volcano kits" to sell) math to take and give change in "Ivy Cash", and English to write up her advertisements. This school makes learning purposeful AND teaches kids to be entrepreneurial leaders. Ivy Academia fills my daughter and her friends with passion, ambition, adaptabity, positivity and creativity. Does Ivy expect a lot from the parents and kids?Yup, they do. (If your idea of parent involvement is dropping off your kid and picking them up, a charter school may not be for you.) Parents are required to volunteer a certain # of hours of their time. Does it pay off? Big time! Between the terrific teachers, excelled learning and fun field trips, and of course, "Ivy Community", we are so happy!

Posted April 8, 2011

I have been very impressed with this school, considering its very large obstacles. My daughter is in 2nd grade, has been there since kindergarten and has received an excellent education complete with innovative curriculum and fabulous teachers. As long as she continues to blossom and be successful, I intend to keep her there. I think the parent involvement is one of the key items that make this school superior to regular public schools. I believe if we persevere will can get proper facilities, and continue to give these kids the great education that they deserve.

Posted February 6, 2011

(Review Continued) On top of this, the school repeatedly asks for money for any given occasion. I am not against donating money to a school every once in a while for a good cause or to help the class get supplies but I do not want to give 20 dollars a month to throw a party.The administration tries to seem professional and serious when enforcing a uniform code, even too strictly I would say, but they still lack the qualities to make up for their REAL problems. It is understandable that a child would say that they dislike school, or even "hate" it, but when I hear repeatedly from my children and ALL of their friends that the school is awful I cannot help but agree with them. Whether the school pays parents to write great reviews for it, or whether these parents genuinely think the school is so amazing themselves I do not know. My objective here is to warn all other parents NOT enrolled in the school to avoid sending their children to Ivy Academia Charter School. Please think of the future of your children and your own sanity. Thank you.

Posted February 6, 2011

I can in no way understand how any parent can give this AWFUL school a 5 star rating and a great review. My children have attended Ivy since the first year it was open and I have seen scarcely any improvement since then. I've heard from many people that a school that is so "young" will obviously have some problems until they are settled, but after over 5 years I expect at least a LITTLE organization in the system. My older child (now removed to a different school) obtained no high school preparation from this school's upper classes. On the other hand, my younger child in 2nd grade receives an excess of homework. Not only does the homework seem to increase a little every week, but the projects that the teachers give the lower class students are completely absurd! My 6 year old is assigned a report to write an essay on when he is still learning to write 3 to 4 letter spelling words. I end up doing most of the work in order to meet the deadline and criteria of the project and my child gets no benefits. (Review Continued Below)

Posted September 7, 2010

We love Ivy!!! I moved my boys (now in 2nd and 4th grade) to Ivy from public LAUSD in Encino. After all the many problems and uncaring attitude from the last school...Ivy is a blessing. The teachers here really care about the kids and how they learn. We love the entrepreneurial aspect of this school, the way they teach the kids, and the many extras that are offered. My kids were beaming after the 1st day of school last week and are still smiling when I pick them up. It's so nice to see them excited about their school instead of wishing they didn't have to go each day. All the hardships from the last school we don't regret because it forced us to find something better for our kids. Blessing in disguise!

Posted August 2, 2010

I know Ivy has been under some scrutiny lately but from my and my son's experience, Ivy is the best thing I have ever done for him. The teachers genuinely care and are not simply there to collect a paycheck and retire. I have seen my son's confidence improve as well as his enthusiasm for school. He still struggles but the educators are providing him every opportunity to learn. Whats more, the school really does let the children think outside of the box and allows my son's imagination sore with everything from building a business to arts and crafts to science. Personally, I like the homey feel where the teachers all know me and enjoy the opportunity to volunteer and be a part of my child's education.

Posted June 16, 2010

Lucas was put in ESL at Encino Elementary, he was told he was a slow reader and I was told he had dislyxia and other stuff, but, doctors told me he was normal. So at 5 he just wasn't reading well...hmmm. Pulled him out and we put him at IVY. By December he was reading 120 words a minute. Self initiating reading, has straight A's and is CONFIDENT!!! He comes home happy and is eager to go to school. I have IVY to thank for changing how he sees the world and how he now LOVES TO LEARN!!! Thank you Ivy. We love you!!!

Posted June 15, 2010

This school is horrible!!! The teachers only teach whats required and the principle is very rude and unprofessional. My daughter learned nothing this year it was a waste. I will be putting her back in a private school! This school isn't everything they say. Please spare your child and don't let there grades go down because they don't care!!!

Posted June 12, 2010

Ivy is one of the best schools in LA area. I feel very luck that my child attends it. Cannot be thankful enough to all teachers and stuff. They are just wonderful.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students78%

Fluent-English proficient and English only48%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)42%
Parent education - college graduate60%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students76%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/AN/A
English language learners 10%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Pre-School
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 25% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 60% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 5% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 10% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation UCLA
CSUN
Pierce College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
German
Russian
Spanish
Farsi
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • LA Daily News Favorite Charter School Readers' Choice (2014)
  • UCLA Echo Project Award (2013)
  • GATES Millennium Scholarship (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • American Red Cross (2014)
  • West Valley Food Pantry (2013)
  • Children's Hospital (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Senior Internships
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
  • Debate
  • National Honor Society
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 432 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents43237%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Caroline Wesley
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Individually guided instruction
  • Internships
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • Business management

• None
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Donations in lieu of Service
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor