Ivy Academia School

Charter | PK-12 | 1100 students

Ivy Academia is best known for our focus on National Entrepreneurial Standards.

Living in Woodland Hills

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $355,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,060.

School Official Point of View

Posted Monday, August 18, 2014

Ivy Academia Entrepreneurial Charter School is a FREE, PUBLIC Charter School that serves students in grades TK-12. Ivy Academia is the largest start-up, independent charter school in the San Fernando Valley authorized by LAUSD. We are committed to small class sizes, fully credentialed teachers, individualized instruction and a focus on entrepreneurial education each and every day. We take great pride in the academic excellence and the entrepreneurial program. For the past decade, Ivy Academia provided our families and community with high quality education and innovative opportunities. Facilities are our greatest challenge, and we work tirelessly to address the space we are provided by LAUSD each year and to improve private leases. Currently, Ivy Academia Elementary (Grades TK-6) is co-located on Taft Charter High School in Woodland Hills. We have developed a very positive working relationship with the Taft administrators and Taft Student Council. Ivy Academia Junior/High School (Grades 7-12) is located on Shomrei Torah Synagogue campus in West Hills. We have the most supportive relationship with our landlords. We would love to have our own campus, but we have consistently done the best we can with what is offered and available. Despite these challenges, Ivy Academia continues to provide a high quality education to our students. Our students and families appreciate the small class sizes and the attentiveness of teachers and administrators. Ivy Academia is a family! Due to the dedication and commitment of our teachers, administrators and parents, our students take AP courses in high school and are accepted to impressive universities. In addition, the students graduate with a real-world entrepreneurial knowledge that they will be able to apply. There is always room for improvement, and we work diligently to address the needs of each and every student. We invite you to give your child the opportunity to create, to innovate, to explore, and to learn as Ivy Academia Educates Our Next Generation of Entrepreneurs! Visit www.ivyacademia.com

Posted yesterday

There are a lot of rumors about LAUSD and charter schools and I urge parents to watch the board meetings on TV and do their own research. LAUSD does not block charter schools from using their campuses but they need to protect their students and staff. In the recent past, charter schools who have shared a LAUSD campus have destroyed the facility and staff interfered with the host school functions causing undue harm to students, staff and the education of students. In addition, it is not appropriate for some age groups to be on campus with older age groups. The community suffers as well...increased traffic, noise, and property damage.

Posted Monday, August 18, 2014

As a parent I understand the concerns the other parents have posted but I also know Ivy IS SAFE. My son has been enrolled at Ivy for the past 5 years he has been at all 3 campuses (Temple Judea, Sunny Brae and now Woodland Hills) & one of my least concerns is safety as I know how hard they work to keep our children safe. My suggestion to ALL parents is "STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IVY" if Ivy keeps moving campuses is because of the district "LAUSD", they are the ones who force Ivy to move, they refuse to give Ivy a permanent campus. IF YOU AS A PARENT ARE REALLY CONCERN THAN GO COMPLAIN TO LAUSD, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE NOT IVY & NOTHING WILL CHANGE IF WE AS PARENTS DON'T DO ANYTHING TO MAKE LAUSD GIVE US A CAMPUS. LAUSD DENIED SUNNY BRAE AS A CAMPUS FOR IVY AND THE ONLY OPTION THEY GAVE IVY WAS BEHIND TAFT. SO REALLY WHAT IS IVY TO DO? IT WAS EITHER TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!! Ivy Academia is a great school, unfortunately LAUSD does not like independent charters, I wonder if it's because they don't receive Federal Founds for all the kids enroll at an independent charters? Parents please do research, do not blame Ivy for something they don't have control over. PLEASE STOP BAD MOUTHING IVY!!

Posted Monday, August 18, 2014

Its really simple. Ivy Academia is a phenomenal business entrepreneurial charter school for TK-12. This is our 7th year at Ivy. The teachers are wonderful. The kids thrive on every level of education. TRUST me when I say If I felt that my kids were not being given a proper education I wouldnt waste my time here. Not for a second. With regard to the new move to the back of Taft, Its been a challenge. Many first time parents are upset with drop off and pick up. I hear all of you and I am seeing it too. It will take time to get the kinks out. Parents need to come together to help in any way they can. Remember that LAUSD gave us the back portion of Taft. Ivy had no other choice. If parents are going to point the finger - point to LAUSD and not Ivy Academia. Its not about me, or you, Its about our Ivy kids.

Posted Monday, August 18, 2014

To the person that posted about the large kinder class with 2 teachers. You should have given it a chance. It's actually a model that really works. The school has to double up 1 grade each year (2 classes in 1 physical room) because LAUSD won't give Ivy the number of classrooms for it's charter. Our kids went through this model and it really works, surprising, but it really does.

Posted Sunday, August 17, 2014

Unsafe. Did you know there are only 5 toilets for each gender, 10 toilets total, for ALL of the students at this school to use? Oh, unless you count the toilets they get to share with the Taft high school students! If you care about your child at all, you could never send your child to this campus. And, the teachers are all inexperienced. At this school they believe a teacher with 3 years of experience is "experienced". Even the state of California doesn't think this qualifies as experienced. A new teacher isn't even taken off of a preliminary teaching credential for 4 years. Please for the sake of your child, do not be fooled into thinking this place should be called a school. We withdrew our daughter and would rather pay private school tuition and forgo large summer vacations for the sake of our child's education.

Posted August 15, 2014

My daughter started going to this school when she was in 2nd grade today she is very advanced in her studies and my son joined in when he was in kinder,also my son is doing very good in studies.My kids feel safe and happy at this school.This school teaches anti bullying.This school is far more better than any other school in the area.I am glad that my kids are in this school.This school provides excellent education.Regarding Taft School location,we all need to have patience.Ms. Lyons and the staff is very involved they will come up with solution very soon.I have only had good experience at this school.This school provides private school education for free and teachers are very involved with students.I will recommend this school to everyone.

Posted August 12, 2014

When my daughter started kinder at ivy she was thrilled so was I small campus at sunnybrae staff had more control her teacher Mrs.Mclee was great. Now the move to taft was the worst thing they could have done, they are unorganized, traffic is horrible, morning/afternoon walk is the worst not just for us adults but for our kids, specially those pregnant or other parents that dont deal just with 1 kid. Ivy students are not safe they could hide, run, walk into taft high school, high school students walk to the side where IVy is how safe are our kids? What of they have to use bathroom and someone is hiding they should lock and put camera where the big walkway is by softball field. Worst school please dont send your children there... You hear it in the news all the time of what could go wrong... Any other school is safer then this... 44 kids in Kinder? what are they going to learn? Very bad

Posted August 8, 2014

I am rating our NEW YEAR as a 3 for now. Until I get the report card from the other parents and of course the most important, our KIDS. True, the back to school orientation was CHAOS. However, they are working with what they have access to. I'm truly excited for this year. For once, our kids have visual stimuli. Trees, grass, flowers...its no longer a "prison like" environment. I truly am grateful that Taft has opened their campus to us. All the teachers seem on top of it. Most of the teachers I saw yesterday at the Orientation, seemed completely prepared for the school year and all were very loving and caring to the students. There were many students extremely excited for the teachers and vice versa. Let's see how the year goes and let's evaluate after 1 month or 2. Go Pumas!

Posted August 7, 2014

Parents beware. Check your schedules carefully including report cards. The school promices Algebra 1 in 8th grade schedule and then puts H Math in the report cards. Thus in the 9th grade the kids are not eligible to take Geometry and have to take Algebra 1 over. According to math teacher this is due to extra interprenurial projects that the students had to do. This affects your childs ability to apply to Universities. To apply to an accredited university the student must have completed Calculus by Highschool graduation. Your student will not have the necessary credits to apply to college. The only other option is to take a math summer course at a local college. Now your kid has to take one year worth of math in 8 weeks. The school misled you and jeopardized your childs ability to apply to college. The extra enterprenurial projects that they assign are a sham to make it look like they are studying business and are applying their knowledge in business manner. None of the teachers are actually qualified to teach business and nothing but buisy work and pretty wall decorations comes out of theese projects. My advice is grab your kids and run before their college chances are ruined.

Posted August 7, 2014

44 kids in one classroom in Kindergarten. 2 teachers and 1 aide. 44 kids in one classroom in Kindergarten is NOT the same a private school. The teachers all have less than 5 years experience. They are new to the school. The administrators treat the teachers horribly. I literally cried on my way back to my car after I met his teachers after the extremely poorly orchestrated back to school barbecue. My poor son.

Posted June 9, 2014

My daughter was an A student here, she went to SOCES this year and her grades are now C's, she was completely unprepared for a big school like SOCES and whats worse, she was behind ALL her peers. Im happy I choose to change schools, not sure which curriculum they follow, but they are not preparing kids for the real world here. Teachers are great but seeing them leave and no one giving an explanation is a sign of jump ship.

Posted June 3, 2014

Ivy offers the tight knit community feel. Academically I have seen other schools do better, but also other schools do worse, so its' in the middle. There are definitely some bullying issues, but Ms. Gennaro and Mrs. Lyons were always very good, at making my child comfortable enough to realize she can complain to an adult. My main concern is with the direction the school is taking, in regards to the current Executive Director, is so disconnected and uncaring to issues such as teacher retention,facility location (we got an email saying we will move to TAFT in April). Im really worried for next year as I heard so many parents are pulling out their children.

Posted April 3, 2014

I am more content with Ivy now than I have been in the last seven years. It was a difficult decision to keep my daughter here for middle school. She scored a perfect score in both math and language arts (CST s) last year. I felt like Ivy wouldn t challenge her enough. I was wrong. I love her teachers and she is truly being challenged. My son (5th grade) also scored advanced last year, yet his teacher this year is really being tough with him regarding taking responsibility for his grades, turning in projects on time, etc so that he will be prepared for middle school. Love it! Even though I am not a fan of Common Core, my friend (who teaches at LAUSD) told me that if Common Core works anywhere it will be at a school like Ivy. I tend to agree. I have a lot of teachers/administration/staff to thank for the last seven years and the education my children have received. As for the future? I did a tour of the high school campus last week and heard from some of the students. For the first time, I am actually keeping Ivy as an option for high school. I was so impressed! Yes, I have come a long way because Ivy has come a long way.

Posted April 2, 2014

Best option compared to the lethargic public schools and overcharged, overrated private schools. Teachers work really hard and are great. The administration tries had too but can step up their organizing and communicating methods.

Posted March 26, 2014

Ivy is a great school with lots of potential. The teachers work hard but could use more support from administration. Leadership is a quality that needs to be exploited. I think the passion is there to make this a great school. I think there are too many parents that expect perfection and criticize excessively. I also hate that the teachers formed a union. I brought my child to the Charter system to get AWAY from the teacher's unions. I believe the unions degrade learning quality. But Ivy is ahead of the curb. I just hope they can replace the administration.

Posted December 8, 2013

This school used to have language classes, but they have been removed for some idiotic reason. Another problem with this school is that the school does little to provide a sufficient amount of sports equipment. There are many bullies as well. No wonder there wasn't a waiting list this year.

Posted October 21, 2013

Simply love it!! The school supports the children and gives them an incredible twist on education. Ivy is an entrepreneurial focused independent charter school. They do grade level projects where all courses work together and create a finished assignment. As they grow in the school eventually they are creating projects and all core classes are inputing to the finished product. They will create a business and everything that goes with it from opening a checking account, business plan, create the product and eventually sell it to the students. They will pay taxes and balance their checkbooks. It's great!! I love the support and intention from the teachers and staff for successful, smart and educated students ready for the real world and working as a team.

Posted October 5, 2013

Over 30 teachers left this year, director doesn't have a vision and can care less about students and staff. LAUSD needs to take a closer look! Good old Ivy is long gone!

Posted August 9, 2013

Ivy Academia has seen better times and days. I believe if the administration really cares about the original vision for the school and about the future of the kids, they will immediately implement plans for renewal of the school, physically and otherwise. De Soto is disgustingly dirty. The administration is and always has been rude. They are always complaining and it's almost like they don't even like working with each other much less the being there for the students. Do not waste your time. Ivy is now a "has been". Should things change in the future, it may be a charter to once again consider. But as of today, it is a huge disapointment. How sad.

Posted August 1, 2013

I'm a mother with a child that has been with Ivy since Kinder. Aesthetics=Disgusting, Education/Academics=Outstanding, Teachers=Outstanding, Staff=Average. Used to be if one child does not get the material, extra attention is provided for that child but the remaining class continues on (til our recent change of Directors who want TRADITIONAL LAUSD). Gone is the GATE Program also, the person that ran it has become "rough around the edges" and GATE is not available 'til 4th grade. Sunny Brae is disgusting but it's not because Administration but the fight with LAUSD. De Soto is no better. The strict budget does not provide for daily janitors and rely on parent volunteers. They keep the learning materials going and salaries. Sunny Brae (at one point) wouldn't let our kids use their restrooms and make them walk across to our campus? If you are looking for a "pretty school", this is not it. However, if you want your kids to excel and be in the 500's with CSTAR, this is the school. I'm personally still on the fence about WHES GATE/Ivy Academia. I know LAUSD will not correspond with me as well as my current teachers at Ivy but I can't stand seeing a GREAT school turn to LAUSD school.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students78%

Fluent-English proficient and English only48%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)42%
Parent education - college graduate60%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students76%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/AN/A
English language learners 10%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Pre-School
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 25% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 60% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 5% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 10% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation UCLA
CSUN
Pierce College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
German
Russian
Spanish
Farsi
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • LA Daily News Favorite Charter School Readers' Choice (2014)
  • UCLA Echo Project Award (2013)
  • GATES Millennium Scholarship (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • American Red Cross (2014)
  • West Valley Food Pantry (2013)
  • Children's Hospital (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Senior Internships
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
  • Debate
  • National Honor Society
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 432 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents43237%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Caroline Wesley
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Individually guided instruction
  • Internships
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • Business management

• None
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Donations in lieu of Service
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor