Public charter
Woodland Hills, CA
Students enrolled: 1,100

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Ivy Academia Entrepreneurial Charter School is a FREE, PUBLIC Charter School that serves students in grades TK-12. Ivy Academia is the largest start-up, independent charter school in the San Fernando Valley authorized by LAUSD. We are committed to small class sizes, fully credentialed teachers, individualized instruction and a focus on entrepreneurial education each and every day. We take great pride in the academic excellence and the entrepreneurial program. For the past decade, Ivy Academia provided our families and community with high quality education and innovative opportunities. Facilities are our greatest challenge, and we work tirelessly to address the space we are provided by LAUSD each year and to improve private leases. Currently, Ivy Academia Elementary (Grades TK-6) is co-located on Taft Charter High School in Woodland Hills. We have developed a very positive working relationship with the Taft administrators and Taft Student Council. Ivy Academia Junior/High School (Grades 7-12) is located on Shomrei Torah Synagogue campus in West Hills. We have the most supportive relationship with our landlords. We would love to have our own campus, but we have consistently done the best we can with what is offered and available. Despite these challenges, Ivy Academia continues to provide a high quality education to our students. Our students and families appreciate the small class sizes and the attentiveness of teachers and administrators. Ivy Academia is a family! Due to the dedication and commitment of our teachers, administrators and parents, our students take AP courses in high school and are accepted to impressive universities. In addition, the students graduate with a real-world entrepreneurial knowledge that they will be able to apply. There is always room for improvement, and we work diligently to address the needs of each and every student. We invite you to give your child the opportunity to create, to innovate, to explore, and to learn as Ivy Academia Educates Our Next Generation of Entrepreneurs! Visit www.ivyacademia.com
August 18, 2014

Ivy Academia School
Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 17, 2015
This school doesn't care about students opinion, as long as they show up they don't care. ( teachers get paid depending on students attendance)

Posted August 12, 2015
I enrolled my kid to Ivy Academia 5 years ago and the school was top notch, but unfortunately for the last 2,3 years it just fall apart, good teachers left same as good students, the new teachers are not good. I have to be his own teacher everyday from math to language art, as a 4th grader he can't write a good, complete paragraph. I don't know if the teacher had time to check their online homework individually. Then there was a kid that bullied my son and the school didn't do anything about it, they don't want to lose enrollment which mean losing fund, it used to be so hard to get in but now is more like free enrollment, anyone can get in. It was sad for my kid when I put him to another school but he couldn't learn if stay, good bye Puma.

Posted July 14, 2015
Parents please pay attention to the negative comments, they are true. I have been at this school for many yrs & never been more disappointed as I have in the last couple of yrs. Yes, when I first decided to apply for the school it was great, the campuses were not so convenient, but the teachers & everything that the school had to offer was AWESOME, so the campus didn't seem so important. I was looking forward to having my kids attend the school until they were off to college, but all that came to a halt a few years after the original co-founder left. Things started going down hill, programs were taking away, good families were leaving & a lot of good teachers were gone. Unfortunately, the new director came and changed everything that Ivy stood for and turned it to a public school. This last year my child didn't really get much of an education due to lack of experienced teachers. Ivy lost a lot of funding due to lack of enrollment, which was never an issue before, you couldn't get into the school b/c of a long waiting list, well that doesn't exist anymore. They are begging us to tell our families & friends to enroll at IVY, that's not going to happen. I would not recommend this school to anyone. This has become a BAD LAUSD school. You'll have your die hard Ivy fans disagree w/me, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion & this is mine. DO NOT send your kids there!!!! Also do your homework and see how many kids that graduated from Ivy went to any Ivy league University or a big University. Most of the graduates end up in Jr. Colleges. I know I want more for my kids & so do they. Hope this helps with your decision.

Posted April 26, 2015
Ivy Academia is an amazing entrepreneurial school with teachers and students that are highly engaged with a curriculum that is designed, and constantly reviewed, to meet the needs of all students with many levels of academic achievement. Even with budget and staff cuts, Ivy has still manages to be a top-notch charter school for it academic work! We've been with Ivy Academia for 7 years. I feel fortunate and proud to be a part of the IVY family!

Posted April 11, 2015
My kid is in fourth grade, not able to write a complete paragraph, not able to understand what he read, never bring a paper package assignment home that he may need to turn it in for credits. All assignments were online that the teacher may not needs to grade or looks over. If the fourth grader don't get the concept or failing, too bad!!! Go some where to keep guessing or playing with IXL To get credit ( understand or not is not important, just keep get credit and move on). What happen to the Ivy that Great Russians recommend ??? So sad to witness a falling institutions Ivy at Taft A Parent who cannot sleep 4 am, April 10, 2015

Posted February 05, 2015
We had very high hopes for this place, we heard it's "great". Nothing can be further from the truth. I believe it does not even merit the name of "school", at least the part we were exposed to, located in Taft High. While I can sympathize that LAUSD stuck them with this location, the challenges that presented have nothing to do with the failings of Ivy as a teaching institution. Here is what my kid experienced in the few months he wasted there in the Fall if 2014: a bunch of teachers quit, some right away, others right before Xmas, (the replacements never stopped complaining - TO THE KIDS! - about having to come over there and teach because they liked their previous classes so much more - ?!?!?!); my kid either got A or an F - nothing in between; the homework assigned never had anything to do with what was being taught: (did they made it up as they went along?); there were more subs teaching than regular teachers,; and nobody, ever, from the office or the teaching staff, returned my calls (i live out of town). We pulled our kid out of there after Xmas break: he described Ivy as a "summer camp with some classes thrown in". Keep your kid far away from this sad excuse for school.

Posted November 17, 2014
As a student, I am able to discuss on how my school works in the inside. We students are taught entrepreneur skills that will help us later on in life when we want to create a business or be employed for one. Though Ivy Academia is not the richest of schools we are still able to strive and educate future business owners. Many of the students are kind and we have learned to accept differences whether you are gay or physically challenged. In fact these kids are appreciated for there differencesThis shows how tough of a school we are. Hopefully this review from a students perspective is helpful to you.

Ivy Academia School 3

Posted October 14, 2014
Great school philosophy...but my child's experience here could have been better met with more support by staff less governed by politics, personal ties & job security. Administration, staff & parents are hard working. Apparently not the worst charter school or the best. A little more integrity & personal ethics are always good though in matters of conflict resolution.

Posted September 16, 2014
Great school. Small class size. Great teachers! Good school environment! Easy to reach administrator!. My kids at high school have great friends! Good percentage students go college!

Posted September 13, 2014
Ivy is one of the only schools in the nation that offers entrepreneurial education imbedded into the curriculum. Ivy exposes students to core subjects aligned to the Common Core, NGSS and E-Standards. This year, teachers received new curriculum and technology! Teachers have 4-6 computers in their room, a computer lab that all classes visit weekly, and we are assigning online homework. Students participate weekly in Ivy Community where they learn about aspects of a business and collaborate to design and open their own businesses. Students learn first hand about supply and demand, writing a business plan, and running their own businesses. This is my 6th year at Ivy and although we have faced many challenges due to facilities, the quality of our teachers has never faltered. Ivy has worked tirelessly to make sure our campus at Taft is safe and an optimal learning environment. LAUSD has never provided appropriate space for our school to operate without overcoming major challenges. Until we get the space we are entitled to, teachers and staff will continue to work diligently to keep Ivy a successful entrepreneurial-based school.

Ivy Academia School
5461 Winnetka Ave., Woodland Hills, CA  91367
Last modified Ivy Academia School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ivy Academia School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 299 reviews. Top