Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Had to lottery into SCES...and we were blessed enough to have made it in. We have been with SCES for two years now and we really love it. I visited many schools before choosing SCES. Some the schools were a little to extreme and stuffy, others weren't welcoming, and others not diverse enough. But the SCES parents and staff really made you feel welcomed and like you belonged at the school. I'm not the typical PTO parent, but the energy and staff and parents at SCES make you want to be apart of it all...even if its just making cookie donations for the bake sale, or candy donations for halloween. My son has really enjoyed school, learning, and his teacher as much as can be expected for a 6 year old. The teachers, staff, principal, and parents all work toward the same goal in mind...the education of our kids. We are a family, and we all care about what happens here at SCES.

This school is an underrated gem. The campus is beautiful. The staff is enthusiastic. The teachers are top notch. And the principal really cares about the kids. The academic program is superb. I don't know why this isn't mentioned more. This school had a huge increase in test scores last year. Great Schools needs to update their data, because the scores shown here are way out of date. The best part to me is the community of parents surrounding the school. The PTO here works hard to fund several enrichment programs that most schools do not have. It boggles my mind that there aren't hundreds of families applying for the lottery here. This school is the real deal. And it's one of the best LAUSD has to offer.

As a second year parent at Serrania, I would like to tell you what makes Serrania a great school for us. Great Educators & Staff – Not only are the teachers knowledgeable, they dedicate their time outside of classroom to help the kids. They truly care about the success of each kid and you can see this from interacting with them. We don’t have one negative thing to say about the TK teacher Ms Stane & Ms Riley from last year. Not only are the kinder teachers great, other teacher like Ms Sperber & Ms Cole, and even Principle Alvarado actively participate at the PTA/FOS Meetings to help communicate to the parents and try their best to help improve the school on their own time. These people are role models for our kids and I don’t think there are more qualified people to do this job. Great School – Like most of parents, I looked up the school ranking when deciding on the school, but what the ranking doesn’t tell you is that Serrania is a SAS (Schools for Advanced Studies), this means that it has higher requirements for its educators than Magnet Schools. The program offers an intensive academic articulated program in which both innovative and traditional courses are taught. You can google the requirements for SAS yourself. Not only that, Serrania is also a California distinguished school which consistently performs in the top 5% of the school in the entire state of California. This school is and should be the school you want for your kids. The Community – When you come to Serrania, it isn’t just going to another school but joining a community. They welcome you with open arms and take care of your needs. There are numerous number of caring parents volunteering their time to make this a great community, they lead by examples for not only their kids, but all the kids in the school. Someone wise once said that it takes a village to raise a kid properly, and I can only think of Serrania to describe what that “village” is like. Like all of the reviews you will see out there, you will probably take mine with a grain of salt, so instead of trusting other’s opinion, you should personally tour the school when the time comes and decide for yourself !.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Very ineffective because they have not been willing to embrace the common core standards in recent years even though it's familiar to older teachers, some new ones are being vocal and hesitating. It's silly, they are quite silly here how they follow the leader like a line up game. The more experienced teachers should stand their ground since I know that kind of teaching is familiar to them. That's my honest opinion based on my recent experience of a few years at this school. This site is for honest opinions and constructive criticism and my constructive criticism is that the more experienced teachers should take the bull by the horns and stop letting some new people with ideas bulldoze over the whole thing. I left the school for reasons like this, but my opinions are still more valid for this school than for any new school where I'm too new to judge. I was a parent at this school.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

It's all over the place. Zero consistentcy. Too much busy work, not enough reliability or current assignments. They assign some exact same things to all the grades. So odd.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Absolutely not. Not even close. It's the main reason people leave. Bullying by both parents and children of the chosen set. Harrassment really.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Leadership at this school has been historically ineffective at providing a secure environment for the full diversity of it's students and families. If you cave in to the pressure of being "diagnosed"by teachers and parents whomhave no business diagnosing your child or family you will be supported, spoiled, protected, and fare well. If you are not a special needs family but still expect respect and fairness and a high quality education, good luck. They will not uplift you unless you have allowed them to put you down first. That's why they have a problem with retention. People get fed up and leave. All leadership has been ineffective at solving this problem, they just brush the problems under the rug and then ask people in meetings to go online and write positive reviews, while whining to the review sites that things are "unfair". They are. Not to them though. To the families that expected normalcy.

Supports LD students: Agree

With the assistance of a wonderful APEIS and great Special Ed, Resource and grade level Teachers gaps can be bridged.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I love all our teachers. They go above and beyond to give our children an amazing experience.

Amount of homework: Neutral

I am not a proponent of homework. Studies show it does not effectively change the outcome of test scores. In addition, I don't feel that I should have to go back to school just to relearn this new Common Core way of doing things. So it's not my schools problem, it's a State issue!

Last modified Serrania Avenue Charter For Enriched Studies is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.